Swervin_Mervin

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

And Balls
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 am
Ascender wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:03 am I watched bits of this week's platform for "daft racists", aka Question Time and was interested to see how Michael Portillo articulated his points and also batted away some of the other panelists whenever they tried to interrupt his flow or counter with pointless soundbites. I genuinely can't remember anything about his short political career or his views, but was more than slightly impressed by how confident he spoke and came across in comparison to pretty much every other British politician I've had the misfortune to see in the last countless number of years.
Portillo losing his seat in '97 was the making of him. He went from arrogant, smarmy politician to reasoned, confident and articulate presenter over the space of a few years. One of the best panelists you could have on QT or any other political show IMO.
I think he recently said he was too young in hindsight and would have been a better politician later in life.
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:14 am That seems to happen with a lot of politicians. Ed Milliband seems like a completely different person now.
But can he eat a bacon sandwich? ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Which all makes me wonder if the Tories have tried to persuade him to give politics another go and whether or not he'd be interested.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... l-bullying

Smacks of Boo hoo I am not getting my own way like I am used to.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... l-bullying

I can’t see how you interpret his statement that way. He accuses Patel of briefing about him and not talking to him.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Broccers wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... l-bullying

I can’t see how you interpret his statement that way. He accuses Patel of briefing about him and not talking to him.
Interpretation of the whole situation.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:28 pm

So the usual Broccers unexplained opinion then.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:48 pm
Broccers wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:28 pm
So the usual Broccers unexplained opinion then.
C’mon Jobbo, you know as well as anyone that every single opinion that Broccers has ever had has come from what he “reckons” and nowt else.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Why didn't he just take his payoff and go away? Because he's a self important wanker that's why. Never had a proper job in his life either.

This is quite a good read if you don't understand my viewpoint

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2020/02/in- ... iti-patel/
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

When the Home Office’s top civil servant threatens to sue, I’d bet at least a quid he’s taken a few notes to support his case.

You get that there’s a war going on between Dominic Cummings and the civil service, right? This is his attempt to blow it wide open.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I see people who have previously been able to thwart the government being swept aside yes. ✔️
Beany

Post by Beany »

Broccers wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:02 pm I see people who have previously been able to thwart the government being swept aside yes. ✔️
*makes angry fascism noises*
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

But at least we’re away from the undemocratic EU and their unelected bureaucrats, right?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Priti reminds me of someone I worked with a long time ago, he was very good at his job but rubbed people up the wrong way. His opening introduction was....

Right, I’m here because the person before me couldn’t do his job right, now I’m not here to be your mate and every site needs a horrible cunt, well that’s me but if you do your job as asked we will all get along fine.

I liked him :lol:

I imagine Priti essentially said the same but with more elequonce.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

That's great Dave!

I worked for the civil service at head office by the way. They ran Jobclubs etc in the 90s. On a Friday afternoon a filing cabinet got opened and everyone got some booze out. These were high Grade employees upto grade 7. Clueless about real life.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Broccers wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 am That's great Dave!

I worked for the civil service at head office by the way. They ran Jobclubs etc in the 90s. On a Friday afternoon a filing cabinet got opened and everyone got some booze out. These were high Grade employees upto grade 7. Clueless about real life.
How do you define "real life"? Your example seems to be a very good example of real life in that at the end of the week colleagues unwind and have a drink together.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 am

How do you define "real life"? Your example seems to be a very good example of real life in that at the end of the week colleagues unwind and have a drink together.
At 1pm to 5pm in work time in the office? Nope.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Broccers wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 am

At 1pm to 5pm in work time in the office? Nope.
So adding context helps, doesn't it? Still doesn't help with defining your term though.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

And what's your highly valued option 😂