Toyota Land Cruiser

Jackleg

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser

Post by Jackleg »

I'd imagine this is making the Aussies worried, it's practically their national vehicle. There must be 100's of thousands just on the mine sites alone. The 70 is just unbeatable for sheer practicality. We had a few hilux's on site and they were just a big ball of fuck after 6 months underground, whereas the cruisers would take absolutely anything you could throw at them.
I still have a hankering for a Troopy camper.something like this :
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

If they have hundreds of thousands there and they never break, I can see why Toyota is stopping making them! 😁
Cheers,

Ian
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Nathan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm
V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 pm They do a SWB commercial Land Cruiser now which I think is available in the UK ?
A Prado basically. Not a real LC.
Aren't they similarly engineered just smaller (slightly) ?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Nope, a Prado is very much a consumer-grade car compared to the almost military-spec Cruiser. Good cars and all but not the same.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Was it not the large Amazon that used t lunch axles or something similar at the cost of £5k? Or was that the prado one?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Never heard of it happening to either tbh.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The biggest problem we ever got with the LC we had in Cabinda was removing the tapered washers when doing a wheel bearing. Bloody hateful things which either popped off beautifully with a tap or welded themselves to the hub.

We had a P38 at the same time which was much more fun but needed airbags, stepper motor for the transfer box and rattled like a mofo on corrugations. It was fantastic on the beach though.

We also had a 2.8 NA diesel Hilux that was just lovely, I genuinely think that will outlast most humans, crap off road but amazingly strong and reliable.

Dave!