Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

McSwede

Re: Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:47 am Not Taycan related, but I suppose this could just be the general 'relaxed electric car thread', seeing as FC is a pretty laid back show.

So, MG ZS electric?

Cheap, decent range, available, perfectly reasonable build quality, 90s warm hatch performance - sounds like a perfectly valid piece of white goods.

Thoughts?
I'd be inclined to agree with you there. It's the kind of thing that'd be perfect for my missus.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

We will probably get an ID Buzz for 'er indoors. Would be great for days out with the family

Join us, join the Teslarati!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:31 am
Beany wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:47 am Not Taycan related, but I suppose this could just be the general 'relaxed electric car thread', seeing as FC is a pretty laid back show.

So, MG ZS electric?

Cheap, decent range, available, perfectly reasonable build quality, 90s warm hatch performance - sounds like a perfectly valid piece of white goods.

Thoughts?
I'd be inclined to agree with you there. It's the kind of thing that'd be perfect for my missus.
I don't see much traction on the various motoring fora for the Honda E. Surely a far nicer proposition for many that will want to retain an ICE car for the time being, and which you'd therefore imagine would tend to have a larger ICE and a smaller EV?

If I didn't still have a wishlist to get through of certain ICE configurations, I'd be all over the Honda.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

McSwede wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:31 am

So, MG ZS electric?

Thoughts?
A sensibly priced 'normal' car which happens to be electric is exactly what's needed if it's ever to become properly mainstream.

I did think the leaf might have taken that market now it doesn't look so spazzy, unfortunately it's not far off £40k for a decent spec version!
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I spec'd one of these up yesterday. Three seats like a F1 :lol: , but I object to paying an extra 20% to charge at 22kW (vs 3.2)!

https://www.uniti.earth/uk/uniti-one/
Cheers,

Ian
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:22 pm
A sensibly priced 'normal' car which happens to be electric is exactly what's needed if it's ever to become properly mainstream.

I did think the leaf might have taken that market now it doesn't look so spazzy, unfortunately it's not far off £40k for a decent spec version!
because of Nissan's financial situation the leaf has had very little development over its approx 10 years, next to nothing compared to the Zoe which has been developed extensively in that time

the leaf still does not have any heat management on the batteries which is the biggest factor in reducing its life

I thought the current car was a new model and had not realised they had stuck a new front and back on the original leaf
Join us, join the Teslarati!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:47 am So, MG ZS electric?

Thoughts?
I had a (refundable) deposit on one, because thanks to Tesla that seems to be what you have to do these days.

It is indeed cheap with decent range and performance, quality fine, very decent spec, roomy practical family car. Not without some "quirks" though - that charging port, no climate control and no preheating, no % battery display just the guess-o-meter, not supplying a type 2 cable, lots of exclusions to that 7 year warranty, and a pretty sparse dealer network - I'd have quite a trek from SE London to a dealer.

I got my deposit back because VW dropped the price of the eGolf and I arranged another cheap lease for when the GTE goes back in January. To be honest I'd rather have yet another Golf instead of a very bland small SUV. If that hadn't come along though the MG would have been perfectly good as a practical family runabout. A couple of mates are still intent on ordering them though and I think it'll work fine for them.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Watched that review the other day. 'white goods' sums it up but could be perfect for pottering around the place. New Zoe looks equally capable.

The problem with the idea of getting an EV I have at the moment is that apart from the stupid cheap Hyundai Ioniq deals the other week (£1000 + 17 * £90 inc VAT, which I should have gone for) compared to running our older cars we're doing too few miles to make them cost effective - where both my wife and I have the ideal use case for a small EV, me for tooling to the station and back for work, her for ferrying the kids about.

But we wouldn't want two small EVs as then, including the rally car of course, we'd need a 4th car for the family bus (*cough* SQ7 would be lovely, if I could get over the fear of the gearbox exploding). Or 5 if I get to keep the Megane or something similarly 'sporty'. Mrs Mad has decreed that I've hit max permitted cars in the household at 3.
Left over crest; tightens.