FTAO of mobile phone owners/users

do you:

not use a case because you're not a cack-handed moron
27%
use a case because you're a cack-handed moron
73%
be unable to understand this poll because you're a (regardless of cack-handed rating) moron
No votes

Total votes: 33

Simon

Re: FTAO of mobile phone owners/users

Post by Simon »

I have one of the 'ultra thin' cases on the Pixel. Less than 1mm thick, and a bit grippy too. But the result is practically no extra bulk over the normal phone.

I don't have a screen protector, but the O/H does on her iPhone. She's _constantly_ dropping it, and I have to replace the screen protector every 8-10 weeks or so as it's cracked or whatever.

Even if you do have a case with a lip, the screen can still get damaged if you drop it right.

When I arrived at the hotel in Fuerteventura a couple of years ago the O/H was holding my phone and using it as a nav to navigate to the hotel. We arrived and she rested it on her lap, then as she got out in the car park she forgot about it. It went flying and sliding about 4m along the carpark floor on it's back (in the thin case) and all I needed to do was swap out the case for a new one when I got home. If I didn't have that it would have been knackered beyond words.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had a chunky silicone case on my iPhone 7 Plus years ago, opened car door and phone slipped from the shallow door bin about 30 cm face down into the gravel driveway and cracked right in half. Couldn’t get the screen replaced either as the frame was slightly bent somehow.

Current XS Max is better as the glass has only chipped on both the front and the back rather than cracked.
Is it true that if you break the back glass Apple have will replace the phone? £600 doesn’t seem too back for a brand new phone considering I need both the front screen, the back and the battery is getting on a bit...
How about not having a sig at all?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:06 pm Current XS Max is better as the glass has only chipped on both the front and the back rather than cracked.
Is it true that if you break the back glass Apple have will replace the phone? £600 doesn’t seem too back for a brand new phone considering I need both the front screen, the back and the battery is getting on a bit...

That is correct

Although the replacement phone you get will be a refurb, rather than new-new
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Have you dropped it yet Rev?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm Have you dropped it yet Rev?
Not yet 🤞
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The topic is like asking if it's a good idea to wear leathers on a bike.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Got half a case on mine, the other half broke off.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mous case. Magical magnets will link it to a card wallet / foldy wallet / mount on your dash as is your whim. And it's sturdy as owt.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

A crappy, knackered folding case with a magnetic close clip. Worn, frayed, looks like you wouldn’t want it. And you probably wouldn’t as it holds my free work iPhone SE.
Left over crest; tightens.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

JonMad wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:40 pm A crappy, knackered folding case with a magnetic close clip. Worn, frayed, looks like you wouldn’t want it. And you probably wouldn’t as it holds my free work iPhone SE.
Is it still straight? When I had an se it was the bendiest phone I’ve ever had
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

jamcg wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:52 pm
JonMad wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:40 pm A crappy, knackered folding case with a magnetic close clip. Worn, frayed, looks like you wouldn’t want it. And you probably wouldn’t as it holds my free work iPhone SE.
Is it still straight? When I had an se it was the bendiest phone I’ve ever had
I’ve had an SE for nearly 4 years (relegated to backup phone after getting the XS) and it’s always been solid for me?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

It appears to still be straight, yes. I've not sat on it to see if it will bend.
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Was it not the iPhone 6 that was super bendy?*

* If you sat on it or tried to bend it because Youtube.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, it was the 6 that was flimsy. The SE was the same as the 5 which was solid as a rock.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:00 pm Aye, it was the 6 that was flimsy. The SE was the same as the 5 which was solid as a rock.
If wasn’t actually the same, same external dimensions but the metal was thinner to accommodate the update bits, as a result it was bendier than a 6s, but not as bad as a 6