That time of year again - 12hr Race

drcarlos

That time of year again - 12hr Race

Post by drcarlos »

So I'm entered again this time it's a bit different. Instead of racing with Baz (we've raced every 12hr we've done together, he's declined this year due to work pressures) and another experienced racer on a Group 4. This time I'm doing it with my eldest Ryley and Baz's son Daniel who are both 17. They aren't total newcomers though having won the best newcomers at both 12hr and 6hr last year, but they still fall short in experience. So the plan is that we can't risk them on my mower (lighter, a bit more fragile, engine needs to be nursed a bit due to design) which is fast (qualified 3rd last year while holding back) but they don't have any idea of mechanical sympathy yet. They need to embrace the 'To finish first, first you have to finish mantra'.
This year we are back on our heavier purpose built endurance machine but with a key difference, Honda GX390 (thunderkart engine) power with an open exhaust. This puts us in a class called tourist, which was designed for racers in other clubs who want to enter but their machines don't comply to standard UK group 4 rules (they do have an HP limit of 16 on the base engine and they must have complied with all safety rules). In this class you can't take the overall distance win (although you can take the flag) but there are tourist trophies. We have 7 mowers to compete with, but my aim is to put this thing on P1 for the race start and give the main field something to think about. If we can do that we know we have the speed (mower is reliable and has finished the past few endurance race no problems) and we'll just take the race as it comes and see if we can do well.

About to start the load up now so nerves are kicking in a bit and there's much to remember.

Carl
mik

Re: That time of year again - 12hr Race

Post by mik »

Good luck!

It’s certainly the most “out there” regular motorsport update we get on here. 😎
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Well, what happened?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Qualified 22 which was OK, but not stellar. Even with the Honda engine which was very strong with a great top end (right up there with the best) the rest of the mower is still too heavy to compete right at the top (CofG too high and generally over built).

I started for the first time in about 10 years and did well, got away quickly and avoided all trouble, did the full hour and had come out a couple of positions up by the end of the stint.

My boy went out and was doing OK for the first 30 mins until the belt shredded across the other side of the track, we ran over and fortunately kept a spare on the machine and changed it quickly he then finished the stint and when he came in I discovered he had issue on a couple of the slower corners so to avoid stalling he was dipping the clutch which overheated the belt. At the end of the stint we had an issue with the cutout key. We borrowed another which had to be taped into place.

My mates boy went out and did an hour with only the cutout needing re-taping with more tape and we picked up a few places.

I went out and did my first night stint, another hour no machine problems and we picked up a few places, I started to get shin splints in one leg due to using my leg to hold myself in the seat. Took Solphadine max at the end of that stint.

My boy then went out again and after some coaching on the slower corners he did a fairly trouble tree stint

My mates boy was then out and we were in the dead of night, this stint proved problematic and he lost brakes halfway through, so while I sorted new fluid (discounted pads as they were new before the race) and my bleed kit he circulated slowly. He then came in and I changed brake fluid, but in the course of pumping the pedal I noticed that the pads were indeed metal to metal (wow, this must be the heaviest on brakes circuit ever)! These were promptly changed and put back with one retaining pin as one had gone AWOL and we had no spare. Brakes back and he went back out only to come in a few laps later with a drive that was slipping. Another belt gone (this is the first time we'd worn out a single one of these belts let alone 2 in a race), this time I saw the tension pulley was split so this was replaced. He finished the stint without further incident.

My turn again, again another trouble free stint and we were now 5th in class as the other team had pulled a lead and another much faster team (v-twin powered) who'd blown an engine early doors caught and passed us. Solphadine working well.

My boy then went out again and light was coming back unfortunately he had an off during the stint with a mate of mine and they both crashed. Both were unhurt both mowers ok save for a dented bonnet on ours, he didn't go back out after this and we changed drivers.

My mates boy went out again and did most of his stint (probably 40 mins) we'd lost so much ground by this time though we were out of class contention and back in the 20's, he came in a bit early as he said he couldn't carry on and I went out for the last hour.

I did another trouble free stint, pain was back in my shin with a vengence though and I was much slower trying to nurse myself around.

We finished not quite in the top half (just) 26 out of 50, were pushing for 3rd in class for a long while as we were consistent on pace but the brakes and belt issues along with the accident cost us the class 3rd (and a top 20 placing) but they both gained lots of experience.

Not sure if I'll compete again at the moment, at 45 next year I'm firmly in the vets age group and although much fitter I'm not sure I want to put myself through it again (it's not just the race but sole responsibility for all prep, team management, spares, pits wears you down). We'll see but I've said this before and you'll probably see another post like this next year as I already have an offer to race with my mechanic who raced and his mate (one MX/Enduro, one quad racer) who did their first race this year. They are both young and fearless and need an experienced racer to help them along, so maybe I can race with them and let them push hard and gain positions while I provide the experience and steady hand (I can hold in the top 5) with my machine it's possible to win, maybe. I sound like I've talked myself into it already now!

As for the boys they have a fast machine that just needs finishing for next year, they need a 3rd driver and some help maybe my mate can pit for them next year. We'll see.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sounds pretty brutal. Well done on getting through the race, certainly sounds like it tested the endurance and was a valuable experience for the younger racers. You're not doing that ice race again then any time soon? :)
Left over crest; tightens.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Great read 😎
mik

Post by mik »

Well at least nef’s Holiday now sounds more attractive ;)

Nice write up: 8-)