Little green aliens

Beany

Re: Little green aliens

Post by Beany »

Looked more like a bug stuck in the camera array than anything else.

Also, all the 'videos are real' thing means is that the US Navy have confirmed that the videos are from their aircraft.

Doesn't mean the objects are aliens, or even aircraft. Just that the video footage is from actual aircraft operated by them.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So now the Pentagon have released the three similar videos and confirmed they’re all authentic and of “unexplained aerial phenomena”. Which is interesting and is nothing to do with coronavirus, so there’s that.
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:42 am It’s pretty much a certainty that life is out there.
I’m picking on you for an intelligent conversation ;)

On holiday a few years back I listened to the infinite monkey cage and read (one of) the book(s) where Prof Brian Cox talked through the maths. It was incredible. He went back to the origin of life and explored the chances of the first cell happening, then the chances of first multi-cell organisms and it was really, really fucking slim odds based on what we can do in a lab in perfect conditions let alone out in the wild.

He then applied that to the number of potential bodies out there which could host life, odds are that not all will and those that do will be of even tighter odds to develop multi-cell organisms. Based on the distances involved and the physical limitations of travel for both the human body and physics then statistically should little green men exist we don’t stand a hope of ever bumping into them in person because the universe is so vast. In fact, the universe is so vast we could never hope to populate a significant fraction of it and the human race would most likely die out because the rate of death of the universe will exceed our rate of travel abilities (which of course are limited by physics itself). We’ll probably end up colonising a dying star and harvesting the energy from that, he did put a time from on it of being billions of years away but inevitably there will come a point where the next stepping stone to support life will just be out of our reach.

He also explored the rate of life developing. We can only assume that Earth is the first planet to support life in the whole of the universe especially given the number of coincidences which have to come off in our favour to give us life I the first place, when comparing that to the time lines of Earth starting as a collection of particles at the Big Bang it’s actually happened really, really fast. Faster than most other planet development so there’s no reason to assume anywhere else is advanced as we are just yet.

Fascinating stuff, but very morbid at the same time even if you think you’ll be long gone in circa 20 billion years or something when the human race will die out :lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

[mention]Orange Cola[/mention] Don't forget, as well as the vastness of space separating us, there's the vastness of time. Were we first? Or just the latest? Given the number of extinction level events that have happened on our planet, was someone else luckier?

The Fermi Paradox is no doubt what Brian Cox was on about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Although I think Douglas Adams said it best: “It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well if you try and compare things to the human population... there’s 200 galaxies per human, each of which contains 100 billion stars which each have 10 planets. Good luck finding a little green man in that.
Just in the Milky Way there’s 6 billion stars per person.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Infinite Monkey Cage is one of those podcasts I keep meaning to listen to but have never got round to. Will add it to the phone now.... I did read much of your very informative post [mention]Orange Cola[/mention] in a Hitchhiker’s Guide voice though.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Hopefully Peter Jones rather than Stephen Fry?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

[mention]NotoriousREV[/mention] similar in some ways but with a fair bit of maths. It was a very interesting take on it.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:41 am Infinite Monkey Cage is one of those podcasts I keep meaning to listen to but have never got round to. Will add it to the phone now.... I did read much of your very informative post @Orange Cola in a Hitchhiker’s Guide voice though.
I can’t remember exactly if it was the book or the podcast, I think it was the book. It was a few years ago and I read the book and listened to the pod casts on the same holiday.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am @NotoriousREV similar in some ways but with a fair bit of maths. It was a very interesting take on it.
The Fermi Paradox has a fair bit of maths in it as it’s based on the Drake Equation:

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Some of it is here in the section 2.4 - 3.8 bn years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/the-chance- ... ce/zdjd382

It doesn’t appear to have the rest though.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am Hopefully Peter Jones rather than Stephen Fry?
Peter Jones for sure.

Stephen Fry is always going to be the narrator of Harry Potter.

I'm rewatching Cosmos (Neil DGT version) with the kids and just reading the wiki discovered the sequel "possible worlds" is now out.

As for LGM, I expect life is everywhere in the universe, once it got going on earth it appears to be spectacularly unerradicable. I'm looking forward to seeing a robot probe reach Europa within my lifetime.

Intelligent life? Sadly with c seeminly the insurrmountable universal speed limit maybe we will never hear from any unless it's right next door.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Oh, definitely Peter Jones. Have recently started a rewatch of that with the kids.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Watch?!?!?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Ascender wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:09 am So now the Pentagon have released the three similar videos and confirmed they’re all authentic and of “unexplained aerial phenomena”. Which is interesting and is nothing to do with coronavirus, so there’s that.
Had a look at those three videos for the first time today, and apparently there are longer, unreleased crazier versions, which then led me to this video of (allegedly) something entertainingly swift 😂

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

That's a model plane. Or some very clever editing. Or someone has edited a video of a model plane into another video.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 pm That's a model plane. Or some very clever editing. Or someone has edited a video of a model plane into another video.
Meh. I prefer to think this fella's cruising round at 13,000mph:

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 pm That's a model plane. Or some very clever editing. Or someone has edited a video of a model plane into another video.

There's a childhood memory!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think it's entirely computer generated because they seem to have forgotten that moving at that speed would generate a sonic boom and upset the trees.

And if it's some sort of SuperDuperMagicScienceBullshit explanation, then why does it need to bank to turn? Other than because it looks cool, of course..

It's complete baloney.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm

It looked different when Elon launched it.