Bye Bye Boris!

NotoriousREV

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by NotoriousREV »

Feel free to share your truth, Broccers. 😂

I expect it’s something like “Leave means Leave”, “You lost, get over it” or “Will of the people”, right?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Keep taking the meds fella
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 pm Feel free to share your truth, Broccers. 😂
I'm not a political expert, sorry. I look forward to you lot sorting this out tho, it's very good of you :lol:

More meds? Best stockpile them here just in case of NO DEAL :lol: :lol: :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Phillip Lee has left the Tories and joined the Lib Dems. Boris’ working majority has now gone.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Not that I've posted anything in here, but read this just now, and thought it was fairly accurate. I'm also in the completely confused about what's currently going on. And just saw that one of the Tory MPs has changed to Lib Dems, so no majority now.

Comment from a Guardian article:

If you (can bear to) listen to and/or read the 'comments' of Brexit supporters they seem to fall into a few distinct tribes:

All of them seem utterly delighted that Brexit is causing 'Remoaners' distress and are very keen to gloat. They have no real arguments, and no facts, they simply relish the anguish of people who are not like them. Some love to call the other half of the country 'quislings' and 'fifth columnists' and talk of the hideous punishments of the old days for 'treason'.

This seems to be the only positive of Brexit they can think of, and boy do they love to point it out. If you push them harder they'll cite freedom for EU rules, of which they can name absolutely none. Or daft stuff about newspaper for fish and chips and kids not being allowed to play conkers or climb trees at school. (Of course most of what they object to has nothing to do with the EU).

Crucially, they don't feel the need to engage in any substantive debate or provide any evidence. This is because they WON the referendum and therefore what THEY believe has been proven right, and all the claims of the 'remoaners' must therefore be wrong. The side that told the truth won, and the side that lied didn't.

Many are convinced that nothing bad will come of Brexit and dismiss all predictions of trouble as 'Project Fear' - without any evidence - of course. Typically, such people are either wealthy enough to believe they are untouchable (the affluent pensioners of the Shires) or engaged in the sort of miserable daily struggle to get by that makes them think that things can't get any worse. (They might want to take a look at the poor in the USA to get an insight into what the right wing Conservatives have planned for them). Simplistic bluster about German carmakers and Europeans needing us more than we need them tends to feature heavily, despite these German carmakers leaving it very late to intervene.A complete inability to understand the simplest tenets of international trade and basic mathematical issues such as proportion is a common theme.

Others, weirdly, seem to actively welcome any impending crisis. It's a sort of crazy 'disaster nationalism' in which hardship will 'sort the snowflakes out' and prove our 'British grit' to Jonny Foreigner, laying the foundations for an imagined glorious future. In their world, the EU will be more damaged by Brexit than the UK, as the idiotic lies that 'they need us more than we need them' have since been established as 'truth' through the victory of these claims in the referendum. Therefore - snowflakes aside - the UK will endure a manageable minor blip, whereas the 'failing EU' and its inferior 'continental' people will collapse into ruin without British cash.

They seem to think that a no-deal Brexit will be a disaster for people like Gary Lineker, James O'Brien and J.K Rowling, yet somehow they themselves will thrive. Or, that they can endure the pain, whereas the wealthy elite will suffer greatly. Yes, people who are a couple of paychecks away from losing their home actually think liberal multi-millionaires will be ruined by the economic consequences of the country severing all ties with our largest markets, while they will simply keep calm and carry on.

Many older Brexiters hark back to World War 2 as proof of our superior backbone. Having grown up in the aftermath of the War - but not having experienced it themselves - it has remained an enduring lifetime obsession. It seems to inspire some to wish for their own entirely safe 'war' with 'the continent' before they die. Those who were born AFTER World War 2 often tell us about how 'everyone' will pull together in times of crisis as 'they' did when German bombs fell, forgetting the not unimportant fact that 52% of those taking refuge in bomb shelters didn't actually vote for the Luftwaffe to bomb them.

A worrying number believe that any price will be worth it to purge the nation of immigrants.

It's easy to take the piss out of these people, but it's important to note three things:

1. They will never change their minds.

2. They vote.

3. Dominic Cummings is going to try and get every single one of them to vote for Boris Johnson, and if they do, he will win a thumping majority. Britain will then be a very, very different place by 2025.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... k#comments
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:49 pm Phillip Lee has left the Tories and joined the Lib Dems. Boris’ working majority has now gone.
My favourite part of this is all the Daily Mail commenters demanding tha he be deselected before the next election. Er guys, he's deselected himself :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wait a minute, that sounds familiar.
:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:40 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:49 pm Phillip Lee has left the Tories and joined the Lib Dems. Boris’ working majority has now gone.
My favourite part of this is all the Daily Mail commenters demanding tha he be deselected before the next election. Er guys, he's deselected himself :lol:
The Daily Mail and its readership clearly deserve each other.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:17 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:40 pm
The Daily Mail and its readership clearly deserve a bullet to the head.
Fixed that for you.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hard to argue with that.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

That’ll do nicely. Round 2 tomorrow.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Did you hear the shout straight after the count was read out?

"It's not a good start Boris". :D

So clear and perfectly timed just before Bercow parroted the count, one almost assumed it was a clerk that shouted it.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I propose that all politicians assemble in the Palace of Westminster on the 5th November.

We have until then to develop a time machine and pop back to 1605. 😁
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

That would coincide with my birthday so I call first dibs on lighting the fuse :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It's pretty sad to see what the Conservatives have become. As Ken Clarke put it, they have basically become the Brexit Party / UKIP.

I can't see myself voting for them any time soon.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Phillip Lee is my local MP and as far as I can tell has done a pretty good job around here. If he stands for the Lib Dems then that’s who I’ll be voting for.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The Conservative party is fucked. The Anti-No Deal legislation will win today, the GE won’t and Boris will have to admit we can’t leave by the 31st (unless he pulls a deal from out of his arse somehow, which considering he’s not even been negotiating will be a miracle). Then, after the 31st there’ll be a No Confidence vote and the Brexit Party will split the remaining Tory vote and we’ll get a Lib/Lab coalition. You heard it here first.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Or put so many conditions/objections in the bill it has no chance of getting approved in law by the house of lords in time? Just one of many other ideas ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

So I see we solved the undesirable situation of the PM having the power to call an election for political gain by replacing it with a situation where he's beholden to a majority in parliament that think they'd lose an election and therefore don't want one called for err... political gain. Well done draftsmen of the Fixed Term Parliament Act :roll:
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am a Lib/Lab coalition
Presumably that would only be possible if Corbyn is deposed as leader? Given they can't force him out without a vote of the members, that doesn't seem that likely.

Otherwise, Swinson would have to do a U turn on collaborating with the hard left Corbynites - if you thought the Con/Lab coalition damaged the reputation of the Lib Dems, it wouldn't hold a candle to that partnership...