Bye Bye Boris!

JLv3.0

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by JLv3.0 »

Blue passports and less brown people. Very simple. Oh and something to do with fish.
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^All that, whilst actually ignoring that ironically being out of the EU would result in 'more brown people' not less...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Leave means Leave Simon, let's try and be naively, stupidly positive.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm Freedom of movement means there’s no need for excise or tax checks. That’s what Customs Union means.
Ah yes, good point, what about stuff potentially originating from elsewhere though - surely there is a process for checking them?
Checked at point of entry ie ports and airports if from outside EU.
Rich isn't even a Leave voter, IIRC. FFS, the lack of knowledge of what the EU does is incredible.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:59 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 pm Ah yes, good point, what about stuff potentially originating from elsewhere though - surely there is a process for checking them?
Rich isn't even a Leave voter, IIRC. FFS, the lack of knowledge of what the EU does is incredible.
True, I’m man enough to ask questions for things I don’t know though.

How does the tax part of this work - if goods enter one EU country and end up sold in another - when does the VAT get added and who/how is that checked?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Taxes are all paid at point of entry, then can be shipped freely around the eu.
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:32 pm As per Revs comments. Plus, if we get a decent trade deal with the EU which is just like what we have today then we probably won’t need the checks anyway, because there will be nothing that needs checking.
good point - the better the trade deal, the smaller the "Border" needs to be. Hammers us with high tariffs and we'll need a hard border to police it. Makes the issue of the "Backstop" a little clearer as it could be seen as transferring the onus of responsibility for the border back on the EU.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 am

How does the tax part of this work - if goods enter one EU country and end up sold in another - when does the VAT get added and who/how is that checked?
If it's a business VAT gets added in the country where they're selling it to the public.

The company I work for imports from China and sells wholesale to EU customers, we don't charge our customers VAT as long as they're VAT registered in their own country. We also sell retail and we charge VAT to everyone.

Obviously we're liable for all the duties etc for the initial import from China.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Technically a business pays the VAT as well, they just claim it back (or in reality offset it agains the VAT collected from onward sales) if they’re VAT registered.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:49 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 am

If it's a business VAT gets added in the country where they're selling it to the public.

The company I work for imports from China and sells wholesale to EU customers, we don't charge our customers VAT as long as they're VAT registered in their own country. We also sell retail and we charge VAT to everyone.

Obviously we're liable for all the duties etc for the initial import from China.
And this is the beauty of the current system. When the goods first arrive in Europe the import duties which are in place between the EU and the country of original are handled there and then, so it’s very simple “everything from X country is charged Y import tax”. The VAT is only added at the point of sale to the general public, so the UK can control its VAT rate completely independent to Poland, France, Germany etc. yet still benefit from the decent trade deals which are leveraged by the buying power of the whole of the EU as a single market with hundreds of millions of people to sell to and not, as we will become, a single small nation with tens of millions to sell to.

The US is hundreds of millions of people, China is a massive market, the Middle East and India are huge populations too and by leaving the EU we leave the buying power we had. If the UK have no trade deals in place then most countries will see a circa 5% loss in export market with a few being higher than that and most being lower, but the UK would see a 100% loss in export market until some kind of trade deal is in place. If we have high tariffs on our newly negotiated trade deals then we have to fund the resource required to manage collecting those tariffs, if we somehow manage to get free trade deals agreed then those management costs diminish completely but then we open up the opportunity for unfair competition in our own home markets. That’s something we manage with the EU currently and although not perfect it’s a long way from utter crisis where you get businesses failing and jobs being lost due to UK residents choosing to buy cheaper imports instead.

I think this is where some Brexiteers moan, they see various countries raising genuine concerns and putting things in place to make the trade within Europe and to the outside “fair”, so industries don’t collapse, and they put standards in place to ensure the goods are of an acceptable quality. Brexiteers see this as “meddling” and the UK should be able to accept what they want and how they want, when in reality we’re actually trading by rules which for the most part already benefit everyone contributing to the economic system which gives the whole of the EU great trading power and help growth.
Last edited by Orange Cola on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

tHeY nEed Us mOre tHan We nEeD ThEm
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:45 pm tHeY nEed Us mOre tHan We nEeD ThEm
Which is, frankly, bollocks.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:45 pm tHeY nEed Us mOre tHan We nEeD ThEm
I thought I’d made that clear, but thanks for agreeing with me :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The best thing about todays HOC is the speaker nearly losing his voice - hopefully he fully does
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:51 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm
I thought I’d made that clear, but thanks for agreeing with me :lol:
I was reaffirming my agreement. I hear a lot of people trotting that line out in between making calls to big European suppliers who openly acknowledge 95%+ of their business is not with the UK :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:53 pm The best thing about todays HOC is the speaker nearly losing his voice - hopefully he fully does
That’s Future Prime Minister of a Government of National Unity John Bercow to you.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Apparently we'll need an ATA Carnet to bring a work laptop into the EU after Brexit? Cost quoted as £326/year per item required. Obviously worth it for a blue passport made in France.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

And less darkies and more fish, or something.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:57 pm Apparently we'll need an ATA Carnet to bring a work laptop into the EU after Brexit? Cost quoted as £326/year per item required. Obviously worth it for a blue passport made in France.
Very few people who voted for Brexit intend taking a work laptop to the EU.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:57 pm Apparently we'll need an ATA Carnet to bring a work laptop into the EU after Brexit? Cost quoted as £326/year per item required. Obviously worth it for a blue passport made in France.
Very few people who voted for Brexit have jobs that require a work laptop.
Fixed. :lol: