Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Beany

Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Post by Beany »

Seems like not that long ago, Fully Charged was just a bit of fun electric motoring musing with Kryten and Jonny Smith helping out - very home made.

This morning? World Exclusive Porsche Taycan access, where Jonny Smith is the first person outside of Porsche (other than Mark Webber) to get behind the wheel. And do 30 hard launches up to 200km/h to prove the point that the Taycan isn't a 'one and done' car when it comes to dumping power into the motors, along with some educated guessing on price, range, possible specs, etc.

NotoriousREV

Re: Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Post by NotoriousREV »

I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with the headlights until he pointed it out :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Love that.

Clear strategy for Porsche in building a cooling system and EV setup that takes advantage of Tesla's "clever" (small & light) cooling solution for marketing. I may be wrong but I'd guess the Taycan won't have the luggage capacity of the P100D. But it's a billion percent more desirable as far as I'm concerned.
mik

Post by mik »

The Taycan?

If you're looking for a sale, I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you park one on my drive and post the keys through the letterbox now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you. :?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Very impressive 😎
mik

Post by mik »

I didn't have time to watch it all, but I very much liked Jonny's delivery in the bits I watched. 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t know, performance stats aren’t wowing me as I expected. The Model S and 3 will also do repeated launches to 6 just over 3 seconds till the battery dies. The S only needs the preconditioning to do 2.6 second launches which the Porsche can’t and it’s a generation newer and going to be the flagship car which should have the best stats. Imagine the real world range is worse too and it will cost a hefty amount.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

I reckon 0-60 in 3 secs for your family car is probably quick enough for most situations. I don’t think you’ll be cursing the lack of 2.6 sec capability very often.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:14 pm I don’t know, performance stats aren’t wowing me as I expected. The Model S and 3 will also do repeated launches to 6 just over 3 seconds till the battery dies.
They used to restrict performance after doing several launches but they got threatened with a lawsuit so now you have to accept this disclaimer if you use it too much:

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Show me one car where that isn’t the case though. They will all have accelerated wear and tear but other manufacturers just won’t state it.

Another thing is that if you want your battery to last a long time you shouldn’t frequently charge to more than 90% and let it discharge below 10%. The Tesla will warn you of this every time you go above or below those values but other brands won’t.

The most important factor though is that the warranty won’t be voided by using ludicrous mode or charging to 100% all the time. Remember back when using launch control more than a certain amount on a Porsche would void the warranty...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Has Mito become a Tesla Fanboy?
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nope all electric cars are meh but some are overpriced meh.
I expected the flagship Porsche to do 0-60 in a better time than over 3 seconds and not have a measly top speed of 155.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm Remember back when using launch control more than a certain amount on a Porsche would void the warranty...
No, because that was the Nissan GTR.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:23 pm Nope all electric cars are meh but some are overpriced meh.
I expected the flagship Porsche to do 0-60 in a better time than over 3 seconds and not have a measly top speed of 155.
It isn’t the flagship Porsche. HTH.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No, I may be getting mixed up Hurucan, there’s one brand which only lets you launch X amount of times or up to a certain mileage but I can’t remember where I read it.

I’m pretty sure it’s the electric flagship Porsche and they’re going to launch a bunch of cheaper models afterwards.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s the only electric Porsche. I suppose that makes it the flagship, but it also makes it the base model too.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:05 pm It’s the only electric Porsche. I suppose that makes it the flagship, but it also makes it the base model too.
Ok take the Lotus Vagina - is that also a base model as it’s the only electric Lotus? 🤦‍♂️
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm Show me one car where that isn’t the case though. They will all have accelerated wear and tear but other manufacturers just won’t state it.
Other manufacturers don't assume their clients are stupid enough to not know that doing hard launches won't cause wear and tear above the usual.
Another thing is that if you want your battery to last a long time you shouldn’t frequently charge to more than 90% and let it discharge below 10%. The Tesla will warn you of this every time you go above or below those values but other brands won’t.
I'd imagine they tune their battery management systems to simply not allow their cars to do this in the first place. My bloody e-cig does this, reporting 100% charged at 4.1v and fully empty at 3.6v - it prevents straining the cells too much.
The most important factor though is that the warranty won’t be voided by using ludicrous mode or charging to 100% all the time. Remember back when using launch control more than a certain amount on a Porsche would void the warranty...
Ludicrous mode is just setting the power delivery to a safe, slightly higher rate than the normal mode - it's not overrunning the inverters, batteries or motors. It's marketing.

And as has been mentioned by others, I can't recall anything other than the GTR having a 'hard launch warranty limit'. Correct me if I'm wrong, certainly.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sports car due to be launched in 1 year has better handling than 7 year old executive car shocker.