What’s ‘too early’ on a Sunday?

Orange Cola

What’s ‘too early’ on a Sunday?

Post by Orange Cola »

I live with a mix of about 1/3 retirees, 1/3 very young families and 1/3 established families, some of whom work nights. Some of the neighbours, the ones who don’t work, have started getting into the habit of making a noise outside on a Sunday starting at 7am. Such actions include hedge and grass cutting with a petrol engine, not consistently either, it’s whizz... whizz... whizz... whizz... We’ve also had stone cutting and circular saws, banging and jet washing. When I’m working from home I find the same group of people start mid-week noise making activities well after 10am and sometimes going up to 10pm which must be difficult for the families with young kids. The usual builders we get mid-week are an 8am start so no issues there.

It got me wondering what’s the unwritten rule about making a racket in a Sunday? 7am is taking the piss, I reckon some people could argue anything before mid-day actually.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
integrale_evo

Re: What’s ‘too early’ on a Sunday?

Post by integrale_evo »

At the weekend usually 10am before making noise, depends though, the neighbours are usually all up and about by 9 anyway.

I think 9am is fairly acceptable, but would be a bit annoyed at people running petrol lawn mowers etc much before that.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’d say 9am too.

Believe it or not, not *everyone* has a minging hangover every Sunday ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Try moving out of the commune.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm Try moving out of the commune.
I live on the edge of a small village, with fields off to one side, I can’t really get much further out without camping in the middle of a field :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm
I live on the edge of a small village, with fields off to one side, I can’t really get much further out without camping in the middle of a field :lol:
where are all these neighbours then? Sounds like there’s lots of them.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:04 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm
where are all these neighbours then? Sounds like there’s lots of them.
One side is fields, so that leaves next door, out the back and up the road ;)
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

10am to 7pm. Anything else is taking the piss.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
GG.

Post by GG. »

I would say it would be reasonable to expect people to follow the general accepted rules for professional contractors for noisy building works (as below). I can't think of any good reason for thinking its fine as a private individual if its prohibited for a contractor. The exception is obviously if its a discrete task on a one-off basis (i.e. not a full refurbishment of a property).

Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
Saturdays 8am to 1pm
No noisy work on Sundays and bank holidays.

As for cutting grass, hedge cutters, power washers, etc. I'd say 9am to 6pm on a Sunday is fine - if not fun if its every Sunday and continuous for the whole period... Having said that, pre-kids I'd have gone with a lot later! :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

9/10 on a Sunday surely? The guy in the corner was power-washing his driveway from about 7 a couple of weeks ago and its amazing how much a little thing like that can make you want to punch someone's lights out. Although to be fair, he's the one neighbour in the street that nobody likes. He also looks like a cross between Wallace (& Gromit) and Nigel Farage, so that's just another thing to add to the list.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

So it's the retirees who are doing stone cutting at 7am on a Sunday?

ETA: I see nothing wrong with mowing grass in the evening in summer; I try to finish by 8pm but if I've been late getting back from work I may go on until 9pm when it's still light until 10.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:39 am So it's the retirees who are doing stone cutting at 7am on a Sunday?

ETA: I see nothing wrong with mowing grass in the evening in summer; I try to finish by 8pm but if I've been late getting back from work I may go on until 9pm when it's still light until 10.
I was cutting my grass on Saturday evening at around 7:30 finishing around 8. I think that’s well acceptable.

I was power cleaning my grans paths earlier in the summer and she was panicking because it was 8 pm and (too late to be making that sort of noise).
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:39 am So it's the retirees who are doing stone cutting at 7am on a Sunday?
Yep, there’s one guy who thinks nothing of it. I think I’ve seen him out cutting wood at 6am-ish before but it was a weekday and I was leaving for work anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:35 pm I’d say 9am too.

Believe it or not, not *everyone* has a minging hangover every Sunday ;)
I don't understand this concept.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I personally wouldn’t do anything noisy before 10am at the weekend. I’d be pissed off at any pre-9 noise made by others on a Sunday.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My next door neighbour has a workshop down the end of his garden. He makes a fair amount of noise but always stops about 7-8pm and never starts early or when he can hear us out in our garden. Suits me well as my littleun is hardly quiet!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Since having a kid, I couldn't give a rats if anyone's making any noise after 8am on a weekend tbh. And if I'm the one lying in with a bad head - I'll sleep through it no trouble
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'd say 9am on a weekend is reasonable for a start time, and in the summer probably around 8pm to finish. I'm an early riser so even 8am wouldn't bother me.

My missus is asleep until 11am some weekends, but if she gets woken up by lawn mowing at 9am that's her tough luck I say! :)