Who still frequents a pub?

Explosive Newt

Re: Who still frequents a pub?

Post by Explosive Newt »

It’s more because it’s my work local than my own local. I think wherever I have worked, there has been a favoured hospital pub that we have frequented.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’m in a pub a couple of times a week.

Quiz at the place my missus works at on a Tuesday and a couple of pints after work at a place on the way home on a Friday are the staples.

The pub scene here is pretty good. A decent mix of foodie places, traditional pubs and more modern craft beer places.

Just a shame that the nearest pub to home is a spoons.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Once a year at most for me...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

Being a continental lifter, I always go to the pub whenever I'm in England, which is not often unfortunately. I love everything about them and it pains me that we don't really have an equivalent over here. We do get the occasional Paddy's/Murphy's/Whatever's Irish Pub, but they tend to be large, unfriendly drinking holes who serve shit beer and rough food and are mainly frequented by tourists

Of course, I find pubs in England vary wildly in quality and I much prefer the locally owned affairs. Proper beer and good honest food is what I like to spend my money on and whenever I happen upon such an establishment, it's a blissful experience for me. A shame they close so early.
Cunt.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 pm I still frequent a lot of pubs. Pubs are teh awesumz.
You do live in one of the best places for pubs in the country!

We tend to go to the pub once a week or so (but not the same one; the local is at least a half hour walk away); I usually go to a pub near work once a week too. When I lived in St Albans it may have been 5+ times a week 😄
Barry

Post by Barry »

Occasionally have a pint after work, very occasionally a Friday night with a mate. Had a pub meal last night with family (folks 50th wedding anniversary this weekend). Probably my second visit this year.

I think younger generation are having house parties and generally drinking less, if my colleagues are any indicator. Coffee shops are the new places to hang out.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

We go to the pub quite a lot, we do have some decent pubs and breweries around us though!
John

Post by John »

I used to go out with a group of friends a couple of times a week locally, now it’s once every couple of months at the most. Our village used to have ten(!) pubs but two have closed now. The ones left are much quieter with just a bit of a rush on Friday evenings.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

When I lived in Cambridge there was a tremendous pub quiz at the Empress every Tuesday run by an electrician and Ted Hughes’ nephew. Dreadful pub but a really smart and inventive quiz.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:35 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 pm I still frequent a lot of pubs. Pubs are teh awesumz.
You do live in one of the best places for pubs in the country!

We tend to go to the pub once a week or so (but not the same one; the local is at least a half hour walk away); I usually go to a pub near work once a week too. When I lived in St Albans it may have been 5+ times a week 😄
Sadly not in St Albans anymore, which is indeed great for pubs. Working in the city at the moment though, so a wealth of choice, or might head out to a village pub at the weekend.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Now that I live in London I go to pubs maybe twice a month with work colleagues / friends / dates. At home my colleagues didn't sociaise after work and me and my friends all owned houses which we could easily drive to - in London meeting somewhere central is better because we're all using public transport. I'd never go to the local pubs because I don't have friends in this area, but there's a couple that look nice.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I don't go as much as I'd like. By the time I'm back from work and done family stuff I really can't be arsed. It's a shame really as I have a decent little pub in the village and I should support it more. We go occasionally if the MiL can do some child minding. Village brewery usually has a couple of open days each year for local families which is great as it's £2.50 a pint with BBQ, band and stuff for the kids.

I tend to drop in there and buy beer more than I go to the pub TBH.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:18 pm
duncs500 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:12 pm I remember when Rich was cool.
😂 I’ll be totally fucked by lunchtime tomorrow if it helps - Eng v Ire at Twickenham with someone else picking up the bill!
Good man. 28\1 for a draw.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

McSwede wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am I don't go as much as I'd like. By the time I'm back from work and done family stuff I really can't be arsed. It's a shame really as I have a decent little pub in the village and I should support it more. We go occasionally if the MiL can do some child minding. Village brewery usually has a couple of open days each year for local families which is great as it's £2.50 a pint with BBQ, band and stuff for the kids.

I tend to drop in there and buy beer more than I go to the pub TBH.
One of our local breweries do the same, hog roast on a friday night, band on, marquees up, 2 quid a pint.

Can't go wrong!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I tend to have a night out about once a week, and will probably take in a couple or three of my favourite half a dozen pubs. There are a couple that let you order a take- away and eat it in there, which is a good option if I don't fancy a burger. I don't go places that don't serve good beer.
Literally 2 minutes from my front door they've just set up a pop-up thing on a Saturday/Sunday in a warehouse/yard. Couple of bars (each with a couple of interesting things on tap), usually some live music, and half a dozen or so street-food stalls/vans. The crowd is a bit hipster, but it makes for a pretty good summer Sunday afternoon (although a pretty messy Sunday evening 😉)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Once/twice a year.......maybe

Rather go to a bunshop
Richard

Post by Richard »

We go at least weekly, with my brother. I live in a smallish town but there’s at least 10 pubs in town, more outside of town. We’re not short on choice.

Used to have a pint or two after work 3-4 nights a week. The pub changed hands from an independent to Shepherd and Neame and it’s been shit ever since. I’m saving £100-£200 a month, maybe more, not going.

Seems like a good saving. I do miss the social aspect a bit, but it’s just there to be had anymore.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Visit the office local most Friday lunchtimes for, er, lunch. £8.50 for sausage, egg n chips and a good laugh. That particular pub (in Woodstock) has actually gotten busier in recent years, which is good to see. Lovely place too and the staff never seem to leave.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I'm at The 5 Lamps - our 'local'in Derby 5 times a week early evening for two or three pints. Coffee shops are a daily habit though...
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Pubs?

They're the places with people in, right?

No thanks....

#introvert