Bye Bye Boris!

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Interestingly, we've had cock all sign of campaigning from our Tory MP SIr Graham Brady. Lots from Lab and Lib Dems and Greens. Traditionally a Tory safe seat, so maybe they're assuming they don't need to bother. But then they lost control of the Council to Labour in the last round of local elections so a bit bloody presumptuous if they are taking it for granted.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:12 pm Interestingly, we've had cock all sign of campaigning from our Tory MP SIr Graham Brady. Lots from Lab and Lib Dems and Greens. Traditionally a Tory safe seat, so maybe they're assuming they don't need to bother. But then they lost control of the Council to Labour in the last round of local elections so a bit bloody presumptuous if they are taking it for granted.
Which clearly demonstrates the key issue with FPtP.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They did the same with Canterbury last election as it has always been a safe seat then all the schools and uni students had a campaign to vote for labour, which worked :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:00 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:23 am Talking about poverty you haven’t removed yourself from with a 330 convertible to drive is a pretty poor argument.
Don't you have a 500E locked up somewhere? ;)
Yeah but I’m doing ok and only get the 15 hours so can lord it over everyone else while I knock the benefits back like I’m clubbing baby seals :lol:

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

You monster :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am This thread is just a series of rhetorical questions and cherry-picked highly specific scenarios that people seem to think prove a much wider and vastly more complex situation.

Nobody has any answers that stand up to scrutiny. The same as the political parties themselves.

nef is the only person that’s posted a remotely balanced view here and it’s been largely glossed over with “your party sucks” and “no, your party sucks” over and over.

All these things are why I usually keep out of political threads.
This - particularly the Nef part...

My other half's mother has physical and psychological issues. She has various forms of benefit, housing, sickness etc and has been renting privately for the past 17 years because, back in 2002, there wasn't available housing. She has to top her Housing benefit our of her sickness benefit. Her experience of Universal Credit is this. They send new forms, she fills them in, her benefits continue. Her landlord decided to sell the house so she followed the procedure. Contact council, refuse to leave etc. 7 weeks later, she moved into a bungalow which had been freshly painted. No topping up of housing benefit etc. But the DWP / Social's Fucked.

I broke my finger in February. In the space of 5 days I saw my GP, a Triage Doctor at A&E, a Radiographer for my x-Ray and the Orthopaedic Consultant. Max waiting time was 90 minutes for the A&E Triage. But the NHS's fucked.

etc etc.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think I’ve cost the NHS around £1 million so far so no complaints from me :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am This thread is just a series of rhetorical questions and cherry-picked highly specific scenarios that people seem to think prove a much wider and vastly more complex situation.

Nobody has any answers that stand up to scrutiny. The same as the political parties themselves.

nef is the only person that’s posted a remotely balanced view here and it’s been largely glossed over with “your party sucks” and “no, your party sucks” over and over.

My other half's mother has physical and psychological issues. She has various forms of benefit, housing, sickness etc and has been renting privately for the past 17 years because, back in 2002, there wasn't available housing. She has to top her Housing benefit our of her sickness benefit. Her experience of Universal Credit is this. They send new forms, she fills them in, her benefits continue. Her landlord decided to sell the house so she followed the procedure. Contact council, refuse to leave etc. 7 weeks later, she moved into a bungalow which had been freshly painted. No topping up of housing benefit etc. But the DWP / Social's Fucked.

I broke my finger in February. In the space of 5 days I saw my GP, a Triage Doctor at A&E, a Radiographer for my x-Ray and the Orthopaedic Consultant. Max waiting time was 90 minutes for the A&E Triage. But the NHS's fucked.

etc etc.
TBF it's the tories that are trying to convince people that the NHS isn't fit for purpose so they can convince people it will be a good idea to sell it off.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So the short term view is that this shit show will continue ad infinitum. Which I guess makes it a long term view and from my own selfish Jockland view I think independence may be inevitable now. SNP don't really have to do much - just wait out this election and then get a referendum on the subject, campaigning along the lines of Scotland as country having voted to remain in the EU and being ignored, not to mention the Westminster clown show and Bob's your uncle.

