ZedLeg

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by ZedLeg »

Right to buy is always a shite idea.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I dunno, so long as the mistakes of the last this this was tried are not repeated then why not ???

Like the local council has first refusal to buy back the property at an agreed rate for, say the first 10 or 15 years etc
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The only perceived benefit of right to buy is getting people on the home ownership treadmill, if the buy back isn't at whatever the future market value is you'd be as well to stay on a secured tenancy.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah I'm far from convinced it's ever a good idea. It just further fuels the runaway train that is the housing market.

I'd argue that stronger regulation of the rental market is far more important.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:20 pm I'd argue that stronger regulation of the rental market is far more important.
I wonder how many MPs are landlords.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The Right To Buy scheme got my parents completely away from any government handouts.

It also turned the enormous council area where I lived into a much nicer place.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Once again Dave! appears to live in a pocket universe where Thatcherism worked out for the country :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Can't see how anything Boris proposes is going to get through Parliament unless it is totally uncontroversial. So this is a dead duck already I expect.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:13 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:42 am But in the UK we are more concerned about Rayner flashing her minge.
Christ any more dead cats on the table and they'll have to start referring to the house of commons as a fucking pet semetary.
BorisPetSemetary-1.jpg
BorisPetSemetary-1.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

This will go nowhere and even if it did i suspect very few would benefit. The reason people rent is far more complex and that isn't going to change by allowing the working people who receive help with rental costs to retain some of that benefit if they were to buy.

And also renting is more than adequately regulated and those who follow the rules provide good quality housing. Enforcing the rules that exist is the issue not more regulation. Slumlords aren't going to shape up whatever the rules are unless someone enforces them ! :D
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 pm Once again Dave! appears to live in a pocket universe where Thatcherism worked out for the country :lol:
2 hard working but low paid parents, long time council tennant and managed to afford a house, considering around a quarter of the houses near me got sold I’d say it was good for many many people.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It was definitely good for the landlords who are now renting ex council houses to people waiting on the council lists.
An absolute unit
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Isn’t this about helping people on benefits to buy a house? If so I’d imagine a few people on low income jobs who can’t afford to get out of the rental cycle are going to be a bit miffed.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There's always going to be winners and losers in this sort of thing though. And those on the margins who will be better off poorer in order to qualify etc.

Maybe I'm looking at this too simplistically (and lets face it, that's a distinct possibility :lol: ) but at at it's most basic level, Billions of Pounds is spent every year on Private Rents and this will continue without end. If a portion of those people can buy their own homes, then eventually, the financial drain on the public sector will be reduced by the percentage of people who've bought their own homes etc.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The primary purpose of rtb is and has always been about pushing public assets into private ownership.

I'd much rather see the government put some proper investment into social housing development than this. A secured council tenancy is a much better option for long term living imo.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've never quite understood the British obsession with owning a home, except as a mitigation of a broken rental sector.

If you can afford to buy a home and use that to (hopefully) build equity, great, but there needs to be a secure, safe, functioning alternative. Forcing councils to sell their housing stock and then having to subsidize renting the same properties back seems short-sighted and wasteful.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am There's always going to be winners and losers in this sort of thing though. And those on the margins who will be better off poorer in order to qualify etc.

Maybe I'm looking at this too simplistically (and lets face it, that's a distinct possibility :lol: ) but at at it's most basic level, Billions of Pounds is spent every year on Private Rents and this will continue without end. If a portion of those people can buy their own homes, then eventually, the financial drain on the public sector will be reduced by the percentage of people who've bought their own homes etc.
You're making an assumption about who buys the property after the first sale. It would be interesting to see how the costs compare: council run/owned versus housing benefit on rentals run for profit. And that doesn't take into account the transfer of resources into private hands.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:02 am I've never quite understood the British obsession with owning a home, except as a mitigation of a broken rental sector.
To be able to retire without the outgoing of rent every month, for one.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:02 am I've never quite understood the British obsession with owning a home, except as a mitigation of a broken rental sector.
do you rent?