Bye Bye Boris!

JLv3.0

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by JLv3.0 »

Being governed by Europe doesn't sound so bad now, eh lads :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:53 am Being governed by Europe doesn't sound so bad now, eh lads :lol:
This sort of sh1t is their bread and butter ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am Rely on the queen to do what? Not take the advice of the Privy counselors and make a separate determination - that is a constitutional crisis.
I haven't seen any report of advice from the Privy Council to the Queen. I've seen a copy of Boris's letter stating that he has requested that she bring this Parliamentary session to a close Got any more detail?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

WTAF? For a start, how the fvck were they allowed to take their normal summer recess given the shit storm that's going on. And now they just want to suspend parliament???

This is definitely a storyline from The Thick of It where Malcolm says they should just suspend parliament and put their heads under the covers until its all over and just see what happens.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I didn't realise that Parliament remained in session while the MPs went off for a couple of months on their summer holidays. Surely the time to end a session and start a new one is over the summer?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am Rely on the queen to do what? Not take the advice of the Privy counselors and make a separate determination - that is a constitutional crisis.
Orf with their heads!
Marv

Post by Marv »

The longer this goes on, the more evident it is that our political system needs major reform.
Oui, je suis un motard.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Be careful what you wish for. The last attempt at that was the Fixed Term Parliaments Act which I think its fair to say is universally acknowledged as creating as many issues as it solved.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Its a very sad day when Sourberries is on both the BBC and Sky news :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm Be careful what you wish for. The last attempt at that was the Fixed Term Parliaments Act which I think its fair to say is universally acknowledged as creating as many issues as it solved.
It can't get much worse than a prime minister no one voted for holding parliament to ransom until he get's the awful thing no one asked for, can it?
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m enjoying his sense of drive.

The exchange rate for me is going up and down like a drunk in a lift though :lol:

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The number of people gleefully supporting this action (not necessarily here, btw), simply because it delivers the thing they want, without thinking it through is staggering.

Could you imagine this happening on any other subject? Abolishing the NHS? Scrapping pensions? Banning abortion? Introducing a night curfew? Annexing Eire? It’s a genuine slippery slope. If they can do this now, then we have no democratic control whatsoever.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

For that analogy to work, however, you'd be assuming all of those things were set into law by parliament but whose implementation was delayed indefinitely and then forced through by proroguing parliament. Its not really on all fours with the current (highly unusual) situation.

I admit we here have a situation where parliament anticipated a deal or at least wilfuly closed their eyes to the possibility of no deal and is now having it thrust upon them. That is at least a case of negligence in the lawmaking process with regard to the terms of the withdrawal agreement if they weren't willing to contemplate that outcome.

In reality they were working on the assumption May would never take them out without a deal (despite having said that) and got caught out by Johnson becoming PM. It was bad political judgment.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:17 pm The number of people gleefully supporting this action (not necessarily here, btw), simply because it delivers the thing they want, without thinking it through is staggering.

Could you imagine this happening on any other subject? Abolishing the NHS? Scrapping pensions? Banning abortion? Introducing a night curfew? Annexing Eire? It’s a genuine slippery slope. If they can do this now, then we have no democratic control whatsoever.
Not wanting to get in a long drawn out debate on this, again, take time to look at the situation from a sales point of view. Having no deal on the table is needed to get the best possible solution to this mess (and I agree it is one).
evostick

Post by evostick »

I think that we can probably all agree that the person most happy with the news this morning is the duke of York.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:22 pm For that analogy to work, however, you'd be assuming all of those things were set into law by parliament but whose implementation was delayed indefinitely and then forced through by proroguing parliament. Its not really on all fours with the current (highly unusual) situation.

I admit we here have a situation where parliament anticipated a deal or at least wilfuly closed their eyes to the possibility of no deal and is now having it thrust upon them. That is at least a case of negligence in the lawmaking process with regard to the terms of the withdrawal agreement if they weren't willing to contemplate that outcome.

In reality they were working on the assumption May would never take them out without a deal (despite having said that) and got caught out by Johnson becoming PM. It was bad political judgment.
Dress it up how you like, GG, if it makes you more comfortable, but a Prime Minister who has never fought an election, who does not command a majority, is suspending the democratically elected Parliament in order to deliver something that Parliament has voted against on 3 occasions. Are you seriously happy with that, just because it delivers Brexit?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:26 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:17 pm The number of people gleefully supporting this action (not necessarily here, btw), simply because it delivers the thing they want, without thinking it through is staggering.

Not wanting to get in a long drawn out debate on this, again, take time to look at the situation from a sales point of view. Having no deal on the table is needed to get the best possible solution to this mess (and I agree it is one).
This isn’t sales. It’s our economic and political future, as well as our democracy.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Discussion is pointless.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:39 pm Discussion is pointless.
Best not let Parliament do it then.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

evostick wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm I think that we can probably all agree that the person most happy with the news this morning is the duke of York.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shagging 17 year olds is ok here :D