Tool Chests

Zonda_

Re: Tool Chests

Post by Zonda_ »

Is Halfords Advanced the same as the Professional range?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:34 pm Is Halfords Advanced the same as the Professional range?
I was wondering that. I think Advanced replaced Professional.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I thought Advanced had the ball bearing roller drawers and professional didn't'?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:44 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:34 pm Is Halfords Advanced the same as the Professional range?
I was wondering that. I think Advanced replaced Professional.
Looking at the website it certainly seems that way.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:07 pm At risk of going slightly o/t, if any of you don't have ratchet spanners yet, get some. They're brill.
Wera joker spanners, I can’t bring myself to buy them as my spinner collection is ridiculous. They are bloody wonderful to work with though so I will treat myself before the year is out.

Still to organise the spanner drawer, tool organisation takes more thought and planning than buying a car, a house and having children all combined.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I spent a good day or two sorting out tools, products, devices, things and stuff a couple of years back. I still look back on the day(s) with fondness, and sometimes just stand there and look at it all 😍
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I do the same with my 3/8 driver section but most other drawers need work :geek:

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am Wera joker spanners, I can’t bring myself to buy them as my spinner collection is ridiculous. They are bloody wonderful to work with though so I will treat myself before the year is out.
Hmm, interesting, and not crazy expensive (unless you buy them from Screwfix!). I might indulge myself next time I have a tools splurge.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was going to suggest looking at pre owned Snap On stuff as the one I have must be 25 years old and it's still going strong.

Looked at the prices though and they hold their value well don't they :lol:.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Being a brand snob is expensive 😂

I've had my Halfords pro set almost 20 years and use and abuse the ratchets regularly and they're still going fine. I'm sure snap on are better built and nicer to use, but I'll carry on using my cheap stuff and spend the money elsewhere.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am Wera joker spanners, I can’t bring myself to buy them as my spinner collection is ridiculous. They are bloody wonderful to work with though so I will treat myself before the year is out.
Hmm, interesting, and not crazy expensive (unless you buy them from Screwfix!). I might indulge myself next time I have a tools splurge.
I bought some Aldi versions a little while ago and they seem great. They won't get much use so will probably last me a long time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I bought some cheap ratchet spanners from Costco last year, don’t know what brand they are but I’ve not managed to break them yet despite using them in combination with a hammer to remove rusty nuts and bolts. They were still selling them last time I was there.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:01 pm I bought some cheap ratchet spanners from Costco last year, don’t know what brand they are but I’ve not managed to break them yet despite using them in combination with a hammer to remove rusty nuts and bolts. They were still selling them last time I was there.
You animal 🙄
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:38 pm Being a brand snob is expensive 😂

I've had my Halfords pro set almost 20 years and use and abuse the ratchets regularly and they're still going fine. I'm sure snap on are better built and nicer to use, but I'll carry on using my cheap stuff and spend the money elsewhere.
TBF I got mine’s for free I’m tempted to sell it now I know how much it’s worth :lol:.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Carlos wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:01 pm I bought some cheap ratchet spanners from Costco last year, don’t know what brand they are but I’ve not managed to break them yet despite using them in combination with a hammer to remove rusty nuts and bolts. They were still selling them last time I was there.
You animal 🙄
Think I’ve got the same. I’ve used it 3 times and seems to be holding up! Tbf, biggest threat is rust from non-usage! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I mentioned last year that my daughter was given some nice Wera tools at the start of her apprenticeship and although she's quite precious about them they are kept in a unlocked backpack on wheels and some prick in work has stolen a couple of the sets this week !

Can someone recommend a good quality bag/luggage lock as they all look pretty flimsy on Amazon ?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Carlos wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:57 pm I mentioned last year that my daughter was given some nice Wera tools at the start of her apprenticeship and although she's quite precious about them they are kept in a unlocked backpack on wheels and some prick in work has stolen a couple of the sets this week !

Can someone recommend a good quality bag/luggage lock as they all look pretty flimsy on Amazon ?
What utter scumbag would do that? Unbelievable...

My tools are in an absolute mess and I was trying to put-off buying a chest and some wall mounted stuff, but I might have to finally bite the bullet. Facebook Marketplace is first stop...
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Tool theft should be punishable by life in prison. Stealing someone’s livelihood and ability to earn money just so you can either sell them for 0.1% of their actual value or export them to Romania as stolen to order. Cunts
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The Swiss bags all had decent zips with good ways to lock the zips together.

Some guys use these with hardboard organisers.
https://usprotoolboxes.com/product/us- ... lley-case/

This looks quite smart for sensible money.

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/storage-an ... zQQAvD_BwE

Stanley stuff is pretty good too, then use simple padlocks.

Oh and get her a 1000 watt soldering iron so she can brand whichever tool thief wants a go.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am
Wera joker spanners, I can’t bring myself to buy them as my spinner collection is ridiculous. They are bloody wonderful to work with though so I will treat myself before the year is out.

Dave!
My daughter asked for some Joker spanners in her Xmas list but I've said no as she wants a shitload of other stuff as well !

I then felt guilty and bought her an Advent Calender with the smaller opens in :lol:

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... endar-2022

Maybe a bit lightweight for you or are you to old for an advent calender ?