Bye Bye Boris!

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 pm And: what?

Lots of nothing actually set in stone to comment on.
Can't you see the Twitter link? There's a deadline of midnight tonight which has been imposed, failing which Boris definitely has to ask for an extension.
I expect Boris’ answer to that will be “and?”
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:08 pm
The only glimmer of hope out of this entire shitshow is that it's the beginning of the end of our old style politics. Unfortunately, we've still got a long way to go before things start to improve, and I suspect it needs things to get worse before they get better i.e. everyone needs to understand for themselves what a shitshow everything became.
We can but hope. We Brits have a tendency to get all het up about things, but ultimately letting them slide.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Is there a "new" style of politics on offer somewhere ???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I do think theres a deal happening by surge again today in bank shares - they surely would be shorted to hell if there wasnt going to progress and no deal at all.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 pm I do think theres a deal happening by surge again today in bank shares - they surely would be shorted to hell if there wasnt going to progress and no deal at all.
That could equally represent the fact that there's likely to be an extension request.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:51 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:44 pm I do think theres a deal happening by surge again today in bank shares - they surely would be shorted to hell if there wasnt going to progress and no deal at all.
That could equally represent the fact that there's likely to be an extension request.
Could do but as a daily follower of lloyds they are sky rocketing again :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Carlos wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 am I despair. Those that voted leave will be hurt, and in turn this will deprive their children even more.
This forum is typically the mass affluent so probably not in the best place to judge people who have nothing and when you have nothing you can't be worse off. Rather than label people stupid, racist and so on why not accept that some people will want a change as they can't imagine a more dire situation than they are in and a little bit of them hopes it's an opportunity for something different ?

ETA - that's not aimed at anyone in particular 👍
I agree with your point, but whatever motivated them to vote leave, they and their children will suffer the consequences far more than most of us. That is what I'm despairing about. And three years in, when it has been proven that there isn't anything to be hopeful about when it comes to Brexit, why aren't they demanding another say? If for no other reason than to confirm their original vote. I don't understand it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 am I despair. Those that voted leave will be hurt, and in turn this will deprive their children even more.
This forum is typically the mass affluent so probably not in the best place to judge people who have nothing and when you have nothing you can't be worse off. Rather than label people stupid, racist and so on why not accept that some people will want a change as they can't imagine a more dire situation than they are in and a little bit of them hopes it's an opportunity for something different ?

I agree with your point, but whatever motivated them to vote leave, they and their children will suffer the consequences far more than most of us. That is what I'm despairing about. And three years in, when it has been proven that there isn't anything to be hopeful about when it comes to Brexit, why aren't they demanding another say? If for no other reason than to confirm their original vote. I don't understand it.
Go to any shipyard in the UK swamped with foreign workers with no qualifications apart from “I’m a fitter” and you will see at least one example. I’m not saying they can’t do the work but in the same way the local guys just cannot compete on price.

They brought it upon themselves in many cases though due to the unions (I openly hate unions in the uk, so I’m biased) but it doesn’t change their current situation.

I wonder what the mix is with regards to non skilled labour and skilled labour from Europe is ? That has a big impact on what jobs are affected and how people want to vote.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 am

Go to any shipyard in the UK swamped with foreign workers with no qualifications apart from “I’m a fitter” and you will see at least one example. I’m not saying they can’t do the work but in the same way the local guys just cannot compete on price.

They brought it upon themselves in many cases though due to the unions (I openly hate unions in the uk, so I’m biased) but it doesn’t change their current situation.

I wonder what the mix is with regards to non skilled labour and skilled labour from Europe is ? That has a big impact on what jobs are affected and how people want to vote.

Dave!
But now that we know that all EU citizens in the UK automatically have the right to stay, therefore won't fix that issue, why not ask for another vote? What have they got to lose?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

What's this second vote bollocks? It's like some people don't have a grasp on reality. An election yes I'm all for that.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 am

Dave!
But now that we know that all EU citizens in the UK automatically have the right to stay, therefore won't fix that issue, why not ask for another vote? What have they got to lose?
I don’t know what others thought but I always presumed that if you were settled in the uk already then you should be allowed to stay. I’ve no idea how the mechanics of that work though in how you claim to live in the uk.

I’d not be happy with a second vote, I think it will only create more delay. If we had voted to leave though I truly think there would not be so much hatred being spouted, I don’t believe at the time I thought we would vote leave as a majority but I think that’s why there is such a divide, lots of people still don’t believe it.

I vote for my own personal reasons and for what I think are for the right reasons for me and my family, if the majority don’t agree and we go a different way, so be it.

I’ll be away for the next 4 weeks but I will be excitedly opening the paper on the 1st of November to see what delay, terrible happening or rally has happened though. I’m not entirely the f the mind that anything will change on the day.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think my dog senses a no deal brexit coming. The little shit is stockpiling and hiding his food in every nook and cranny the this past week which he never did before! :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's infuriating to me that a lot of people complain about the treatment of working class people in this country then go on to say that they hate unions.

I'm not saying that the unions were innocent victims in their downfall, but the way they were smashed by the tories is at the root of most if not all the issues that the working class has had to deal with over the last 30 years.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Are you saying the Royal Mail going on strike on Black friday and over xmas is a good thing then Zed?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can't think of a better time for them to strike than Black Friday tbh. It'll cause a massive headache for the people they're trying to make their point to and if it puts some people off buying a bunch of shite they don't need then win win.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Or maybe the people that use them will find alternative couriers and realise how much they were being ripped off. I think Royal Mail are shooting themselves in the foot here.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 am Are you saying the Royal Mail going on strike on Black friday and over xmas is a good thing then Zed?
Define “good thing”? As someone sending mail/packages on those dates, as an executive of the company, as an employee not getting paid on those days, it could be considered a “bad thing”.

On the other hand, if it leads to better pay/conditions/treatment for the employees, which lifts morale, which improves the service for customers, it could be seen as a “good thing”.

Is it a “good thing” or a “bad thing” that we don’t all work in mills 6.5 days a week, 12 hours per day, from the age of 8?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am Or maybe the people that use them will find alternative couriers and realise how much they were being ripped off. I think Royal Mail are shooting themselves in the foot here.
Spot on - how to lose your 51 percent share of the market forever. Then they'll all be moaning that they have no jobs.
dan

Post by dan »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am
Is it a “good thing” or a “bad thing” that we don’t all work in mills 6.5 days a week, 12 hours per day, from the age of 8?
Bad. I for one am looking forward to us opening the coal mines back up, bringing back ration books and rebuilding the empire. We can all muck in with some proper wartime spirit and get rid of all the bloody johnnies.

TAKE BACK CONTROL
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am Or maybe the people that use them will find alternative couriers and realise how much they were being ripped off. I think Royal Mail are shooting themselves in the foot here.
Spot on - how to lose your 51 percent share of the market forever. Then they'll all be moaning that they have no jobs.
I can only talk about my experience but for us Royal Mail are the cheapest by quite a long way. If they strike over Black Friday it would be a hassle but not enough to overcome the cost of moving to someone else.
An absolute unit