Bye Bye Boris!

duncs500

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by duncs500 »

I haven't seen any evidence of an increase in abusive behavior towards immigrants. I've heard a few stories, but they're not different or more frequent from the ones I heard long before Brexit (for those that don't remember, my wife is Polish and so for the last 8 years I've been regaled with all her experiences and that of the people she knows).

I think there's a certain increased fear factor among immigrants from the EU due to Brexit, which perhaps might mean when something does happen they are more likely to attribute it to Brexit, but the idiots have always been there, I don't think there's suddenly a lot more of them. In fact, at the moment I'm lucky enough to work in a hugely diverse team of races and nationalities, and it's quite clear in my experience that we live in the most enlightened and tolerant era that I've ever known.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:31 pm Do we think the reduction in Boris' majority will precipitate an early election? He's got zero chance of getting a deal through, surely?
He has a working majority of 1 when you include the DUP.

There are some Tory MPs who will actively vote against the Government and whip; Hammond, Grieve, Clarke etc. They aren’t going to be swayed easily and apparently there are 20 or so of them.

So he’s got zero chance of pushing anything through against the wishes of the House.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 am I haven't seen any evidence of an increase in abusive behavior towards immigrants. I've heard a few stories, but they're not different or more frequent from the ones I heard long before Brexit (for those that don't remember, my wife is Polish and so for the last 8 years I've been regaled with all her experiences and that of the people she knows).

I think there's a certain increased fear factor among immigrants from the EU due to Brexit, which perhaps might mean when something does happen they are more likely to attribute it to Brexit, but the idiots have always been there, I don't think there's suddenly a lot more of them. In fact, at the moment I'm lucky enough to work in a hugely diverse team of races and nationalities, and it's quite clear in my experience that we live in the most enlightened and tolerant era that I've ever known.
Same, and I spent 7 months sleeping in a hospital chatting to nurses which were mostly from Eastern Europe and they didn’t mention any changes but the South East and London don’t care as much anyway as it’s all much more multicultural.
I’m a bit disappointed in the people who decided to pack bags and return to their home countries due to racism - the world would be a really sad place if everyone had that attitude and no equality rights would have been created in the first place.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 am
duncs500 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 am I haven't seen any evidence of an increase in abusive behavior towards immigrants. I've heard a few stories, but they're not different or more frequent from the ones I heard long before Brexit (for those that don't remember, my wife is Polish and so for the last 8 years I've been regaled with all her experiences and that of the people she knows).

Same, and I spent 7 months sleeping in a hospital chatting to nurses which were mostly from Eastern Europe and they didn’t mention any changes but the South East and London don’t care as much anyway as it’s all much more multicultural.
I’m a bit disappointed in the people who decided to pack bags and return to their home countries due to racism - the world would be a really sad place if everyone had that attitude and no equality rights would have been created in the first place.
The ones I was talking about didn’t go back to their home countries, they went to other EU countries (Germany, Ireland, France and Italy IIRC)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Had those incidents that encouraged them to leave happened to them though Rev? Or had the media given the impression to them that these sort of things were on the rise? After the result the wife was worried for a while too, and I remember her showing me a few media bits about stuff happening around that time, but nothing happened to her or the people she knows and things seem to have moved on.

Of course it still happens and right around the time of the referendum I'm sure a few people crawled out of the woodwork, but I'd suggest the decent majority have put most of them back in their box.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:05 am Had those incidents that encouraged them to leave happened to them though Rev?
Yes.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

My b-i-l has worked with a lot of Polish in particular. He says of those he knows that have gone back most were because back home has come on so far they no longer feel they need to be here to earn a good wage. He also said there's a few that don't want to go back because they've realised how rude their people come across back home, and they're used to the more polite English nature now :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

There are certainly quite a number of eastern Europeans that, having mostly initially been economic immigrants, have come to love this country and couldn't entertain going back home.

On the other hand, there are economic immigrants who are here solely to be wealthy when they go back home, or send money back. Some of these people despise the culture and people in this country and just slag the whole place off. Wife knows some of these, and her opinion is that they should fuck off back if they hate it so much.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ah, so is it finally constitutional crisis time?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Could the Queen say no or is it just a formality at this point?

Got to love this good old fashioned democracy.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

A minority government suspends the democratically elected parliament to force through divisive legislation. We watched similar happen in South American countries, African nations and Balkan states and shook our heads. Now it’s happening here. How far we’ve fallen in such a short space of time.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:27 am A minority government suspends the democratically elected parliament to force through divisive legislation. We watched similar happen in South American countries, African nations and Balkan states and shook our heads. Now it’s happening here. How far we’ve fallen in such a short space of time.
:lol:

Dry 'em.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

evostick wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:29 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:27 am A minority government suspends the democratically elected parliament to force through divisive legislation. We watched similar happen in South American countries, African nations and Balkan states and shook our heads. Now it’s happening here. How far we’ve fallen in such a short space of time.
:lol:

Dry 'em.
Fascist scum.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:27 am A minority government suspends the democratically elected parliament to force through divisive legislation.
They're not 'forcing through' any legislation - its already on the statue books. If parliament didn't want the possibility of leaving in this manner the act could have been drafted differently. If they failed to foresee that this eventuality could arise then they need to take a long hard look in the mirror as part of the blame lies with them.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

We can probably rely on the Queen here, but if Parliament is suspended the MPs won't do nothing. My fiver is on a majority of the MPs bringing a case in court to stop the Government in those circumstances.

Still not a constitutional crisis; it's the sign of our constitution working.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rely on the queen to do what? Not take the advice of the Privy counselors and make a separate determination - that is a constitutional crisis.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:32 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:27 am A minority government suspends the democratically elected parliament to force through divisive legislation.
They're not 'forcing through' any legislation - its already on the statue books. If parliament didn't want the possibility of leaving in this manner the act could have been drafted differently. If they failed to foresee that this eventuality could arise then they need to take a long hard look in the mirror as part of the blame lies with them.
The blame lies with Johnson.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am Rely on the queen to do what? Not take the advice of the Privy counselors and make a separate determination - that is a constitutional crisis.
I suspect the Queen will do whatever the PC decides. But we’re in uncharted territory, I think.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Just out of interest - if Boris were to secure a new deal to take back to Parliament, would the timescales between the 14th-31st allow enough time for it to be voted on?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 am
Just out of interest - if Boris were to secure a new deal to take back to Parliament, would the timescales between the 14th-31st allow enough time for it to be voted on?
I’m not sure but they have control of the timetable. I agree on the need for certainty and we should really resolve this mess one way or another as quickly as possible, but it is absolutely unconscionable that our parliamentary democracy be dismantled to hit what is an arbitrary deadline. (Especially when told not to waste time but instead we had a Conservative leader fight followed by a parliamentary recess).
Middle-aged Dirtbag