We did this

Simon

We did this

Post by Simon »

Well, to be honest, my contribution was completed about 9 months ago.
IMG_20191003_170740.jpg
IMG_20191003_170740.jpg (253.7 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
So, the other half developed gestational diabetes, so they said as they never let GD babies go full term that they'd be inducing her sometime in week 38-39.

Went in on Monday and she was induced late in the evening. 4 gels/tablets and 2 days later and she'd finally started to move on, so yesterday they moved us to a lovely delivery room, and an amazing midwife joined us. They were just able to break her waters and put her on oxytocin to bring on the contractions. Around midnight the anaesthetist came and did the epidural which settled her right down and allowed her to get a bit of sleep overnight whilst the contractions went on. Today, after a little distress for the baby, and with a lack of progress from the O/H they said we need to go c-section to get him out quickly. 30 minutes later he was in my arms whilst the O/H was being closed up again.

Words will never be enough to describe the wave of emotions of seeing your son for the first time whilst he's held aloft over the sheet in the operating theatre, whilst hearing him cry into the crowded room as he takes his first breathes. But what will really stay with me forever is the O/H bursting into floods of tears of pure joy the very second she saw him. Quite incredible.

He is utterly perfect. He smiles, he holds my finger, and he's the most placid little chap I've ever encountered. Other than the natural first breath cries and the bit of a moan when he had his first injection he's not uttered a cry at all. He gurgles a bit, he feeds and he loves a cuddle. Couldn't ask for any more.

Finally, it's the NHS. Yes, I know we all know it's great, but we received nothing but smiles and support and encouragement, even whilst I was asking stupid questions, or the O/H was asking them to repeat what they said for the third time and slowly, because her English isn't perfect. And seeing them flock and organise like a well practiced orchestra when we needed to have him whipped out quickly was humbling.

This is our son, Noah.

And now I need to sleep.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Re: We did this

Post by Carlos »

Congratulations bulb, he looks like a champ :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Don’t get too used to that whole “sleep” thing - You’ve got some craziness to look forward to, but some cool stuff to outweigh it! Congratulations!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Congrats!
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

8-) Congrats Simon
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 pm Don’t get too used to that whole “sleep” thing - You’ve got some craziness to look forward to, but some cool stuff to outweigh it! Congratulations!
100% - just you wait 'til they're lamping you in the face and kicking you in the balls :lol:

Congratulations Simon.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Congratulations! That's great news. And obviously Noah would bring on a flood (of tears).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Congrats!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Epic. Hearty congratulations to all. :geek:

And yeah - as Rich highlights, get used to feeling that level of tired for the next decade. 8-)
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Congratulations 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Congrats on your ejaculation and your OH’s.
The birth bit sounds horrific as usual.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Congratulations to all involved :D 8-)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Fantastic news Simon, congratulations to you all 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Great news, hi Noah!!

Dave!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Congratulations, being a dad is without doubt the best part of my entire life. :)

Well done to all.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Congratulations Simon...

Your experience sounds very similar to ours - induction followed by 2 days of very little movement followed by C-Section.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
evostick

Post by evostick »

Congratulations 8-)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Who's the Daddy!!

Very well done to you and your family. Those first few moment are rather emotional especially if surgery was involved. Out through the sunroof was quite the thing to watch when my little one arrived. I bawled my eyes out!

Awesome stuff.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 pm Don’t get too used to that whole “sleep” thing - You’ve got some craziness to look forward to, but some cool stuff to outweigh it! Congratulations!
Word!

Congratulations. Welcome to the club.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:30 am Who's the Daddy!!
You missed off the question mark ;)

Congratulations Simon! I hope he gets a PhD so he can become Dr Who in a couple of decades 8-)