Bye Bye Boris!

GG.

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by GG. »

The interesting thing is that Tusk isn't actively involved in the process (or, more correctly, shouldn't be). He's president of the Council of individual member states - not part of the negotiating team under Barnier and doesn't (at least formally) have a say. If things progress to a stage where the member states get involved in approving a deal, then he's responsible for orchestrating those discussions.

His main aim in briefing and tweeting at this point is managing precisely the 'blame game' he says he's not getting involved in - he's trying to make sure the EU don't look like the bad guy ('UK tell us what you want', 'no workable proposals', etc.) and managing expectations so that people are pleasantly surprised when/if an agreement gets reached. If people are presently surprised then they're more likely to agree to the deal that's been thrashed out. He's playing an overtly PR/political role.

A good indicator of how Tusk's spin on things is generally not going to be a reliable indicator of the progress of the negotiations is the fact that Varadkar has now confirmed we are progressing to "tunnel" negotiations where there will be a media blackout.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 am
Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:32 am Well that’s the same as solving any problem - From learning to tie your laces to splitting an atom.

Before you find any solution:
“Unfortunately, we are still in a situation in without a workable, realistic proposal,"

Then you make a breakthrough:
"We have received promising signals that a solution is still possible."
I'm sure they'll be able to throw an international trade treaty together in a fortnight now that just one part of the deal has promising signals about it.
They don't need to solve for a UK-EU trade deal in the next two weeks - just a fallback that provides for the integrity of the EU market along the NI border if a deal can't be agreed by the end of a 2 year transitional period (unless that falls away too - which I don't think anyone is suggesting).

I'm not really sure you understand what's going on here.
Beany

Post by Beany »

There's a tiny, but extremely important, point of order that's been a problem for the negotiating teams for years.

They think there might be a possibility of resolving it- it's not been entirely thrown out yet.

There's still literally everything else that needs to be dealt with, including getting any proposed deal through parliament.

You don't need to understand constitutional law to realise that this is basically a tiny change, and all it prevents - if it's actually true - is the absolute end of negotiations at this stage.

If a deal is agreed within the next two weeks that isn't absolute dogshit, I'll be utterly flabbergasted.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Lets face it anyone who voted remain is never going to be happy until they die (in a ditch?) :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:38 pm Lets face it anyone who voted remain is never going to be happy until they die (in a ditch?) :lol:
Nobody who voted leave is ever going to be happy. What's your cause going to be after we've left?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh no, they'll have years of complaining about how the EU and UK political elite are fucking them over because no one is rolling out the red carpet and offering us preferential trade deals :lol:.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:50 pm Oh no, they'll have years of complaining about how the EU and UK political elite are fucking them over because no one is rolling out the red carpet and offering us preferential trade deals :lol:.
And how whatever WA isn’t Brexit, and then if we ever actually achieve an ongoing deal how that isn’t Brexit either and the whole thing is a “betrayal” etc.

I notice the “No Deal, out on WTO rules NOW” Russian bots appear to have stopped spamming Twitter and the Daily Mail comments sections.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:38 pm Lets face it anyone who voted remain is never going to be happy until they die (in a ditch?) :lol:
Nobody who voted leave is ever going to be happy. What's your cause going to be after we've left?
I havent thought about it, limited brain capacity us racist morons :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That would explain the clutching at straws today then Broccers.

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Lloyds shares still rising and up over 12 percent as I type *shrugs*
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm Lloyds shares still rising and up over 12 percent as I type *shrugs*
Deal in Better-than-No-Deal complete non-shocker.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:33 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm Lloyds shares still rising and up over 12 percent as I type *shrugs*
Come on Maddie!!!!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:33 pm
Come on Maddie!!!!
She’s saddling up Shergar as we speak.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Broccers wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:18 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 pm
I havent thought about it, limited brain capacity us racist morons :lol:
It will be interesting to watch.

When the people get what they voted for (i.e. to leave, not for a specific good/bad deal as delivered by the people they charged with delivering their golden unicorns, as voted for) and the problems that caused that vote still exist, who will they blame/what will they want next?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I wonder what the people of Sunderland who voted to leave in a large majority will think when Nissan, their biggest employer, also leaves! :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:54 pm I wonder what the people of Sunderland who voted to leave in a large majority will think when Nissan, their biggest employer, also leaves! :D
bUt We GoT OuR sOvEreIgNtY BaCk

They cry, as they pick up their Universal Credit allowance that doesn't actually cover their bills.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:12 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:54 pm I wonder what the people of Sunderland who voted to leave in a large majority will think when Nissan, their biggest employer, also leaves! :D
bUt We GoT OuR sOvEreIgNtY BaCk

They cry, as they pick up their Universal Credit allowance that doesn't actually cover their bills.
And they have no one to blame but themselves! :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

I don't find that a particularly entertaining concept because:
A: Working for Nissan in Sunderland was, until recently, considered a job for life, or at the least, a good, a solid thing you could plan a few years in advance with..
B: People with stable jobs get finance on things
C: Universal Credit cares not for your finance.

Lots and lots of people are going to go from good, stable jobs to having fuck all, ending up in massive debt, and they are going to get humped.

Sad times for the sort of stupid fucks who voted to look the gift horse in the mouth, and then shoot into it because brown people.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 pm I don't find that a particularly entertaining concept because:
A: Working for Nissan in Sunderland was, until recently, considered a job for life, or at the least, a good, a solid thing you could plan a few years in advance with..
B: People with stable jobs get finance on things
C: Universal Credit cares not for your finance.

Lots and lots of people are going to go from good, stable jobs to having fuck all, ending up in massive debt, and they are going to get humped.

Sad times for the sort of stupid fucks who voted to look the gift horse in the mouth, and then shoot into it because brown people.
Nissan said before the referendum that they would have to leave if the UK voted to leave, knowing this they still voted to shoot themselves in the head. I have no sympathy.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I don't think that's entirely accurate; I recall them saying that an uncertain financial situation (IE a no deal brexit) would cause them to rethink their position.

Of course, no-one expected a No-Deal brexit. No-one advertised a no-deal brexit. It was a last resort.

Oh well....