Bye Bye Boris!

Beany

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:31 pm And now it's revealed by Sassoli that he's meeting with the Speaker of the HoC to discuss how to prevent a No Deal. So much for impartiality.

Just another sign that this is going to get a lot, lot worse before the dust hopefully eventually settles.
Impartiality or not has nothing to do with it. No Deal is an objectively terrible decision for everyone involved and a deal of some variety is far preferable.
“The European Parliament would support a request from the UK government to extend the withdrawal period in order to have time for a general election or a referendum.” This was the message from European Parliament President David Sassoli during a meeting with Speaker of the UK House of Commons John Bercow in London. President Sassoli restated the position adopted by the European Parliament in September that an extension should be granted to allow time for either elections or a referendum.

“John Bercow and I fully agreed on the important role that our parliaments play in the Brexit process. There is also a common awareness that a disorderly exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union would be against the interests of British and European citizens.”
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/p ... ohn-bercow
Beany

Post by Beany »

This is probably related to the fact that no more meetings are scheduled on the negotiations before Oct 31st, which means (as I understand it) either extension for Election/Referendum, or the laughable disaster of No Deal - which the Benn Act effectively prohibits, but which it keeps getting reported in increasingly barmy manners that DomCum and co are trying to find a way to weasel out of.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -to-a-halt
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm This is probably related to the fact that no more meetings are scheduled on the negotiations before Oct 31st, which means (as I understand it) either extension for Election/Referendum, or the laughable disaster of No Deal - which the Benn Act effectively prohibits, but which it keeps getting reported in increasingly barmy manners that DomCum and co are trying to find a way to weasel out of.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -to-a-halt
The Benn Act doesn't effectively prohibit it though, it just makes it incumbent on BJ to do certain things. No deal is still the default unless those things happen AND EP agree an extension.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Fuck the s*n
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Looks like a deal? Bank shares seem to think so :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

All I'm seeing is that Tusk hasn't entirely ruled it out yet - they're just saying that the Irish PM has said they've made some progress on the Ireland issue after some more fat-chewing.
“I have received promising signals from the Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) that a deal is still possible. Technical talks are taking place in Brussels as we speak,” Tusk said in Nicosia.

“Of course, there is no guarantee of success and the time is practically up. But even the slightest chance must be used.”
Not ruling it out entirely as being impossible isn't the same as saying 'there's a deal'.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN1WQ123

Remember, the banks also thought sub prime mortgages were a good thing.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:47 am All I'm seeing is that Tusk hasn't entirely ruled it out yet - they're just saying that the Irish PM has said they've made some progress on the Ireland issue after some more fat-chewing.
“I have received promising signals from the Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) that a deal is still possible. Technical talks are taking place in Brussels as we speak,” Tusk said in Nicosia.

“Of course, there is no guarantee of success and the time is practically up. But even the slightest chance must be used.”
Not ruling it out entirely as being impossible isn't the same as saying 'there's a deal'.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN1WQ123

Remember, the banks also thought sub prime mortgages were a good thing.
And it’s not hit Parliament yet...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I wonder if they've been sounding the numbers out on the opposition benches for support, and whether they can do the NI over and leave them in the CU
Beany

Post by Beany »

Whatever it is, I'm sure a last minute bodge job is just what the country needs :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

If there's a deal on the backstop, when will the rest of May's withdrawal agreement be looked at in detail?
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Indys coverage is rather more pessimistic:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 51736.html
The UK's proposals for the Irish border are still neither "workable" nor "realistic", the EU has said, following hours of last-ditch talks in Brussels on Friday aimed at striking a deal.

Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay had hoped to break months of deadlock at a breakfast meeting with his counterpart Michel Barnier in the EU capital.

But talks broke up after two hours with little to show. European Council president Donald Tusk said there had been "promising signals" and that a deal was still possible, but that the UK needed to move further.

"Unfortunately, we are still in a situation in which the UK has not come forward with a workable, realistic proposal," Mr Tusk said.

"A week ago I told PM Johnson that if there was no such proposal by today, I would announce publicly that there are no more chances – because of objective reasons – for a deal during the incoming European Council.

"However, yesterday when the Irish Taoiseach and the UK Prime Minister met they both saw – for the first time – a pathway to a deal. I have received promising signals from the Taoiseach that a deal is still possible."
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm just looking at the sea of green telling me how it is :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:57 am The Indys coverage is rather more pessimistic:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 51736.html
The UK's proposals for the Irish border are still neither "workable" nor "realistic", the EU has said, following hours of last-ditch talks in Brussels on Friday aimed at striking a deal.

Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay had hoped to break months of deadlock at a breakfast meeting with his counterpart Michel Barnier in the EU capital.

But talks broke up after two hours with little to show. European Council president Donald Tusk said there had been "promising signals" and that a deal was still possible, but that the UK needed to move further.

"Unfortunately, we are still in a situation in which the UK has not come forward with a workable, realistic proposal," Mr Tusk said.

"A week ago I told PM Johnson that if there was no such proposal by today, I would announce publicly that there are no more chances – because of objective reasons – for a deal during the incoming European Council.

"However, yesterday when the Irish Taoiseach and the UK Prime Minister met they both saw – for the first time – a pathway to a deal. I have received promising signals from the Taoiseach that a deal is still possible."
what does “however” mean?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I dont think he wanted to address the last paragraph Rich as it doesnt suit Beanys agenda ;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am I'm just looking at the sea of green telling me how it is :lol:
Just imagine how much more green there’ll be when Art50 gets revoked ;) :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

I said they were more pessimistic - they actually included the stuff that was said before the however, whereas everyone else is just quoting the 'deal still possible'.

It's a better overall impression of Tusks position.

This really isn't difficult....
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:11 am
Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am I'm just looking at the sea of green telling me how it is :lol:
Just imagine how much more green there’ll be when Art50 gets revoked ;) :lol:
Keep dreaming :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Well that’s the same as solving any problem - From learning to tie your laces to splitting an atom.

Before you find any solution:
“Unfortunately, we are still in a situation in without a workable, realistic proposal,"

Then you make a breakthrough:
"We have received promising signals that a solution is still possible."
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:32 am Well that’s the same as solving any problem - From learning to tie your laces to splitting an atom.

Before you find any solution:
“Unfortunately, we are still in a situation in without a workable, realistic proposal,"

Then you make a breakthrough:
"We have received promising signals that a solution is still possible."
I'm sure they'll be able to throw an international trade treaty together in a fortnight now that just one part of the deal has promising signals about it.