Bye Bye Boris!

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Gavin »

His credible deal may just be more of the same but given it is highly unlikely any deal will be better than staying in and trying to affect some changes perhaps that is the only solution.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think it would be fairly easy to renegotiate a withdrawal agreement which kept the UK in the single market and customs union going forward. Labour aren't constrained by the Tories' red lines, for a start.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:48 am And what credible leave deal is this? Given that BJ only manage to secure a change to the WA which was actually along the lines of what the EU originally wanted anyway.
This. Is Corbyn going to take the current deal and modify it, or start with a Norway or Canada type deal? It’s just a nonsense if we can’t understand what sort of deal he’s going to chase.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 am I think this is a fairly clear policy from Labour. They are against No Deal, they don't like Boris's deal and once they get a credible deal, they'll put it back to the people.

But: it may be seen as just can-kicking, amongst an electorate bored of Brexit. And it's not a short message which they can keep repeating until it becomes an earworm.
Which is reliant on multiple further extensions from the EU to allow first the negotiation and then the referendum, ergo a much higher risk of no deal which they're ostensibly against and presumably postponing resolution on the issue until 2021, probably. Unfortunately there are enough gullible people out there to take what they say at face value rather than seeing it for what it is - a cynical attempt to try and fudge the issue to get voters from both sides.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 am I think this is a fairly clear policy from Labour. They are against No Deal, they don't like Boris's deal and once they get a credible deal, they'll put it back to the people.

But: it may be seen as just can-kicking, amongst an electorate bored of Brexit. And it's not a short message which they can keep repeating until it becomes an earworm.
Which is reliant on multiple further extensions from the EU to allow first the negotiation and then the referendum, ergo a much higher risk of no deal which they're ostensibly against and presumably postponing resolution on the issue until 2021, probably. Unfortunately there are enough gullible people out there to take what they say at face value rather than seeing it for what it is - a cynical attempt to try and fudge the issue to get voters from both sides.
So exactly like the Tory approach then.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am Unfortunately there are enough gullible people out there to take what they say at face value
Unlike Boris, I don't think Corbyn is lying. I do think he'll see it through.

I don't much like Corbyn, I don't like many Labour policies, but on this point I think he's got the most pragmatic stance.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The EU were pretty firm that they wouldn't be reopening the WA again. Yes, I know they said that last time, but I think they mean it this time.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:38 am Did you manage to get your celebratory 50p coin, Tim? Now worth more than a Lloyds share.
56.7p as of 8.22am. :( I am not retiring on that!

Jobbo - when was the referendum to change from FPTP? I have no memory so I assume during my late teens - early twenties or before I was aware?
2011, Gav.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Un ... referendum

I voted “No”, not because I wanted FPTP, but because they chose what appeared to be the worst version of PR to me at the time.
Thank you, it rings the vaguest of bells. I guess it suites Tory and Labour parties to retain FPT, although the Greens and LibDems would presumably love PR in some form. It works well for Holyrood and EU elections and would seem a far better idea than let a cretin like Johnson run the country in to the ground with 35% of the vote.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I have a theory that simple AV doesn’t change the result. See the Labour Party leadership contest for details. The order never changes throughout the rounds.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:13 am The EU were pretty firm that they wouldn't be reopening the WA again. Yes, I know they said that last time, but I think they mean it this time.
They won't give an extension either, until one is requested. You forget that they are not negotiating by brinkmanship, and they don't really want us to leave. If there is a change of government that is a very obvious reason both to extent again, and renegotiate the withdrawal agreement. Particularly if the government charged with negotiating wishes to have a closer relationship.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

One thing is for sure, I hate this new Tory parrot fashion repetition of the chosen buzz-phrases. "get Brexit done" and "dither and delay".
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 am "dither and delay"
That's going to backfire on them, I predict. They're the ones who left it until the last minute to negotiate with the EU, they're the ones who when they came back with a withdrawal agreement which Parliament voted to move to a second reading, decided instead to pull it and have a general election.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Classic Dom.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

http://www.keithvazmp.com/statement-from-keith-vaz-mp/ I think this lad should stand - seems the right fit :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:38 am Did you manage to get your celebratory 50p coin, Tim? Now worth more than a Lloyds share.
56.7p as of 8.22am. :( I am not retiring on that!
Held up quite well if you see their profits been wiped out by PPI. :D

The 50p coin now would be quite rare and therefore a lot more than 50p after they got nearly all melted - there will samples out there.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Has everyone got their paperwork in order for tomorrow? November 1st, the first full beautiful day of Brexit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It turns out I was right back in June:
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:01 pm BoJo is exactly who we need in charge at this point. He's utterly ineffectual, Brexit will fail under his leadership.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 pm Right folks, 100 pages and he’s gone. Get cracking!
Page 96 and we have a GE agreed with Boris having failed to deliver Brexit.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
evostick

Post by evostick »

Was so lovely to hear Donald talking about Boris to Nigel last night :lol:

On LBC Broccers so it actually happened.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Disappointing lack of riots in the streets, as predicted by James 'proving nominative determinism wrong' Cleverly.