Bye Bye Boris!

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Jobbo »

I see Iain Duncan-Smith is criticising the withdrawal agreement.

Although he did vote for it. Maybe reading it in advance would have been a good idea?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Don't be silly, why would he want to do that? Big words are confusing.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

To be clear, he voted against fuller scrutiny of the WA, then voted for the WA, and is now complaining that he doesn't like the WA.

:roll:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am To be clear, he voted against fuller scrutiny of the WA, then voted for the WA, and is now complaining that he doesn't like the WA.

:roll:
Is this a bit like all the MPs complaining that the MP questioned by the police for a violent rape hasn't been suspended/named - most of whom voted for the rule that allowed them to keep that sort of shit schtum in the first place?

The older I get, the more I think most politicians should be followed around by a member of the security services with a pistol, and when they come out with something truly fucking idiotic, just a bullet to the back of the head and shove them in an unmarked grave.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Anyone else watch once upon a time in Iraq?

I was obviously aware a while after the the conflict that there was alot of lies told by politicians, but the documentary puts it in really good context just how awful their lies were.

Can imagine there being a similar documentary in the future, on the current governments awful handling of this pandemic.
Oui, je suis un motard.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I wonder how much information a politician should be liable for.

So for example there are a few thousand armchair experts involved in Covid who can seemingly grab information and statistics at random and whatever decision is made can be argued it’s the wrong one.

Is it a case of too much information ?

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The problem is that there’s no such thing as agenda free information.

The government pay people to analyse the data so chances are they know what the correct answer is but they only use as much of the information as they need to get what they want. Even to the point of using information which isn’t the right answer for the majority but is for them.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm The problem is that there’s no such thing as agenda free information.

The government pay people to analyse the data so chances are they know what the correct answer is but they only use as much of the information as they need to get what they want. Even to the point of using information which isn’t the right answer for the majority but is for them.
There's plenty of heavily anti-government agenda biased information out there too of course. Your post for example in that it doesn't note that for balance. :lol:

I'll probably get lampooned on here for saying it, but I still believe that there are a great many MPs on both sides that genuinely try to get the best solution for their constituents. Every decision the government makes will have winners and losers (or even some that perceive themselves as losing even when they're winning...). All an MP can do is what they think is going to be best for the majority of the people they represent. Of course there is a self serving minority, but I do perhaps naively believe it is a minority.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:23 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm The problem is that there’s no such thing as agenda free information.

There's plenty of heavily anti-government agenda biased information out there too of course. Your post for example in that it doesn't note that for balance. :lol:

I'll probably get lampooned on here for saying it, but I still believe that there are a great many MPs on both sides that genuinely try to get the best solution for their constituents. Every decision the government makes will have winners and losers (or even some that perceive themselves as losing even when they're winning...). All an MP can do is what they think is going to be best for the majority of the people they represent. Of course there is a self serving minority, but I do perhaps naively believe it is a minority.
No MP should have less than 10 years work experience in a non governmental role.

We then give them a £1,000,000 bonus if they guarantee to do a 25 year term which is removed if they are a fuckwit.

This would invoke inventing a fuckwit meter but I’m sure the government have people who can make one.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:23 pm

I never said that the agenda was one sided. I also wasn’t particularly attacking this government. Look at how the Blair & Bush governments twisted information to invade Iraq.

I don’t think it is a minority tbh. I think most MPs see their job in government as a foot in the door to more lucrative corporate consultancy roles.

You know how to spot a politician who might actually want to serve the public as they’re the ones getting attacked by the press :lol:.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Well, I hope you're wrong. Sadly my MP seems like one of the ones who will look milk it, everything he says seems a bit try hard / fake.

In the current situation there isn't many downsides for the government to do the best they can to save lives and keep the economy afloat, but of course how that should be done and where the balance should lie invites differing views.

[mention]V8Granite[/mention] I couldn't agree more, I can't see how you can know much about the real world as a career politician. Although there are plenty that are not well regarded despite success outside politics, so who knows!?
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm
No MP should have less than 10 years work experience in a non governmental role.

We then give them a £1,000,000 bonus if they guarantee to do a 25 year term which is removed if they are a fuckwit.

This would invoke inventing a fuckwit meter but I’m sure the government have people who can make one.

Dave!
My idea is cheaper.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:17 pm
V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm

Dave!
My idea is cheaper.
Line them up against a wall and shoot them?

Edit: that was a guess, just seen your actual idea further up which wasn’t too dissimilar :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:47 pm Well, I hope you're wrong. Sadly my MP seems like one of the ones who will look milk it, everything he says seems a bit try hard / fake.
I thought our local MP was alright, until she tried to use scientists as scapegoats, for the mistakes the government has made during the pandemic and also made a very unsympathetic/badly judged tweet regarding children's school dinner vouchers!

I was hoping that the self serving politician's we're the minority too, but as time passes by, it becomes apparent that unfortunately doesn't appear to be the case :|
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not being funny, but there’s a long long way to go before it’s over and we can truly see the full picture of how everyone has done.

Plenty of time for it to go to shit elsewhere, or get worse here again.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53662230

:) Plenty of material for them to work with at the moment, so it better be good.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I've long given up believing that any Conservative announcement in the press is going to happen - they seem just to feed headlines to tame journalists as a public sounding board to see whether their more outlandish ideas are actually going to be popular or not.

Popularity with newspaper readers is not a great way to judge things though. The suggestion overnight that Boris will introduce legislation to override the Withdrawal Agreement is not something that can sensibly be analysed by your average Cotswold florist or Yorkshire printer, for instance. Deliberately breaching an international treaty while trying to negotiate a new one with the same people, is not muscle-flexing, it just shows we are not to be trusted to stick to whatever we agreed. So much for the previous oft-repeated mantra, 'enshrined in law'.

For Boris, this must be great fun, but there will come a point where the straw breaks the camel's back. I guess he has one ace left up his sleeve for then: he can sack Dom :lol:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

They don't appear to delivering on their promises. Standard polititcians though, if we get 50% we'll be lucky.

There will be more fuel to the migrant fire after the weekends incidents in Brum I guess too which will not do them any good either, but that is a different problem to fix.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Oh dear.

I know that's an hour or so old, but the proceedings have now been started. Not helpful to negotiations.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

More punishment and bullying :lol: