Bye Bye Boris!

DeskJockey

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by DeskJockey »

Court has unanimously decided that they can rule on the matter.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Prorogation was illegal.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Hahahahaahahahahahahaahhahaha.

It’s not going well, Boris :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Certainly makes his position tenuous. Next conversation with the Queen will be difficult.
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Boris has failed at every single thing he's tried so far. This was the biggie though; to have the court rule that he misled the Queen and acted unlawfully in purporting to prorogue, I cannot see how he has any authority to remain PM.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Already had some fuckstick in the office say "Ooh, I thought it was a political decision, not a judicial one"

BITCH THAT'S WHAT THEY WERE RULING ON YOU DOZY COCKSTICK.

That the court ruled unanimously, on all parts, against Johnson is pretty staggering. Surely he has to step down?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Surely a Prime Minister having been found to have lied to the monarch must resign?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We can but hope. And he can't be replaced by another Tory numpty. GE after they've revoked A50, acknowledging defeat.
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:56 am We can but hope. And he can't be replaced by another Tory numpty. GE after they've revoked A50, acknowledging defeat.
Quite frankly, I can't see them revoking A50 - they will hold off doing that as long as they can, kicking and screaming all the way.
GG.

Post by GG. »

The interesting point is now whether parliament will be called back from recess. That, I think, is unlikely as they would be recalling parliament in the middle of the Tory party conference which they can't realistically do. So if in effect they don't come back until after recess, they just regain their 5 days or however many it was. The court did note it would be customary to have 4-6 days of prorogation for a queen's speech so in theory he could lawfully re-prorogue for 5 days at the end of recess and they'd be back exactly where they started.

Oh and its a point arguably of semantics but the court ruled it unlawful and of no effect, not 'illegal'. Customarily 'illegal' is something that is proscribed by law, whereas unlawful essentially means not supported by a rule of law, though there is no negative consequence of doing so other than the decision or action can be set aside (as it was in this case). It doesn't make Boris a 'criminal' (which I'm sure people will start howling sooner rather than later) - though of course it is certainly not a good look to be taking decisions that get quashed as unlawful!
Last edited by GG. on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I know. But I can still hope!
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo, would you care to comment...

Lawyeroff!!! :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Lady Hale was unequivocal on the difference between recess and prorogation. Why are you blithely ignoring that fact, GG? Is it because it doesn’t suit your agenda?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What does everyone actually want to happen next? Obviously revoke A50, but what for the government?

JC Labour?
Conservative with another leader?
Lib Dem’s?
GG.

Post by GG. »

@Rev - I think you're getting confused. I'm not challenging what she said (indeed I predicted it). I'm noting you end up in the same place if he re-prorogues, i.e. no bills will have been saved and no parliamentary sitting re-gained.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

There is no difference between 'unlawful' and 'illegal' either - the two are synonymous.

The fact that Boris misled the Queen is not an offence which is set out in statute, but it's a very obvious breach of duty and is manifestly misfeasance in public office, which is a specific criminal offence.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:02 am What does everyone actually want to happen next? Obviously revoke A50, but what for the government?

JC Labour?
Lib Dem’s?
I think there are two outcomes possible, assuming Boris does step down:
- General election. Ridiculously risky for every party.
- A Government of National Unity. Clearly the Tories can elect a new leader but without a majority he or she will not automatically become PM. Someone with cross-party support would be the solution but who?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:02 am What does everyone actually want to happen next? Obviously revoke A50, but what for the government?

JC Labour?
Lib Dem’s?
I think there are two outcomes possible, assuming Boris does step down:
- General election. Ridiculously risky for every party.
- A Government of National Unity. Clearly the Tories can elect a new leader but without a majority he or she will not automatically become PM. Someone with cross-party support would be the solution but who?
yes, but it asking what YOU want to happen. Everyone seems very happy with Boris failing, so I presume everyone also has a solution in mind for what they want to happen instead.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The only way to move forward is a confirmatory referendum. Leave/Remain, and in the event of Leave, WA or No Deal.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:13 am The only way to move forward is a confirmatory referendum. Leave/Remain, and in the event of Leave, WA or No Deal.
unless they can get a leave deal before 31st Oct?