Bye Bye Boris!

dinny_g

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by dinny_g »

Very plausible and very concerning that Nef...

Do you think the end goal is role back in politics ?? Surely he can't get back in (assuming that's what he's trying to leverage) without the opposition and the media going "right, there must be some mahoooosive skeletons in various closets for him to be back at the table so let's push and push until we find them".

Is the opening salvo approach not shooting yourself in the foot ??

Or do you think he has some private goal - involvement in companies who need huge government contracts? :)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Lord Cummings, appointed by Gove, may be his aim.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:32 am Lord Cummings, appointed by Gove, may be his aim.
Dear heavens above that would be awful.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:32 am Lord Cummings, appointed by Gove, may be his aim.
That'll take some brazen neck on the part of the conservatives.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:37 am
That'll take some brazen neck on the part of the conservatives.
Well..... :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:

Ture - but isn't it tantamount to political suicide in this day and age. Institutional wrong-doing at an industrial scale which will ultimately become proven. It won't matter if Boris, Hancock, the whole current government was ousted first. It will take decades to come back from something like that to re-gain trust ?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

We will always have too few pieces of the puzzle to actually have an accurate picture of the true motivation.

My personal opinion is that Cummings isn't sufficiently motivated by pure financial reward for the end game to just be a massive cash payout. I'm sure he'd love to be a king-maker, so we might be building to some sort of coup attempt. I don't think he can realistically overcome the massive public dislike for him, and his testimony yesterday didn't appear to be trying to ingratiate himself, so I don't think a return to the front line of government is on the cards. I could however believe that he's arrogant enough to think he could be the architect of some sort of schism/reforming of the Tory party, painting himself into some sort of puppet-master role.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Now that makes a lot of sense Nef...

Saviour of the Conservative Party etc.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Baron Barnard?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:43 am
Baron Barnard?
:lol:

Think there is quite a bit of tin-foil hattery going on in this thread. I'm sure there's no great love for Cummings among people like Gove, even if they tried not to make enemies of him whilst he was close to Boris (who was his primary connection via vote leave remember). The likelihood of him (a) becoming PM (or leader of the opposition) and (b) then expending political capital on nominating someone like cummings for a peerage is somewhere between nothing and zero.

People like Gove are smarmy career politicians and Cummings is a liability and a loose cannon. If he's now on the outside, they'll have no interest in bringing him back in - particularly now he has shown he'll beat even Gove himself if the double crossing stakes if upset.

ETA: Previously unknown to me info... Cummings apparently worked for Gove for 7 years as a SpAd so Gove may actually have known him for longer than Boris. I don't think that alters my view of how likely Gove would be to bring him back into the fold following yesterday, however, even in the hypothetical world where either that didn't have negative consequences for his own position and/or he was top dog and could do that without retribution from Boris.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Saw this on the BBC feed earlier, made me chuckle: Conservative MP William Wragg uses his question to suggest many former critics of Dominic Cummings have switched to support him now that he is criticising Boris Johnson.

He says many people have had a "strange epiphany" from considering Cummings as someone whose words and deeds could not be trusted, into a "prophet who fresh from the wilderness brings with him supposed truths written on tablets of stone".
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They're all cunts, Dom included. Most of what he said just confirmed stuff that had been rumoured for months. It might not all be so believable if they didn't keep showing themselves to be completely incompetent at their jobs.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think Spitting Image got him to a tee and he was a very dangerous man to let go.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he had pics of Boris in a dress and full access to everyone’s email accounts.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

He was still dumb enough to get caught driving to Barnard castle with his wife for her birthday, then use the bizarre excuse that he was checking his eyesight. He's not a genius with all the answers. He's a weasel. Good at twisting what's been said.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:15 pm He was still dumb enough to get caught driving to Barnard castle with his wife for her birthday, then use the bizarre excuse that he was checking his eyesight. He's not a genius with all the answers. He's a weasel. Good at twisting what's been said.
And one which then realised that receiving death threats would have been a better excuse but pretended he didn't thank to raise it until yesterday :roll:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

GG. wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:17 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:15 pm He was still dumb enough to get caught driving to Barnard castle with his wife for her birthday, then use the bizarre excuse that he was checking his eyesight. He's not a genius with all the answers. He's a weasel. Good at twisting what's been said.
And one which then realised that receiving death threats would have been a better excuse but pretended he didn't thank to raise it until yesterday :roll:
Wonder who the threats were off because no one really knew who he was until he did that
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Killing two birds with one stone ??

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... udge-rules
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:37 pm
GG. wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:17 pm
Wonder who the threats were off because no one really knew who he was until he did that
I note he's failed to submit his evidence to the inquiry in time as well now...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Whats this bullshit - ok you can replace him now lads

G7 summit: 'We should build back in more feminine and gender neutral way', says Boris Johnson