Bye Bye Boris!

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by PaulJ »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:03 am I think my dog senses a no deal brexit coming. The little shit is stockpiling and hiding his food in every nook and cranny the this past week which he never did before! :lol:
He sounds like another barking mad Brexiteer! :D
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:57 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 am
They brought it upon themselves in many cases though due to the unions (I openly hate unions in the uk, so I’m biased) but it doesn’t change their current situation.
It's infuriating to me that a lot of people complain about the treatment of working class people in this country then go on to say that they hate unions.

I'm not saying that the unions were innocent victims in their downfall, but the way they were smashed by the tories is at the root of most if not all the issues that the working class has had to deal with over the last 30 years.
A & P Tyne, unionised themselves out of a job. Even 10 years ago they were playing silly buggers for a vastly inflated wage.

Perkins, striking after someone caught stealing was fired. Developing an Us and Them situation by muck spreading for the job creating union folk.

It had its place and they took the piss, I lost count of the number of strikes I had to come home to as my Dad was one of the many bullied into not working.

A welder refusing to weld as the 2kg piece of plate he had to weld wasn’t being held by someone for him, wasting a 12 hour shift we were billed hundreds for. Multiply that a few thousand times and you can see why building went elsewhere.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Unionism is like communism. And most other isms actually. Good idea in principle. But then the human element messes it up for everybody.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm Unionism is like communism. And most other isms actually. Good idea in principle. But then the human element messes it up for everybody.
Can't really argue with that tbh.

Like I said I'm entirely aware that historically unions have been rife with corruption and in a lot of places done more harm than good.

I'd like to think that we can learn the lessons and actually use these ideas in the way they were intended though. There seems to be a big push back towards unionism from millenials and Gen Z, I guess as a response to the problems of the gig economy.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

and yet 20% of the UK workforce is still part of an Active Union...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm Unionism is like communism. And most other isms actually. Good idea in principle. But then the human element messes it up for everybody.
Very much depends on how it is implemented. Works well in Scandinavia (in general). In the face of a corporate behemoth it is often the only option to get them to take individuals seriously, but the downside is no non-collective bargaining and having to toe the line whether you agree or not. Swings and roundabouts!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:03 pm and yet 20% of the UK workforce is still part of an Active Union...
Conversely 80% of the UK workforce is not a member of an active union...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 pm
Very much depends on how it is implemented. Works well in Scandinavia (in general). In the face of a corporate behemoth it is often the only option to get them to take individuals seriously, but the downside is no non-collective bargaining and having to toe the line whether you agree or not. Swings and roundabouts!
Maybe it says more about us as a nation - the types then end up running the unions by and large seem to be total c**ts born out of the same moulds as our politicians. They're in it for the greed. With any luck, they might occasionally also do some good for those they represent.
Beany

Post by Beany »

It's the same as anything else; pretty much anyone who explicitly seeks power should be automatically prevented from getting it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Well if anyone is around my age the teachers strikes fucked up our education 85 - 87 ( I was 13 - 15 ). No wonder so many folks of my era are brexit voting dumbos :lol: :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Bar the odd day here and there, the worst we had in Ireland was 3 weeks of 3 day strikes. Tue, wed and Thur. that was 84.

Having said that, it was enough to cause #BecauseDinny... ;) :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am Or maybe the people that use them will find alternative couriers and realise how much they were being ripped off. I think Royal Mail are shooting themselves in the foot here.
Spot on - how to lose your 51 percent share of the market forever. Then they'll all be moaning that they have no jobs.
Won’t happen. They’re the only ‘courier’ who will deliver outside of major towns and cities to literally anywhere in the UK, in a given time frame, for ninety something percent of the time, for a fixed fee.

All other couriers will accept parcels to out of town or remote areas then pass it on to RM to deliver, they also pass on to RM as soon as they start to time out on the original obligation. A significant chunk of what a customer sees as an RM delivery actually started out elsewhere.

They’re not thick in striking...
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

So they will keep remote business which is a tiny percentage of deliveries. :shock:

They are thick in striking.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 pm Bar the odd day here and there, the worst we had in Ireland was 3 weeks of 3 day strikes. Tue, wed and Thur. that was 84.

Having said that, it was enough to cause #BecauseDinny... ;) :lol:
Yep, we were never affected by strikes 85 - 90
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Teacher strikes were great; extra days off school. Never did me any harm.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 pm So they will keep remote business which is a tiny percentage of deliveries. :shock:

They are thick in striking.
We shipped over 2000 parcels with them last week, both domestic and international and we're not even a particularly big customer for them. We're not likely to move because of a couple of three day strikes.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

All looking good then.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The Lloyds Banking Group Share Price Brexit Liklihood Indicator (©️Broccers) isn’t liking that much.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am The Lloyds Banking Group Share Price Brexit Liklihood Indicator (©️Broccers) isn’t liking that much.
Update me at 430pm :lol: