RWC Japan

GG.

Re: RWC Japan

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 pm Do national games (between different NZ teams) include a double Haka, or is it done for International matches only?

I think it is cool, but having a different rule for 1 country is of course stoopid.
2 countries. The Tongans have their equivalent, the Sipi Tau.

For Mik's amusement:

IMO its part of the fabric of Rugby. Its been around pretty much as long as international fixtures have existed, is part of its heritage and theatre and should be retained. I'm looking forward to what the hell my three year old is going to make of it seeing it for the first time on Saturday :D

Also LOL at anyone getting uptight at people singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:33 pm Funerals can be pretty trying though.
It seems like it goes on for days and all you get at the end is an urn with some ashes. Hang on, no, that's the wrong sport...
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

I think there's an equivalent to the Haka in most Pacific countries, but honestly, I'm not as versed on the islands and their traditions. I'm almost certain either Fiji or Samoa did theirs at the RWC too, as well as Tonga I mean - possibly both of them did.

And as for the questions about why it's directed at the other team - part of the deeper meanings of it are in credit and respect to the other side - like an acknowledgement of a worthy opponent if you like. It obviously sounds super aggressive and I don't speak Te Reo (Māori language) well enough to pick the words well, or more importantly the emphasis on phrases etc, but there's a lot more to it than intimidation. Frankly you hear Māori talk in Te Reo about anything when they're passionate about it and it all sounds pretty feisty - it's quite a staccato language, when it's in full flow it's really pointy and percussive.

But yeah, removal of it, putting it down or not acknowledging it is for NZ, and many other Pacific islands a huge cultural snub - like I said before, very much like choosing to deny or offer any respect for a large part of who they are as a people. Maybe it's because of the work that I do, but I understand a lot more clearly after being here how most European countries during that time of colonisation, and to be frank also the US with native Americans (and there are other examples) conquered the world through blindly assuming their way of seeing things was more important, their guns were bigger and so countries like NZ and Australia spent a lot of time being quite 'Western' and are only now seeing the damage it's done stripping away original, native cultures and beliefs. I don't view the world the same way as Māori at all, but I do my best never to disrespect anyone who does. Or Pacifica cultures. Haka and their equivalents are a big part of that. So are waiata (songs/hymns) and not singing them in a call and response manner while doing a Māori or Pacific welcome is a bit like strapping a token 'white racist bastard' sign on your head. A Kiwi kid going through school often identifies with the Haka equally whether they're Māori, white, Chinese NZ etc. these days - not because of them being Māori but because it's a strong way all Kiwis identify with themselves and where they come from.

And yeah I reckon there'd be more people attached to the Haka as a way of identifying their sense of home than the national anthem - would be pretty close here I think...

To answer one of the questions directly...
dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 am Also, why is it only Rugby teams (and, erm Men's Field Hockey :shock: ) that perform a Haka before their games.

Genuine question to Dave ?

Edit - also, why is Kapa o Pango only brought out against certain teams ??
It's not just NZ as mentioned above and it's not just rugby either. Much more widespread, but just doesn't get televised as heavily anywhere else as it does with an ABs game.

Kapa o Pango was developed specifically for the ABs I believe either last RWC or 2011. They did it over a long time working directly with Iwi (Māori tribes/family/areas/lineage) to ensure its meaning is anchored genuinely in Māori belief structures and identity. My understanding of it is that it's reserved for special occasions as a sign of greater respect, greater challenge, more cards on the table. The infamous 'throat slitting' symbolism present in it is actually a symbol of breathing in fresh breaths of life but I think there's a bit of artistic license in use at times. Interestingly the same Haka can be performed differently by people from different areas - a little like dialects if you like. Māori is an oral language historically so the performance of a Haka can be different in the same way different dialects are. Many Iwi also have their own, or multiple Hakas. I've heard maybe like 5 or 6 but I understand there are many more. The two the ABs use seem to stem from either being one which is common across NZ (Ka Mate) or from it being developed for them (Kapa o Pango). Genuinely wouldn't be surprised in the future if there are others, yet the sentiment and symbolism remain largely the same.

I feel quite stupid explaining this because I'm still just a white English tit who's trying hard to broaden his horizons and learn about other cultures - that doesn't make me versed enough to talk about it as though I'm right, there's so many holes in my knowledge. But I guess, on here it's me or maybe Rod when he shows up? Better than nothing and if it sheds any light on it at all, can't be a bad thing. :)
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

To add to Dave's answers - most Polynesian teams do something similar, the Tongan Sipi Tau GG posted above, the Fijian Cibi, the Samoan Siva Tau, Cook Island Haka, Niuean Takalo, and so on but since they aren't often seen on the world stage you won't see the others beyond events like Polyfest.

Someone else mentioned them being intimidating, and they are, but you have to think about the cultural context. These were all developed in places of very limited land (small islands/atolls) so if someone is paying you a visit you want to add some "don't fuck with us" to your welcome. That welcome side of it does seem to get lost. The haka is just as much a welcome, as an example here is Prince Charles being invited onto a meeting ground. Sure, they showed power/mana, but they also exchanged gifts and then later shared breath with him. To perform the haka was honoring him as a visitor worthy of respect, just as an opposing team is honored before a game.

