FTAO (Land Rover) Tim

dinny_g

Re: FTAO (Land Rover) Tim

Post by dinny_g »

My Briggs and Stratton engined Mountfield, resplendent with a “Reliable Starting” sticker, NEVER started right...😂

I realise I must have had a rare lemon as most folks swear by them.

One Saturday morning, I got so frustrated with it, I threw it against a wall (seriously :lol: ) and departed in a significant huff to the garden centre and dropped nearly £400 on a Toro... which hasn’t put a foot wrong since..
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s good and shit models for Briggs and Stratton but I’m not up to date on it anymore. It’s not like a Honda or Kohler where any engine you get is decent. Of course the more expensive motors found in Hayters and the like are solid but it’s the stuff which costs a few hundred quid new that you need to be careful of and try to avoid them.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Cleaned the filthy (foam) air filter and removed the excess fresh oil that whoever just serviced it added. After 5 minutes of confused attempts to start it without pulling the operator-presence lever.... mega belm, it is now running like....

mik

Post by mik »

So the awesume mrs mik got me an SGS 2-stroke leaf blower & strimmer/brush cutter for Chrimbo. 8-)

I did a run-in procedure for both (10mins idling with changes in speed and a few blips).

I am a stickler for warming up an engine though before putting it under load, to ensure the oil is ready to work.... but how does that work with 2-strokes? Should I still let them warm up a bit (at idle?) before going for full throttles?
Barry

Post by Barry »

From my old motorcycle experience, they won't like idling from cold and you risk fouling the plug, gentle blipping seemed the best option back then, followed by a build up of loading until it revs cleanly.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Barry wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 am From my old motorcycle experience, they won't like idling from cold and you risk fouling the plug, gentle blipping seemed the best option back then, followed by a build up of loading until it revs cleanly.
So in essence, ride it like a 16 year old riding his moped to his new girlfriend 8-)

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Arf - it’ll idle and rev cleanly straight from cold Baz - I just want to ensure I am not damaging it. But with air cooling and oil in the fuel....I assume “normal” temperatures and lube conditions for the moving bits are achieved pretty quickly? 🤔
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Turn on, give a few blips so it doesn’t stall. Put on gloves and earbuds, give it teh full beanz.
How about not having a sig at all?
evostick

Post by evostick »

Just rev it. Synth oil aids longevity I have found but I expect that the shitty plastics on that will fall apart long before the chinky 2 smoke fails anyway :P
Barry

Post by Barry »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:57 am
Barry wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 am From my old motorcycle experience, they won't like idling from cold and you risk fouling the plug, gentle blipping seemed the best option back then, followed by a build up of loading until it revs cleanly.
So in essence, ride it like a 16 year old riding his moped to his new girlfriend 8-)

Dave!
Pretty much 😁

I used to fire my moped up on the centre stand, immediately hold WOT until it cleared, then set off for school..