NotoriousREV

Re: Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Post by NotoriousREV »

I think we’ve definitely found Elon’s secret account :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nope. I’ll be honest the main thing I like about Tesla is the continuous software updates and over the air improvements. With the i3 BMW only supported it for 2 years. After that the iPhone app stopped working, the bugs were never ironed out of the operating system and they didn’t fix the odd traction control. Well they did fix it all but only on the new one rather than offering an update. It’s interesting to see how other brands proceed in this area.
How about not having a sig at all?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Stop saying nice things about Tesla, Mito, the old men don’t like it
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:26 pm Stop saying untrue things about Tesla, Mito, the adults don’t like it
EFA.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:12 pm Nope. I’ll be honest the main thing I like about Tesla is the continuous software updates and over the air improvements. With the i3 BMW only supported it for 2 years. After that the iPhone app stopped working, the bugs were never ironed out of the operating system and they didn’t fix the odd traction control. Well they did fix it all but only on the new one rather than offering an update. It’s interesting to see how other brands proceed in this area.
I'll grant you, that is a good thing and a definitely step up from most manufacturers.

Want updates on your regular car out of warranty? Yeah, fuck you, that'll be £100+ thanks.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No want updates on your 2 year old car? Buy a new one.
Also they won’t allow battery pack upgrades in the U.K. or North America, if you want a i3 with more range you have to buy a new one. Some markets in the EU can upgrade for €7000 which is a crap load cheaper than buying a new car which was something my dad was interested in as the car has every option including the range extender which is no longer sold in the U.K.
Frankly with an attitude like that I’m happy the Car manufacturing sector is going to shit.

When Apple support their products longer than a car manufacturer you know they’ve taken greed too far.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I sort of agree with Mito, the industry does need a shake up. Customer service is awful, customers just want something that’s easy to buy and should it go wrong a pleasant experience where the car is given back fixed, once. The whole sucking air through the teeth and giving it the TADTS attitude is just BS now.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
mik

Post by mik »

I’d agree with that - the entire customer-facing side of the car industry seems to feel that bullshitting/lying is acceptable, and we’ve all come to accept that we’ll be fed the bullshit and have to filter out what truths we can to allow us to go to battle over the untruths. Not many industries still like that now....
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks impressive enough, but doesn't really excite me. I would consider an electric car one day for day to day stuff once it was actually usable with the range etc. Just don't know if I could get excited about one as a fun car though.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve not watched this video yet, but I’m hoping for good things; I’m thinking the estate version could replace my X5.
Cheers,

Ian
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

mik wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:45 pm I’d agree with that - the entire customer-facing side of the car industry seems to feel that bullshitting/lying is acceptable, and we’ve all come to accept that we’ll be fed the bullshit and have to filter out what truths we can to allow us to go to battle over the untruths. Not many industries still like that now....
It’s tiring and people not into cars are fearful of being taken for a ride, ‘did I really get the best deal on that car or was I ripped off?’, ‘did I really need to pay for a new set of brakes, I don’t actually know how to tell for myself and was that a good price?’ Etc. Moving to cars which need less serviceable parts and getting rid of dealers and going down the Tesla route will go a long way to fixing all that, and that sounds brilliant to me, just a shame it’s a 10-15 year plan to get there.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The whole having to go on carwow then negotiate a price on a car is very backwards. Am I buying a car or a fake watch off some shitty illegal merchant because the buying experience is the same. In fact buying fake goods is easier as the cunt doesn’t keep having to walk off to chat to his manager... Why are some models so overpriced that you can instantly get £5-10k off? Have one cheaper price, for everyone, non negotiable. It’ll also stop the arse falling out of the used car market maybe. It’s a bit odd that you can drive a car 50 miles and have it lose 10% of its value.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm having a drive in one in September and if it's as fun as my colleague suggests I'll have one in the new year.

He ordered one on the spot straight after the test drive. He's coming from 4wd 435d GC which is comparable in terms of new price and practicality. Other than the build or perceived quality of the interior he loved it, he said my M2 would feel slow 😄

Lack of switchgear and little weight to any handles/doors etc is alien to anyone used to sitting in anything perceived as premium of the last few decades but I'm open minded.

