FAO Legal Eagles (and/or Beagles)

NotoriousREV

FAO Legal Eagles (and/or Beagles)

Post by NotoriousREV »

So I contacted the sellers of my Porker to explain the situation and asked them what the options were. They haven’t replied, but have attempted to cancel the eBay transaction, which I’m assuming is their attempt to offer a refund.

Given that I don’t want a refund, I want the car repaired, and I’m outside the 30 days, can I legitimately reject their offer of a refund at this stage? With the time, effort and money I’ve put into the car since buying it, I don’t really want to just hand it back.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Re: FAO Legal Eagles (and/or Beagles)

Post by Mito Man »

I’d be biting their hands off at a refund!
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

They have an obligation to resolve the situation because you’re within the 3 month (or whatever it is) offer of a limited warranty. Time to go and read the paperwork you signed to see exactly what they cover. However I don’t believe you as the customer can pick and choose the resolution without the retailers agreement, in this example if they offer a buy back you can’t force them to fix it. Likewise if they offered to fix it you have to give them a reasonable attempt at fixing it and you can’t force them to buy it back straight off the bat.

If they don’t budge on offering to contribute toward the repair and they will only offer a buy back then you have either accept the buy back or accept you’re going to keep the car without contribution and move on.

Based in previous experiences with this situation I’m guessing they are going down the buy back route given how cheaply you bought the car, they probably think they could repair it themselves and put it back up for sale at a higher price and actually make some money out of it second time round.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Eh, I have I missed something here?
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pmI’m guessing they are going down the buy back route given how cheaply you bought the car, they probably think they could repair it themselves and put it back up for sale at a higher price and actually make some money out of it second time round.
I doubt that - more likely it’s just expediency. Buy it back, sell as non-runner, swallow the cost, case closed, move on.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Otherwise, I agree with Cola I’m afraid. The ball is initially in their court to resolve as they see fit. A full refund (if that’s what’s actually on the table?) is a pretty fair offer and I don’t think you can force them to do otherwise.

I’d assume they know their sh1t on this front given the number of cars they turn over.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The damage from the transporter may muddy this up too.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pmI’m guessing they are going down the buy back route given how cheaply you bought the car, they probably think they could repair it themselves and put it back up for sale at a higher price and actually make some money out of it second time round.
I doubt that - more likely it’s just expediency. Buy it back, sell as non-runner, swallow the cost, case closed, move on.
Yep, I expect they'll want it back and figure their losses by selling it as a non-runner are less than they'd be expected to offer as a contribution to repair. Very much doubt they'd bother getting it fixed themselves.
Cheers, Harry
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’m only proposing that as a possible option because I’ve previously bought a car from a trader at the lower end of the market value with a faulty engine, that was bought back, it turned up a few months later fixed and for sale at a higher price. That was a 4x4, not a 911 though.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Honestly, that sounds like a good result. Get your money back and then buy that 3200GT!
Cheers,

Ian
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

For clarity, I will NOT be buying a 3200GT.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

If they cancel the transaction and you get refunded you'll still have the car!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I have a car dealer as a good mate and if it's cheaper to refund the customer and auction/trade it off as broke he will insist on that route but be nice about it, offer to source an alternative if possible etc..

He won't cash settle the difference due to the risk of some cunt coming back again 2 weeks down the line for more which I get.

It's worth having a conversation with them.

ETA- it's long established (30+yr) business so I'm sure they have been meeting their obligations.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 pm For clarity, I will NOT be buying a 3200GT.
Go listen to it, and then make your decision! 😈
Cheers,

Ian
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'd take a refund 😁
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jezh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:49 pm Eh, I have I missed something here?
Yes. Read Rev's other thread.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

I think you are too far down the road for a refund given the engine is already out and some useless twat dropped it off the transporter.

Id call them and try speak to someone. Explain the situation and see whats on offer. If they offer a refund then i think thats them fulfilling their responsibilities so thats all you may get. its then your choice to accept or decline that offer. They may offer some goodwill against the repair but i think thats up to them.

When i bought the Lotus it had warped discs. The seller footed a bill to have them replaced after a quick chat on the phone. YMMV.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Take it, you're in no position to call on retail rights
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Worth a try for some money off, more profit in it for them than to take it back and shift it on knackered.

I don't know where you stand legally, but if you like the car, hopefully you'll keep it either way. You got it dirt cheap, yes you've had to spend a bit, but you now know it has a pucker head... something you wouldn't know if you went out and bought one for £10k. WTF do I know, but I'd keep it, it could still be a good buy IMO.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I asked and got a contribution towards the repair on the Saab that had a faulty vacuum switch for the brake booster (in the v6 Aero, he covered the part cost) bought the new part and fitted it myself though and was no way in the order of magnitude of this. The ‘private trader’ was quite keen to keep his positive feedback record so was a good bargaining tool considering he’d already requested a positive review.