Bye Bye Boris!

NotoriousREV

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 pm I’ve no doubt there’ll end up being some truth to it, but that article just read as opinion at this stage - there was no actual reporting of any new facts in it was there?
“ Downing Street on Thursday refused to stand by an earlier pledge to keep so-called “chlorinated chicken” off UK shelves, in the first sign of the government folding under pressure from American trade negotiators.”

“ But it is understood that the dual-tariff system is now being favoured by ministers, a move the National Farmers’ Union described as a “step forward” compared to the more radical proposals.

A government source told the newspaper that a dual-tariff approach would give UK producers a “competitive advantage” over the US.”

This is Cummings’ nudge messaging in action. Slowly leak the bad news to the press, slowly warming the frog in the pot.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 pm I’ve no doubt there’ll end up being some truth to it, but that article just read as opinion at this stage - there was no actual reporting of any new facts in it was there?
“ Downing Street on Thursday refused to stand by an earlier pledge to keep so-called “chlorinated chicken” off UK shelves, in the first sign of the government folding under pressure from American trade negotiators.”

The reporter probably send an email and didn’t get a reply. see they’re refusing to stand by it!!!!!

“ But it is understood that the dual-tariff system is now being favoured by ministers, a move the National Farmers’ Union described as a “step forward” compared to the more radical proposals.

Again, that’s just the reporters opinion.

A government source told the newspaper that a dual-tariff approach would give UK producers a “competitive advantage” over the US.”

Yep, that sounds true - doesn’t mean it’s the option they’re favouring.

This is Cummings’ nudge messaging in action. Slowly leak the bad news to the press, slowly warming the frog in the pot.

So it’s spin rather than actual reporting of facts.
But i agree that it’s 100% the wrong thing to do - the US’s methods are just not appropriate for us and even introducing it with tariffs is opening the door to it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Is this the right place or c19 - all related to fake news https://lockdownsceptics.org/
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:28 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm

The reporter probably send an email and didn’t get a reply. see they’re refusing to stand by it!!!!!

Again, that’s just the reporters opinion.

Yep, that sounds true - doesn’t mean it’s the option they’re favouring.

So it’s spin rather than actual reporting of facts.
But i agree that it’s 100% the wrong thing to do - the US’s methods are just not appropriate for us and even introducing it with tariffs is opening the door to it.
You’re being very naive. These phrases have well known meanings in the press. “It is understood” = we have been told off the record, for example.

It’s not spin, it’s the story being fed in a controlled way that causes the least fuss. They know they’re going back on their word and they’re trying to normalise it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It would take 5 minutes for the government press office to release a statement countering what the press are saying.

By the time there’s any official facts about this it’ll be old news and broccers friends in #scummedia will be telling everyone to move on and focus on something else.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Assuming it’s all 100% true, what action will you take?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Personally I plan on constantly asking obtuse questions in response to others statements without actually adding anything to the discourse or stating what my own actual opinion is.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I stopped eating meat about a year and a half ago 🙂
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:41 pm I stopped eating meat about a year and a half ago 🙂
i can respect that as a response.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You can look out for it when buying meat yourself but fast food places, many restaurants, ready meals, pet food etc will all have this shite in it so it will be unavoidable to only consume local meat.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:46 pm You can look out for it when buying meat yourself but fast food places, many restaurants, ready meals, pet food etc will all have this shite in it so it will be unavoidable to only consume local meat.
I'm definitely going to avoid eating pet food.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah pet food is hard.

We buy the best we can but even a lot of the good brands use the leftovers from Far East fisheries that are almost certainly full of dolphin.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:46 pm You can look out for it when buying meat yourself but fast food places, many restaurants, ready meals, pet food etc will all have this shite in it so it will be unavoidable to only consume local meat.
You say that now but give it another year and a water war and you’ll be splitting a can with your dog like Mad Max :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We don’t really have any Pre-made meals or takeaway anymore bar the odd kebab (which was probably medical waste anyway) so for us it’s not an issue.

It will be interesting on the uptake of it though, if it’s obvious in the shops if the shouting from the public will end if the meat is noticeably cheaper.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You joke about it but the small holder we got our goats from has a chicken farm too where she produces free range chickens for Wildwood and Wingham zoo. If the zoo can buy American chickens for much less then that her screwed.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm
You joke about it but the small holder we got our goats from has a chicken farm too where she produces free range chickens for Wildwood and Wingham zoo. If the zoo can buy American chickens for much less then that her screwed.
Yeah, not good. i was listening to a radio 4 piece a month or two back about American farming practices. I’d be 100% against us supporting it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Companies have already found loopholes in existing rules on origin to present meat as UK sourced when it isn’t. So unless you 100% know where your meat came from, there’s a chance it’s going to be the shite stuff.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There are already farms sneaking in US style farming as well. There are a few down south testing feedlot style beef rearing, so fed almost exclusively on soy based food with no pasture grazing. About as intensive as you can get and the standard over there.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s a reason things cost more here, animal welfare, minimum wage, hygiene standards. You can’t get more local than supporting your own farms and you know what happens when all those farms start to lose money. It’s easy enough to convert agricultural buildings to houses and more profitable too and happening all too much these days. It’s even tougher with the shite weather and brexit right now.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:32 pm You’re being very naive. These phrases have well known meanings in the press. “It is understood” = we have been told off the record, for example.

It’s not spin, it’s the story being fed in a controlled way that causes the least fuss. They know they’re going back on their word and they’re trying to normalise it.
Seems to be standard practice for something potentially controversial to be leaked to test public opinion before being announced now. However, Boris seems to be managing to destroy his own approval ratings before worrying about chlorinated chicken so we're probably getting to peak 'Fuck it, we'll introduce it anyway and worry about opinion polls nearer the next election' shortly.