What's the oldest thing that you own?

Jimmy Choo

What's the oldest thing that you own?

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Following on from JL's comment about his boat, What's the oldest thing you own?

That I bought, it's my Epiphone accoustic guitar I bought in 1991. That I've inherited, it's a folding ruler that was my late grandfathers that I suspect is from the 1930s.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
JLv3.0

Re: What's the oldest thing that you own?

Post by JLv3.0 »

A pair of Nike trackies. I can tell you the exact day I bought them - 7th August 1995, as I'd just started my adult job on that day and needed a pair for a company cricket match that evening, which thankfully I didn't have to participate in because I'm shit.

(The boat was the oldest vehicle btw).
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Oldest thing or thing you've owned the longest? If it's the latter it's probably a Corgi Austin Mini Metro bought when they first came out.

Like this, except I painted a gold stripe down the side with enamel paints from an Airfix kit.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I still have a bear I've had since I was a little kid.

My car is from 1989 and I've got some old books I bought second hand but there's nothing apart from the bear that I've actually owned for more than a few years.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

I’ve got an original, printed in Japan, Sonic The Hedgehog poster from 1991.

That’s about it

I’m not one that holds onto old stuff, really
Last edited by Richard on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm not sure - have at the side of me 70 quids worth of Premium Bonds which were bought the day I was born. Won absolutely fuck all in 46 years.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Probably the big teddy bear that's currently in my lad's bedroom. Bought for me as a baby, so c41yrs old. Otherwise I've got a silly number of matchbox/corgi cars from the early to mid '80s, and a few cassette tapes as well.

That I inherited - I've got a bunch of hand tools inherited from my grandfather (he was a sheet metal worker) - no idea how old they would be but probably date from the 50s, 60s if not earlier. Best amongst them is an old American hand drill, can't remember the brand. Fantastically tactile and solid piece of kit. Oh and a '50s Phillips valve radio that was my grandmothers.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Oldest useful items would be a set of screwdrivers and another of sockets which say made in West Germany which my dad bought from there in the 80’s on a road trip and then gave them to me ages ago.

Oldest random crap thing would be a bit of meteorite. Have been given other stuff like fossils but they’re much younger obviously.

Edit - West Germany! Not East!
Last edited by Mito Man on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Actually my toolbox is pretty old, was my dad's but he left it at the house when he fucked off and I wasn't going to leave it to be repossessed.

Don't know how old it is but I got it around 2002 and he'd already had it for a few years.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have a toy koala which was bought for me by a friend of my grandmother's before I was born. Which makes it 46.

I have a slide rule which I think was my dad's (may not have been new when he got it), which must be 1950s or earlier.

Various pieces of antique furniture of indeterminate age, and a thatched cottage which is at least a couple of centuries old but exact date also unknown. The latter is probably the oldest I guess!

ETA: also have my stepfather's Seiko auto chronograph from 1968/69ish.
Last edited by Jobbo on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

That I was given, my GMT Master 2 which is now 9 years old. That I bought and can remember, probably my North Face backpack which must be over ten years old now and I still use occasionally.
Last edited by Alex_ on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M235i
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

1904 half sovereign.

Actually, thinking about it I have a penny from 1756.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Oh yeah, I was looking at some change I got in New York, there was a couple of old coins

And until April, those were still in circulation. I wonder how many hands they’ve passed through over the years, how much much their total worth has been (like how many times they’ve been spent)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That's a point. Got some coins that are 1800s IIRC.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've got a glass decanter from the 1870s. It's a nice thing, it sits around, don't think I've ever used it.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:48 pm I'm not sure - have at the side of me 70 quids worth of Premium Bonds which were bought the day I was born. Won absolutely fuck all in 46 years.
Me too. Mine bought at nearly the same time as yours have yielded SFA 😂

Other than that, the wife is probably the oldest thing I own 😂

ETA. I still have my Paddington Bear pillow case that I was bought as a christening present and used for donkeys years! Don't use it now sadly as it's a little thread bear and the wife wouldn't appreciate it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Probably my WM-AF58 Sony Walkman Sports which I bought in 1986 or 1987. It’s in a box of my stuff at my folks place...

Oldest overall, probably my watch from 1962
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Probably some of my old toys at my mums including my teddy I got for my 1st birthday.

Oldest posession probably a 1928 mills slot machine that was at my grandads which no one else wanted.

Oldest vehicle owned, 1968 fiat 850. Vehicle owned the longest, Rover metro GTi ( since 2001 )
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Some tools that I inherited when my dad passed; but my “real world” answer is My NAD 3240 PE amp.

Bought new in 1991. Still used almost daily. It’s hooked up to a digital source and feeds a more modern speaker + sub combo, but it still sounds great. No desire to replace it.

Foz

Post by Foz »

Do houses count?