Telly

scotta

Telly

Post by scotta »

Sky are taking the piss. Monthly bills for the entertainment and movies have now gone up to £75 a month. Best they can do if i re sign for 18 months and pay a £10 admin fee is £67 a month. As a result im looking to fuck them off.

I cant get Virgin. Not available in this area.

Now TV look like a possible option. £20 a month for the entertainment and movies package. I would loose the recording option though and i pretty much never watch anything live these days. They do offer on demand but im not sure how quick it updates and if you get the full content from discovery and nat geo - which is mainly what i watch.

Plusnet offer a youview service for quite cheap. But it doesn't have the sky channels that Mrs A watches her stuff on.

Anything im missing? We already have netflix and prime.

PS - not fussed for sports and although i watch the occasional F1 thats not a big miss.
Broccers

Re: Telly

Post by Broccers »

Plex on a roku 4k stick is quite affordable with 60 quid a year sub :)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:44 pm Plex on a roku 4k stick is quite affordable with 60 quid a year sub :)
im sure i can get a plex app on my Samsung telly. However their channel lookup on their website seems broken.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sack it off and just get a Freesat+ recording box? Plugs into the Sky cable which comes into your house, covers the main channels. And/or Freeview+ if you have a traditional telly aerial on the house; there are some differences in the channels available.
Use other channels' apps to watch their stuff which isn't on Freesat/Freeview.

ETA: Nat Geo and Discovery seem to be on TVPlayer (whatever that is) - £6.99 a month.
Last edited by Jobbo on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:48 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:44 pm Plex on a roku 4k stick is quite affordable with 60 quid a year sub :)
im sure i can get a plex app on my Samsung telly. However their channel lookup on their website seems broken.
Lots of people offer access to their servers for a small sum - most of the tv you could ever want bar live sports is there to stream.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:50 pm Sack it off and just get a Freesat+ recording box? Plugs into the Sky cable which comes into your house, covers the main channels. And/or Freeview+ if you have a traditional telly aerial on the house; there are some differences in the channels available.

ETA: Nat Geo and Discovery seem to be on TVPlayer (whatever that is) - £6.99 a month.
TV Player is like a freeview + app for people who don't have an aerial. I used it to watch something on ITV Box Office a few months ago. I'm pretty sure you can get the basic freeview channels for free.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Don’t go down the dodgy box option, the police have stated they will prosecute everyone who has taken out a sub and they did a massive raid a while back.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-raid- ... e-11813148

I’m sure you can get most of your channels back through multiple apps, but that does seem a lot of effort. (Plus explaining it all to the missus prevents me from ever doing it myself! 😂)
Cheers,

Ian
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

IanF wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:35 pm Don’t go down the dodgy box option, the police have stated they will prosecute everyone who has taken out a sub and they did a massive raid a while back.

I’m sure you can get most of your channels back through multiple apps, but that does seem a lot of effort. (Plus explaining it all to the missus prevents me from ever doing it myself! 😂)
My, limited, understanding is that as long as you are not pirating live content then it's not illegal. IPTV of sports etc most certainly comes under that umbrella.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:42 pm Sky are taking the piss. Monthly bills for the entertainment and movies have now gone up to £75 a month. Best they can do if i re sign for 18 months and pay a £10 admin fee is £67 a month. As a result im looking to fuck them off.

I cant get Virgin. Not available in this area.

Now TV look like a possible option. £20 a month for the entertainment and movies package. I would loose the recording option though and i pretty much never watch anything live these days. They do offer on demand but im not sure how quick it updates and if you get the full content from discovery and nat geo - which is mainly what i watch.

Plusnet offer a youview service for quite cheap. But it doesn't have the sky channels that Mrs A watches her stuff on.

Anything im missing? We already have netflix and prime.

PS - not fussed for sports and although i watch the occasional F1 thats not a big miss.
Cancel and wait until it's nearly finished. My last renewal was done like that and I'm on 2tb sky q with 1 mini box and every package and I pay £46 a month iirc

Get them on web chat and keep them on there until they crack. Works every time for me.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:50 pm Sack it off and just get a Freesat+ recording box? Plugs into the Sky cable which comes into your house, covers the main channels. And/or Freeview+ if you have a traditional telly aerial on the house; there are some differences in the channels available.

This.

Jacked in the Sky/VM mega-TV bundles years ago, and now just on Freeview with Netflix. Not much I miss, and the savings are significant.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Matty wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:25 pm

This.

Jacked in the Sky/VM mega-TV bundles years ago, and now just on Freeview with Netflix. Not much I miss, and the savings are significant.
This. We can record three things at once, have all the catchup services and saved about £50/month. Box was about £200.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
scotta

Post by scotta »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:45 pm

This.

This. We can record three things at once, have all the catchup services and saved about £50/month. Box was about £200.
Deffo worth a look.
scotta

Post by scotta »

IanF wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:35 pm Don’t go down the dodgy box option, the police have stated they will prosecute everyone who has taken out a sub and they did a massive raid a while back.

I won’t be. I refused to assist someone setup theirs as I wanted nothing to do with it. Not worth the risk when my employment requires constant PES checks.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:45 pm

This.

Deffo worth a look.
I went for a Humax FVP-4000 to get freeview play. There's a newer version out now. It isn't as slick to use as the sky/virgin boxes, but it does the job well enough. Only big annoyance is the feebleness of the remote record feature.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ive discovered an issue - i use sky for my email account. loosing that would be a massive pain in the arse.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I don’t even pay for a TV license anymore
Richard

Post by Richard »

scotta wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 am Ive discovered an issue - i use sky for my email account. loosing that would be a massive pain in the arse.
And this is why you shouldn’t use the “free” email addresses provided to you by your ISP
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Richard wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:03 am I don’t even pay for a TV license anymore
I was going to cancel mine, until I forgot and it autorenewed. You had any visits from the TV police yet?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

scotta wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 am Ive discovered an issue - i use sky for my email account. loosing that would be a massive pain in the arse.
Set up a gmail or hotmail account now, set up auto-forwarding from the Sky account, and reply to everyone from your new account. Won't take long to switch with the bonus that you'll cut down on spam.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Matty wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am
Richard wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:03 am I don’t even pay for a TV license anymore
I was going to cancel mine, until I forgot and it autorenewed. You had any visits from the TV police yet?
Last night actually.

They asked Her if we watched live TV or had Sky.

Seemed nice, apparently