Bye Bye Boris!

Orange Cola

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Orange Cola »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 pm Gold. :lol:

Anyway, some great moments in Parliament so far today.
Sounds like there’s not been any, but I can’t be bothered looking to find out for myself ;)

I think, somehow, Brexit as an issue is taking a step back and the state of our politics and it being in desperate need of change is front and centre in the limelight. I honestly think our politics needs changing for the better before Brexit has a chance of being delivered properly.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Periodically I pop in here to see how people are. It never fails to entertain. :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

Preach, we could do with that 'benevolent dictatorship' from you that we used to discuss so often on here.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m not sure I even care about benevolence anymore.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

Anyone else bored yet?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Do you think there’s any real people, who were educated in the last 30 years, who still think that Brexit is a great idea?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

<waves>

How it’s being delivered though, a total farce.

Can we sack all politicians and have successful managers, CEOs and other such people arrange it or will that require a team of Hitmen and some undercover shenanigans ?

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm <waves>

Can we sack all politicians and have successful managers, CEOs and other such people arrange it or will that require a team of Hitmen and some undercover shenanigans ?

Dave!
Ah, but they would be experts, and we all know how everyone feels about experts these days!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Dave!
Like, for example, someone a bit like, perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, a sort of Donald Trump type figure? Perhaps :shock:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Dave!
Like, for example, someone a bit like, perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, a sort of Donald Trump type figure? Perhaps :shock:
He said successful. Trump has just managed to fail up.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Dave!
It's being delivered the only way it can be as it's a total impossibility. Cast your mind back to the morning of the referendum result and picture BJs face as he realised what he'd done. Was he celebrating? No, he looked like a naughty kid in front of the headmaster cos he knew his bluff had backfired.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Johnson is found to have behaved unlawfully by proroguing parliament with the purpose of furstrating parliamentary process and scrutiny of the goverment, etc.

Downing Street then threatens to do exactly the same thing again.

They do realise that a lot of people aren't as plain fucking thick as Sun and Daily Mail readers and can see right through this populist bullshit, right?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, and....

Which is a bit of a change of tone from this...

Ho ho but he has floppy hair and is amusing. :roll:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Lots of remain voters pretending they're intelligent too. :D :twisted:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Dave!
Ah, but they would be experts, and we all know how everyone feels about experts these days!

An ex is a has-been and a spurt is a drip under pressure?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Just as I thought my levels of outrage and incredulity couldn't get any higher...
We've already passed the point where the serving cabal even make a pretence at honesty, and are just prepared to stand up and outright deny self-evident facts (in many cases with a defiant smirk).
But yesterday's performances in the commons from Cox, BJ et all move us on to a whole new level.
No matter what side of the Brexit debate you're on, alarm bells must surely be ringing when the attorney general resorts to undermining the principles of representative democracy when a minority government is legally inhibited in their attempts to damage the country's economy for their own personal gain, the prime minister dismisses out of hand calls to slightly tone down violence-inducing rhetoric, and any semblance of reasonable parliamentary debate has been reduced to the blind repetition of the phase "Brexit must be delivered" like some kind of fucked automaton.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Yeah. Still the electorate will vote for them in the main because they protect the interests of the rich. And what choice have they got 😁
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Unfortunately, the alarm bells are only ringing for those of us outside the cult. For the rest, literally everything else is worth burning because it’s impossible for them to admit, even to themselves, that the whole thing is an unachievable, reckless act of destruction with no upside because it would mean having to admit they were wrong, even though it’s self-evident at this point.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Richard wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:27 pm Do you think there’s any real people, who were educated in the last 30 years, who still think that Brexit is a great idea?
There are yes, I’m not one of them but I work with a few of them. None of them actually need to work for an income, draw from that what you will.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:51 am Yeah. Still the electorate will vote for them in the main because they protect the interests of the rich. And what choice have they got 😁
Douglas Adams wrote: “It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford. "It is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
"What?"
"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
Ford shrugged again.
"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happenned to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."
"But that's terrible," said Arthur.
"Listen, bud," said Ford, "if I had one Altairian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say 'That's terrible' I wouldn't be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.”
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"