Clay pigeon shooting

Orange Cola

Clay pigeon shooting

Post by Orange Cola »

Does anyone on here do it as a hobby? Had my first go at it today and absolutely loved it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Richard

Re: Clay pigeon shooting

Post by Richard »

Been a couple of times and loved it too. Was thinking about taking it up as a hobby, but then didn’t. Think I might get bored of it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I did it earlier this year. I wasn't as shit as I thought I'd be. Not something I'd take up as a regular hobby, though.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've done the laser version, if that counts.

I had a mate who started doing it, spent loads on the gear then got bored shortly after and gave up. I've always wondered how you actually keep it fresh? Move on to actual pigeons?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was fucking rubbish at that type of shooting, not a bad shot at targets with a rifle but as soon as I'm trying to hit something moving I'm miles off.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Matty wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am I had a mate who started doing it, spent loads on the gear then got bored shortly after and gave up. I've always wondered how you actually keep it fresh? Move on to actual pigeons?
Organised pheasant shoots I'd say.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:10 am
Matty wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am I had a mate who started doing it, spent loads on the gear then got bored shortly after and gave up. I've always wondered how you actually keep it fresh? Move on to actual pigeons?
This. In my farm worker days, I used to work as a beater (fnar, etc). Being at the wrong end of shotguns toted by posh nobs wasn't all that fun.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Same, I used to do it when I was a kid. I got to drive the land owners argocat a few times.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Did it as a school sport for two years, which makes me sound like a right cunt. Didn’t like it enough to ever continue afterwards though.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:10 am
Yep. Clay season usually starts soon after pheasant season stops.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Done it as a family experience, and again as a team building exercise (that I organised).

Good fun, but not enough that I'd want to pursue it as a hobby.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Expensive and unless you have a local club doing some interesting shoots then gets dull.

Dave!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:32 pm Expensive and unless you have a local club doing some interesting shoots then gets dull.

Dave!
I didn’t think it sounded all that bad, what sort of costs have you got experience of?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pmGood fun, but not enough that I'd want to pursue it as a hobby.
This. And I have no desire to moving onto killing things.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 pm
mik wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pmGood fun, but not enough that I'd want to pursue it as a hobby.
I'm not sure - you can buy guns and keep them in the house as a constant deterrent to keep your Mrs in line. :lol:

Its good fun but again once you get a perfect score its then only going to get worse enjoyment wise.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 pm
I’ve been shooting for years and killing things isn’t my interest
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:32 pm Expensive and unless you have a local club doing some interesting shoots then gets dull.

Dave!
Ammunition, you would go through, it’s around £200 for 1000 cartridges plus about the same for clays. You would go through about 200 for a full mornings shoot imo. So about £80 a day, no idea what club membership or hire costs as I used to go with a friend. No-one still does it anymore.

You shoot a lot less with a group though.

Dave!
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Did it as a youngster along with other forms of shooting.
Did ABT, Skeet, DTL and Sporting disciplines and got reasonably good - enough to get some Eley badges and win a couple of cups.
Had a Winchester 101 Lightweight 12 gauge
Liked Sporting the best but most places put on a DTL when I used to do it as it’s cheapest to stage and needs less room
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Thanks, I’m going to take a look into it. 200 shots in one go sounds a lot though, I don’t think I’d get through that much.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Depends OC. My mate AJ held the Guinness Book of Records for most pigeons killed in a day (~8000). All shooting is done in Argentina as they are (or were) classed as a pest down there. This boy keeps upping the record these days, and I think he’s given up!

Cheers,

Ian