As above his experience with the dealer has been first rate rather than the usual shafting at his local BMW dealer over the last decade 😂 After he ordered a Model 3 Performance and paid the deposit for 1st Sept delivery they phoned to confirm his car was on its way to the dealer to be prepared for the arranged collection date but they were about to announce a price reduction and spec change , a £3k performance pack would become standard and he could have Pearl White FOC. They gave him the option of switching to the new deal if he didn't mind waiting a few weeks to source another car.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

These will be $120K USD so presumably the same in £££s ?
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^ Plus 10% import duty ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:29 pm The whole having to go on carwow then negotiate a price on a car is very backwards. Am I buying a car or a fake watch off some shitty illegal merchant because the buying experience is the same. In fact buying fake goods is easier as the cunt doesn’t keep having to walk off to chat to his manager... Why are some models so overpriced that you can instantly get £5-10k off? Have one cheaper price, for everyone, non negotiable. It’ll also stop the arse falling out of the used car market maybe. It’s a bit odd that you can drive a car 50 miles and have it lose 10% of its value.
I have to agree to a point. When Ford brought the Mustang out over in the UK they didn’t discount an inch. The price was the price and you can go fuck yourself if you think you’re getting a discount attitude. The used car/finance side is a different story though, I bought mine after 12 months of looking, numerous test drives. I bought at 6 months old and at £13k below list price so ignoring that, the used car prices have held well. The facelift then came along with a much higher price than the original and Ford still refused to do discounts and the odd dealer has offered up to £1,300 off in stock cars so the pre-facelifts held their prices strongly.

It’s really fucking annoying because people like me who didn’t care about the price or depreciation, who just wanted one wanted them to plummet like a stone and be discounted all over the shop because really, who in this day wants a petrol 5.0l V8 that will do an advertised 24mpg and barely hold the shopping In the boot? Turns out enough people to make it the best selling sports Coupe for four years in a row :roll:

However I have bought mine, I knew new cars were a fixed price and as such my experience was “there’s the car, that’s the price, what do you say?” and although there was room for negotiation it was bugger all. The car hasn’t lost much, if anything, since buying it 18 months ago either because folk know where they stand with pricing and demand is still reasonable.

If all car purchasing was like that it would be much better. However walking into one dealer and getting one price, then going a few miles down the road to ‘the same company (Skoda, VW, Ford, BMW, Mercedes etc) in such a town’ and getting quoted something completely different is utter bollocks. If I go to Curry’s and get a price on a product I don’t expect the exact same product to be significantly cheaper a few mile away in another Curry’s. Same for the weekly shop with Tesco, Morrison, Sainsbury’s etc, they’re all charging the same.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Electric Porsche Taycan does 2,128 miles in 24 hours at the Nardo track

At the high-speed Nardo test track in Italy, Porsche ran the Taycan for a full 24 hours, stopping as needed to recharge, averaged speeds between 120mph and 134mph, endured track temperatures of up to 42C and managed to cover an impressive 2,128 miles in 24 hours – including recharging.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

simon_g wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am Electric Porsche Taycan does 2,128 miles in 24 hours at the Nardo track

At the high-speed Nardo test track in Italy, Porsche ran the Taycan for a full 24 hours, stopping as needed to recharge, averaged speeds between 120mph and 134mph, endured track temperatures of up to 42C and managed to cover an impressive 2,128 miles in 24 hours – including recharging.
Whilst that sounds impressive, it's only semi-useful information - there's no context as to how long it was stopped whilst charging, and what the nearest equivalent ICE car could achieve.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Following a quick google I found an article noting that a 928 GTS set a record of 3,953.9 miles in 1993.

No idea whether other production cars have beaten that at Nardo (or elsewhere) and its record was surpassed in 2002 by a VW concept car but just over half the distance of a 25 year old ICE car is probably enough info to make your point :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s an average speed of 89 mph over 24 hours. Nardo is just a big ring so you could probably drive a 520d at 95 mph then come in for diesel every 400 miles to beat it.

It is an interesting test, wonder what the optimum speed vs aero efficiency would be to get the most range. Anything hybrid and electric would be useless at it though