Bye Bye Boris!

evostick

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by evostick »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 am

Yeah, I just did some maths for 1970 and last year, I figured the first wave of baby boomers were probably mostly working and living on their own by around then? This was all based on figures from government sources.

Inflation adjusted the average salary was around £25k and the average house price was around £59k.

Last year average salary was £29k and house price was £240k.

So salaries have barely moved but costs have gone way up.

We can all just say stuff to confirm our own biases though.
You certainly can :lol:

What about the relative cost to borrow money?

What about the fact that houses are more often bought by two earners now instead of one?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:21 am It be easy to dismiss that statement as utterly counter to reality. However as it may only be counter to my reality I'll ask for some data to correlate it back to general reality.
Off the top of my head, most of the people I know have two earners in the household. I'm sure there's some data out there for regional differences.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

But if the average cost of a house has gone up four fold and income only doubled (assuming two earners on average income) it is still a significant increase.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:11 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 am If we’re generalising, twenty somethings want to buy their own houses (in the best areas), but they also want brand new German cars, annual holidays to the Far East/America/Australia, £20k weddings, £1k phones, expensive watches and clothes, new everything, etc....

If they did without all those they could probably buy a house (in a less desirable area).
This blithely ignores the fact that, adjusted for inflation (and therefore in today’s prices) the average house 20 years ago was the equivalent of £120k vs £220k now. When I was born, the average house was the equivalent of £90k, so the big increase in the average cost of houses has been in the last 10 years or so.

Yeah, I just did some maths for 1970 and last year, I figured the first wave of baby boomers were probably mostly working and living on their own by around then? This was all based on figures from government sources.

Inflation adjusted the average salary was around £25k and the average house price was around £59k.

Last year average salary was £29k and house price was £240k.

So salaries have barely moved but costs have gone way up.

We can all just say stuff to confirm our own biases though.
Hang on, can someone remind me what the interest rates were on mortgages again and how much more strict the lending criteria were?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 am I think this is a disconnect a lot of people have. When people talk about the gammons it’s not just Tommy Robinson loving rednecks. It’s Daily Mail reading NIMBYs, the “self made” wealthy and the more traditional upper class who don’t want to share. All of whom are exactly who voted for Boris.

It’s why I try not to use the term if I’m trying to make a serious point, it’s easy for people arguing against it to dismiss it.
The term "gammons" is a load of wank tbh. The only people I know that get red faced and shouty about Brexit are Remainers.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That is absolute bollocks. You can't possibly believe that!!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:21 am It be easy to dismiss that statement as utterly counter to reality. However as it may only be counter to my reality I'll ask for some data to correlate it back to general reality.
Off the top of my head, most of the people I know have two earners in the household. I'm sure there's some data out there for regional differences.
View 1: affordability remains the same because most houses are bought by 2 earners

View 2: it takes 2 wages to be able to afford a house
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 am That is absolute bollocks. You can't possibly believe that!!
Pure denial.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 am I think this is a disconnect a lot of people have. When people talk about the gammons it’s not just Tommy Robinson loving rednecks. It’s Daily Mail reading NIMBYs, the “self made” wealthy and the more traditional upper class who don’t want to share. All of whom are exactly who voted for Boris.

It’s why I try not to use the term if I’m trying to make a serious point, it’s easy for people arguing against it to dismiss it.
The term "gammons" is a load of wank tbh. The only people I know that get red faced and shouty about Brexit are Remainers.

:lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am
View 1: affordability remains the same because most houses are bought by 2 earners

They're effectively the same view. Any couple buying a house have to make an offer based on their combined earnings, because if they don't they will be outbid by someone who will. Prices are driven more by what banks are willing to lend than anything else.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 am That is absolute bollocks. You can't possibly believe that!!
Pure denial.
No, he's right, thinking about it. Those who support Brexit are the very epitome of calm, intelligence and considered opinion.

Is it April 1st or something?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 am View 1: affordability remains the same because most houses are bought by 2 earners

It's a chicken/egg thing, so both are true, and once you also chuck in the fact we don't have 10%+ mortgage interest rates any more I think that mostly covers it.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 am Prices are driven more by what banks are willing to lend than anything else.
That. Lending deregulation drove the first boom and it's been up & down ever since.

I just realised - people are bashing the baby boomers here for having access to cheap houses in the sixties/seventies, in another 20-30 years will we be bashing those who bought during the low prices of the late nineties and claiming everything was better then ?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s also supply and demand, we live on an island with an ever growing population - there’s thankfully no world wars to conscript millions to their deaths or any great plague, so it’s only going one way.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I'm hoping Boris will roll out a plan to start sterilising poor people. That will help with the population problem.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Good cabinet choices I think. Might actually get something moving whatever that may end up being.

Suns out, so is the positive vibe dudes :lol: :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

What can't I believe? That the only people I know that get gammony about Brexit are Remainers?

I literally do not personally know anyone that voted Brexit that gets that way, only Remainers.

Public figures, yes I clearly do, as Dave has posted (I'll exclude Boris as who knows what he really believes in). But then there's plenty on both sides that get gammony - pretty much as I imagine reflected in society generally. Hence it's a bollocks term.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ok you meant the people you know personally - I had construed it as people you were aware of. Understood. They're probably just red-faced and frustrated around Brexit supporters, as I would be 😂
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Anyone ready to put forward the case for the tangible benefits of Brexit yet? I’ll wait. :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

They're aren't any. The end.