Someone else asked why it's only performed before a game - that is a very All Blacks tradition. Other teams mix it up. The Black Ferns (NZ women's rugby 7s and 15s) often perform different haka after matches either to the other team or to their supporters. Here's the 7s Black Ferns team post match to the crowd. Here's the Pulse netball team receiving a haka from their supporters and returning one after winning the grand final.

and finally for Gavin. Badminton New Zealand briefly named their teams the Black Cocks but sadly the Badminton World Federation didn't like if for some reason. Now it's only an unofficial nickname.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Peterlplp wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am and finally for Gavin. Badminton New Zealand briefly named their teams the Black Cocks but sadly the Badminton World Federation didn't like if for some reason. Now it's only an unofficial nickname.
:lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Peterlplp wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am

and finally for Gavin. Badminton New Zealand briefly named their teams the Black Cocks but sadly the Badminton World Federation didn't like if for some reason. Now it's only an unofficial nickname.
Probably had to get rid so as not to confuse people, Most of the world call any English sports team the Cocks... :o
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

What a top notch set of games. Despite having to layover in Shanghai for 24hrs due to the Typhoon, it hasn’t tarnished the trip at all. Due to this delay, I got to the Scotland Japan game literally just as the whistle blew, having had to sprint from Yokohama station, complete with all the Japanese tournament volunteers clapping and cheering me on like something out of Forrest Gump. The atmosphere has been amazing.

Both All Blacks v Ireland and Japan v South Africa were excellent games too, and the All Blacks look on frightening form. Sad to see Japan go out to the Saffers, but they’ve been perfect hosts as you’d expect.

Great country and just sad I can’t stay around for a little longer.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

KiwiDave wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 am A very thorough response...
Thanks for the reply Dave. Appreciate the effort...

I presume then the use of the different Haka’s is sort of well defined...

I mean would you use Ka Mate at a funeral say?? To be honest, the first part is well suited to Rugby. “Let your valor rise! Let your valor rage!” and that but the main part is perfect words for a funeral...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:43 pm
KiwiDave wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 am A very thorough response...
Thanks for the reply Dave. Appreciate the effort...

Yep, and Pete.

Every day is a school day!

Although I do wonder how quick things escalated in the past when the Haka was used to welcome and honour visitors who had no idea what it meant and only saw it a face value...
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s all very nice writing 1000 word answers about why we should respect the tradition of the haka, but kiwiDave you started the whole thing by slagging off Englands (very non-aggressive) way to show unity and support for their team! 🤣
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Who's respecting the traditions of the English / Irish fans to sing at a sports match? That's what I want to know. :cry:

One could argue that if the Haka is such a solemn activity used for funerals and the like it has no place at a light hearted game of sport in the first place. Do they do it before a game of tennis?
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 am Who's respecting the traditions of the English / Irish fans to sing at a sports match? That's what I want to know. :cry:

One could argue that if the Haka is such a solemn activity used for funerals and the like it has no place at a light hearted game of sport in the first place. Do they do it before a game of tennis?
Game or sport Duncs? But not both.

My stance is that if you need you change your shoes to take part it is a sport. if not, it's a game.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Bowling? :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

In any case I meant 'game' as in 'match' rather than focusing on the oft debated difference between a game and a sport. :)
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 am It’s all very nice writing 1000 word answers about why we should respect the tradition of the haka, but kiwiDave you started the whole thing by slagging off Englands (very non-aggressive) way to show unity and support for their team! 🤣
It's not the singing that makes me cringe - I reckon all fans getting behind their teams is a good thing - it's just that goddamn song, makes my skin crawl. I guarantee 99% of the people singing won't have clue why. I've no idea of the history of it, where it came from, why that song over anything else. At which point it's just doing it for the sake of it or doing it because everyone else is - and it's that character trait I loathe. The song itself is just symbolic of it. :lol: :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

I think most people are aware that the song is an old african american folk song/spiritual. The meaning is relatively obvious on the face of it - "coming for to carry me home" is pretty clearly talking about deliverance from adversity.

Yes it is pretty clear that its genesis was rooted in slavery in the original instance so I guess people can moan about cultural appropriation and the oppressors co-opting the songs of the oppressed but its a pretty tedious world we live in where everything has to be placed into its original historical context or face being ethically censored.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 am Yes it is pretty clear that its genesis was rooted in slavery in the original instance so I guess people can moan about cultural appropriation and the oppressors co-opting the songs of the oppressed but its a pretty tedious world we live in where everything has to be placed into its original historical context or face being ethically censored.
It's easy to say that when you're from a country that got rich from going round stealing everyone's shit though isn't it ;).
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d have thought it’s a bit of a fuck you to the Maori that the non-indigenous people who have historically, and in some ways still are contributing to the decline of the Maori are jumping in on their traditions for the fun of it yet still not giving them equal rights.
How about not having a sig at all?
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:21 pm I’d have thought it’s a bit of a fuck you to the Maori that the non-indigenous people who have historically, and in some ways still are contributing to the decline of the Maori are jumping in on their traditions for the fun of it yet still not giving them equal rights.
You're not the only one:

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/3dg8 ... ranslation

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 amBowling? :lol:
Tricky. The last few times I've been I didn't have to change my shoes...

IaFG Down Under Division