Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

integrale_evo

Re: Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm heading over soon to see if I can take the white Alfa mito owned by someone called ian but nicknamed Harry record 😎
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I've got a solid chance at the Blue e39 on 16s with integral child seats and 235,000 miles record.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Completely unverifiable "hand timed" 7:23...... If true that'll make the Porsche look extremely silly.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So what happened to Tesla not having any slots at the ring? A lot of BS in the car news reporting world it seems...
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm So what happened to Tesla not having any slots at the ring? A lot of BS in the car news reporting world it seems...
it sounds like they didn’t (and didn’t even know they needed one), but they managed to get a 30min slot.

As for hand timed times, presumably they know they aren’t allowed to do timed whole runs, so it’s probably made up of several parts - which combining into one long run is half the challenge for electric cars I thought.
Last edited by Rich B on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’d still take the Taycan over the Model S “S”.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 pm I’d still take the Taycan over the Model S “S”.
Once you've been spanked for performance though you're left with "feel" & "interaction" which Lotus have been attempting to turn into a business plan for some time now.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

RobYob wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:45 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 pm I’d still take the Taycan over the Model S “S”.
Once you've been spanked for performance though you're left with "feel" & "interaction" which Lotus have been attempting to turn into a business plan for some time now.
There’s a reason more people bought 911s than Dodge Vipers, though.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm
RobYob wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:45 pm
There’s a reason more people bought 911s than Dodge Vipers, though.
Without a doubt, but if Tesla can compete on performance and price and arguably "badge" then that stacks up well against Porsche for driveability and potentially quality.

Very very healthy competition though.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The biggest let down for Teslas is the interior quality. They don’t feel like a 6 figure car inside, whereas the Porsche will.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

A bit of competition is good for everyone, I expect even Porsche would acknowledge that Tesla helped open the door for cars like the Taycan.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 pm A bit of competition is good for everyone, I expect even Porsche would acknowledge that Tesla helped open the door for cars like the Taycan.
They have

""Anyone who's trying to go there to see how you're doing, we have great respect for. We love the competition. It's their business. We respect them. They've prepared many markets for electric cars."

linky

So with the "Plaid" powertrain at least a year away have Porsche got time for a quick Taycan Turbo S x50 pack :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 pm A bit of competition is good for everyone, I expect even Porsche would acknowledge that Tesla helped open the door for cars like the Taycan.
Not the first time I've read this, but I don't agree. I think performance electric cars would've happened anyway. All Tesla has done is grab some early share of the inevitable market.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ok.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

RobYob wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:30 pm Without a doubt, but if Tesla can compete on performance and price and arguably "badge" then that stacks up well against Porsche for driveability and potentially quality.
Really ???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm
RobYob wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:30 pm Without a doubt, but if Tesla can compete on performance and price and arguably "badge" then that stacks up well against Porsche for driveability and potentially quality.
Really ???
I remember seeing their quality scores a few years ago, a lot of owners still love them even though in terms of raw quality numbers they're not great, very similar to Porsche actually...

"Owner satisfaction" #1 and reliability 27th link
Last edited by RobYob on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

well then state "Quality" and not Badge

I think Tesla has some work to do before the Tesla "Badge" is on a par with Porsche. Winning Le Mans would be a good start for example
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

See my edit above, Tesla rank #1 in ownership surveys despite poor reliability. So however you describe it the owners love their vehicles is spite of problems.

I imagine there's a niche of customers that value the Tesla tech halo at least as much as Porsches heritage.

No one I know but I think they're out there.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:49 pm
Not the first time I've read this, but I don't agree. I think performance electric cars would've happened anyway. All Tesla has done is grab some early share of the inevitable market.
And arguably brought the tech and ideology on decades quicker than it might otherwise have. As well as having made EVs commercially attractive for the mass market rather than a few weirdos
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Tesla has forced the hands of the car makers by proving that the market and the technology were ready and waiting. They’ve very successfully kick started the mainstream EV market.
Middle-aged Dirtbag