I'm still amazed daily at the lineup of so called leaders the parties have and also how we struggle to hold them to account for any of their actions, lies, inaction etc. Its times like this where the polite British "way" doesn't seem to do us any good.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:09 pm So the short term view is that this shit show will continue ad infinitum. Which I guess makes it a long term view and from my own selfish Jockland view I think independence may be inevitable now. SNP don't really have to do much - just wait out this election and then get a referendum on the subject, campaigning along the lines of Scotland as country having voted to remain in the EU and being ignored, not to mention the Westminster clown show and Bob's your uncle.

If you watched the Neill interview with Sturgeon you'll know it's not quite as easy as that. They have to get a party in Gov't that would support Indyref2 for a start, and that's before we get into whether the UK will have Brexited, Scotland's currency, and accession.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:06 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 pm

etc etc.
TBF it's the tories that are trying to convince people that the NHS isn't fit for purpose so they can convince people it will be a good idea to sell it off.
Are they? I must've missed that.

What I do remember is that much of the NHS privatisation that has occurred was implemented under a Labour Gov't...
GG.

Post by GG. »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:34 pm
Ascender wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:09 pm So the short term view is that this shit show will continue ad infinitum. Which I guess makes it a long term view and from my own selfish Jockland view I think independence may be inevitable now. SNP don't really have to do much - just wait out this election and then get a referendum on the subject, campaigning along the lines of Scotland as country having voted to remain in the EU and being ignored, not to mention the Westminster clown show and Bob's your uncle.

If you watched the Neill interview with Sturgeon you'll know it's not quite as easy as that. They have to get a party in Gov't that would support Indyref2 for a start, and that's before we get into whether the UK will have Brexited, Scotland's currency, and accession.
I would presume that in the event of secession, the only way to be economically viable would be to sell Scotland lock, stock and barrel to Donald Trump - US healthcare providers elbowing into the NHS's procurement processes will be the least of Sturgeon's worries. After all, he is very keen on Scotland (and Golf) and did offer to buy Greenland recently. :lol:

Also, with Alex Salmond going on trial for attempted rape next year, I think Nicola should count her lucky stars the election is being held now and not in the middle of a tawdry legal case about their former leader. I can't imagine the SNP's popularity is going to increase whilst that is going on.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Why? Being a xenophobic, homophobic lying turd does not seem to have adversely affected the polling on Boris Johnson so why would you think Salmond's trial would adversely affect the SNPs standing?

Maybe as the right wing bias of many news outlets (I newspaper just bought up by tax dodging wanks now too) will be absolutely pounding at it in the hope of keeping us Scots "where we belong".

Much as happened during the last few elections and referenda.
GG.

Post by GG. »

:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well the current terrorism in London will throw Boris a good excuse for missing future debates as he runs off to call his COBRA meeting.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Yeah, I was over-simplifying things a massive amount, but I genuinely think if there's a massive will, there will be a way.

Salmond being a creepy perv won't hurt the SNP cause one little bit from what I've seen. Even Sturgeon being who she is won't stand in the way, as much as she's the very public face of nationalism and independence, I think the country as a whole is thoroughly fed up.
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:12 pm Well the current terrorism in London will throw Boris a good excuse for missing future debates as he runs off to call his COBRA meeting.
The current false flag operation to boost a xenophobic groundswell, you mean?

I’ll let you all decide if I’m joking or not, because I’m not sure myself.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:12 pm Interestingly, we've had cock all sign of campaigning from our Tory MP SIr Graham Brady. Lots from Lab and Lib Dems and Greens.
Conversely here, also a traditionally safe Conservative seat, the only door-to door canvassing has been from the Conservatives.

Chap knocked on the door and said who he was (not the actual candidate) and launched into a “get Brexit done” spiel. I stopped him, said that I don’t want to “get Brexit done”, I didn’t vote for it, I don’t want to leave Europe, the last three years have been a fiasco, and I’m not voting for a party that’s going to force it through regardless.

He looked a bit dejected and left. I’m guessing he’d had much easier pickings at other houses around here.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

And he’ll still probably say “everyone I speak to says they want us to get Brexit done”.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:04 pm And he’ll still probably say “everyone I speak to says they want us to get Brexit done”.
I do think this is working for them though. Basically, every leave voter will vote Tory (Brexit party don't stand a chance) while the leave vote will be split Labour / Lib Dem / possibly Green. Easy win on a single issue.