Bye Bye Boris!

nuttinnew

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by nuttinnew »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:47 am Not getting a good feeling about all the “what is a woman” culture war nonsense this morning tbh.
?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's going to be Sunak or Truss isn't it?

I bet Conservative Party Members will be wishing they had a none of the above choice. Both have been consistently very low down any polls of CP members for choice of next party leader.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What a state of affairs. Can't we just have a GE?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sunak has to be pretty high up on the list of worst person to be PM just now tbh, even among other conservatives he comes off as hugely privileged and out of touch with how most people are lving.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 pm Sunak has to be pretty high up on the list of worst person to be PM just now tbh, even among other conservatives he comes off as hugely privileged and out of touch with how most people are lving.
Saw a perfect description of him just now on PH - He comes across as someone that's been brought in to asset strip a company :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 pm Sunak has to be pretty high up on the list of worst person to be PM just now tbh, even among other conservatives he comes off as hugely privileged and out of touch with how most people are lving.
And this is what I don't get though. THere's an election coming in the not-too-distant future. MPs seem utterly oblivious as to who might be the best preson to win them that election. I know this is typically always the case, but getting behind the guy that is the face of the cost of living crisis?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:09 pm
And this is what I don't get though. THere's an election coming in the not-too-distant future. MPs seem utterly oblivious as to who might be the best preson to win them that election. I know this is typically always the case, but getting behind the guy that is the face of the cost of living crisis?
He's probably ending up as being the least controversial candidate just by keeping his mouth shut. Just have to hope people forget about the billionaire non dom wife :lol:
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Let'sall breathe a huge sigh of relief though - Priti Patel has dropped out
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:17 pm Let'sall breathe a huge sigh of relief though - Priti Patel has dropped out
She was never in but I see your point.
Simon

Post by Simon »

There's only one who I want to win and he's not even running, but that's Tobias Ellwood. One of the few remaining 'old school' moderates, capable, sincere and trustworthy.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Who is he supporting Simon ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hunt, Tom and Zawahi
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:25 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:09 pm
He's probably ending up as being the least controversial candidate just by keeping his mouth shut. Just have to hope people forget about the billionaire non dom wife :lol:
There has been some fuss this afternoon about Sunak not taking questions but to be fair, he doesn't have to appeal to the public to be selected now - he just needs to appeal to the small number of eligible Tory party voters. However, it wouldn't do him much good at a general election to behave like that; keeping your mouth shut is a recipe for losing by default.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

He doesn't appeal at all to party members though based on polls over the last 6-12mo.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Some suggestion on the news and Twitter that final two will be Penny and Rishi and Penny might just take it as Rishi isn't popular with Tory members.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Liz Truss? Really? WTAF.

Hoe deluded are these people????
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think many of the voters are forgetting that the winner could well be the PM ca couple of years. Putting an idiot in charge is not a good policy. Perhaps there's an acceptance that the next election is already lost, this is only a short term role and it needs a term or two in opposition to get the Tory party back into shape.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

She's Pro-Brexit and known to the public. Hence she's getting the pro-Brexit MPs vote I'd imagine, who will want the best chance of getting someone in the final two.

Mordaunt appears to be backed largely by Remain Torys, as is Rishi.

If it came down to wanting to field a Brexit/Remain pair of candidates to members I'd imagine Mordaunt would be preferable over Rishi. If it did end up Mordaunt or Truss though it could be interesting to see who they'd pick.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I don't think Brexit should be that relevant to the vote when we have already left - I take it the Brexiteers are the ones still fighting for it, even though it's happened?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:13 pm I don't think Brexit should be that relevant to the vote when we have already left - I take it the Brexiteers are the ones still fighting for it, even though it's happened?
Of course it still matters. There's the small matter of the NIP for a start and whether it gets left, tweaked or binned etc. Then there's future relations with the EU and whether one is less cooperative or more. And lastly there's whether the hopeful has the basic drive to maximise opportunities that Brexit has enabled or is satisfied to leave things largely as they are.

Now we can all argue over some of those points along the age old lines of the Brexit debate either way, but they're still factors in MPs and Party members choosing who they might want as next PM.