Monkey’s Podcast

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Monkey’s Podcast

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am"The online Evo Forum at the point of takeover was consuming over half of the IT infrastructure costs, but not producing any revenue.
Then they were doing it wrong. Clearly.

And also, WTAF? How was that POS consuming any costs?
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am"The online Evo Forum at the point of takeover was consuming over half of the IT infrastructure costs, but not producing any revenue.
Then they were doing it wrong. Clearly.

And also, WTAF? How was that POS consuming any costs?
Reputational damage? :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:56 pm
The online Evo Forum at the point of takeover was consuming over half of the IT infrastructure costs
Mate, if that forum was eating half your costs, you need to sack off your IT team....

Now, the entire failed community section.....well at that point, you fire your marketing head.
I bet they were paying some obscene enterprise rate for that which got grouped under 'Forum'
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:29 am Episode 14 is up and is with Petrolted.
I'm trying to listen to it but my god, he's boring!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:48 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:29 am Episode 14 is up and is with Petrolted.
I'm trying to listen to it but my god, he's boring!
I quite enjoyed it, pity he didn't get more into TVR/P.Wheeler anecdotes for me.
mik

Post by mik »

I quite enjoyed it too, although yeah - he’s not the most engaging speaker. Had no idea he’d developed so much of the software.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Brundle one is excellent.
scotta

Post by scotta »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Brundle one is excellent.
Correct. Enjoyed that one.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yep, Brundle was brilliant
scotta

Post by scotta »

New one landed this morning wiTh Jethro Bovingdon. Did the first half this morning on the commute to the office very good so far.

Edit - finished on the way home. Thought that was excellent.

https://collectingcars.com/podcasts
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

scotta wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:11 pm New one landed this morning wiTh Jethro Bovingdon. Did the first half this morning on the commute to the office very good so far.

Edit - finished on the way home. Thought that was excellent.

https://collectingcars.com/podcasts
Yep, another very good one. Look forward to the DR story, sounds terrifying 😄
mik

Post by mik »

Have only made it to 40mins / comfort break, but that is superb 😎
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Really enjoyed the Harry M one but I agree I couldn’t square his history of the forum with my (admittedly 20 year old) recollection.

I too am unclear on Ed’s role.
mik

Post by mik »

Jethro is surprisingly frank about the pace of some of the driving “back in the day”. And yes - I believe that even many CGs would be surprised at how rapidly a sports/super/hyper car will cross open country roads if the driver has the appropriate forward visibility and is capable of approaching the limits of said vehicle. Someone else that I know (not me) who similarly enjoys their performance vehicle on some of the open, very lightly trafficked highland roads expressed to me once their shock at the speed differential compared to humdrum every day vehicle movement on the same stretches of tarmac.

It sounds like two blokes discussing something secret in the pub as opposed to a public podcast.

Jethro also very well echoes (with far greater insider knowledge) my feelings in terms of reviewer opinions I value.... he didn’t mention Clarkson, but I will use him as an example - I have never seen any skill in his driving, hence I hold no value in his (usually shock) opinions on performance cars.

As already stated - thoroughly entertaining 😎
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Yeah doesn't mince his words does he! Also can someone ask him on Twitter why he's called 'The Brown Smoke'? I assume it's related to Troy Queef 😄
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sounds like this one is worth a listen...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That was brilliant, love how it comes off as mates just swapping good stories over a beer.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Who is Paul Bailey really? Right at the start of the podcast Chris says something about Jethro looking like a fake name like Paul Bailey.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:59 am Jethro is surprisingly frank about the pace of some of the driving “back in the day”. And yes - I believe that even many CGs would be surprised at how rapidly a sports/super/hyper car will cross open country roads if the driver has the appropriate forward visibility and is capable of approaching the limits of said vehicle. Someone else that I know (not me) who similarly enjoys their performance vehicle on some of the open, very lightly trafficked highland roads expressed to me once their shock at the speed differential compared to humdrum every day vehicle movement on the same stretches of tarmac.
Back in the EVO day with my DC2, I gave Jethro a lift back to Pickering to collect the F40, not realising he would tear the arse off the thing the minute we hit the NSL sign. I was flat in FOURTH for most of the run back to the moors, just trying to keep him in sight. I didn't know the way back so I had to keep him in view :lol:

After the days events we took the "normal cars" back to the hotel, then all jumped in with the journos to get the expensive stuff to their overnight parking. Suffice to say, pace was giddy. I was in the F40 with Jethro. 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Barry wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:16 pm. Suffice to say, pace was giddky. I was in the F40 with Jethro. 8-)
8-)