Bluetooth --> FM transmitters

nuttinnew

Re: Bluetooth --> FM transmitters

Post by nuttinnew »

Is the software up to date?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You can get a Sony Bluetooth headunit for £53 from Halfords. Stop dicking about.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You do know who posted this thread, don't you?

Raspberry Pi 4 controlling a hamster-powered waterwheel operating a turntable by Page 50.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:54 am You can get a Sony Bluetooth headunit for £53 from Halfords. Stop dicking about.
it’ll look fucking awful sat in an e46 dash though. Best off going for one of the hidden box type solutions.

I have a DAB box in my e92 that pretends to be a cd changer so you can scroll through the stations on the screen using the normal buttons (like tracks). There must be something similar for e46s?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:11 amit’ll look fucking awful sat in an e46 dash though. Best off going for one of the hidden box type solutions.
Yeah, the single DIN installs do look a bit shit. I’m planning on relocating the heater controls in the Porsche and going with an Apple Play double DIN unit. I see you can do the same in the e46 and it looks better.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Double din on the e46 needs the heater box chopping about as the full size BMW units are a single din chassis with an oversize faceplate.

You can get slim fit double Dins but they're usually pretty pricey.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

If you think that double DIN unit looks 'ok' then I think you need to go to Specsavers :? and single DIN head units all look blingy as fuck.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I swapped out the Toyota head unit for a double din Andoroid Auto head unit & it's one of the best car 'mods' I've ever done. Makes driving a much better experience, which lets face it, driving an Auris in London is tantamount to self harm, so I see it as a health benefit.

But then I'm a do-er. You'll talk about it for months, change your mind several times, ditch the whole idea as the MOT will have run out & you might be getting an M3 instead, go quiet for two months & re-appear with the same car but with either A) a double din unit installed or B) a gramophone ratchet strapped into your back seat.

;) obvs.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Oh yeah, forgot to say mine is a Sony XAV-AX100 which is non blingy & is also a single din sized unit but has a double din sized display, so I doubt you'd have to chop anything about.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Beany

Post by Beany »

So we've gone from £15 bluetooth FM transmitters to £300+ double DIN head units that involve junking the sunglasses cubby and moving the AC controls.

The OV9 forum delivers 8-)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Gwaredd wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm Oh yeah, forgot to say mine is a Sony XAV-AX100 which is non blingy & is also a single din sized unit but has a double din sized display, so I doubt you'd have to chop anything about.
Got same same in Audi. Likes it plenty.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:28 pm
Gwaredd wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm Oh yeah, forgot to say mine is a Sony XAV-AX100 which is non blingy & is also a single din sized unit but has a double din sized display, so I doubt you'd have to chop anything about.
That’s exactly what I’m looking at for the 996.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, but I have, you know, taste.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:57 pm Yeah, but I have, you know, taste.
Is it mushrooms? Sorry, I was mixing up taste with flavour.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:54 pm
Got one of these in the Scooby, only downside is the it only has a Single USB connection, where the JVC version I have in the Navara has 2, meaning that a phone can do navigation, while you can have a permanently connected USB key with tunes on (because the wife can't be arsed with phone connectivity when she doesn't want sat nav).
JVC is full double DIN and fan cooled too.
Down side of the JVC is that it only has vol up/down and home physical buttons which isn't a problem with the navara as it has steering remote buttons for everything else. Scoob doesn't so I chose the Sony for the extra buttons and rotary volume knob.
They are both minor niggles though and suit both vehicles well.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:31 pm Quick scan of bluetooth cassette adapters is that they're noisy and not that good on some auto-reverse systems...
mine worked well in my Audi iirc
Left over crest; tightens.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Got one of these in the Scooby, only downside is the it only has a Single USB connection, where the JVC version I have in the Navara has 2, meaning that a phone can do navigation, while you can have a permanently connected USB key with tunes on (because the wife can't be arsed with phone connectivity when she doesn't want sat nav).
JVC is full double DIN and fan cooled too.
I only stream from my phone so not an issue for me. I find the idea of using any physical device to transfer data archaic these days 😂
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Just FYI, double DIN head units would involve losing the sunglasses cubby.

On a convertible.

So that's not happening ;)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

More on this subject the instant further information is available, please.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Beany wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 pm So we've gone from £15 bluetooth FM transmitters to £300+ double DIN head units that involve junking the sunglasses cubby and moving the AC controls.

The OV9 forum delivers 8-)
You COULD just buy one of those FM transmitters from Amazon for £15 then return it if it’s shit? The whole process would have been quicker than this thread. VERY WORST CASE, you somehow lose £15