Bluetooth --> FM transmitters

Beany

Bluetooth --> FM transmitters

Post by Beany »

You know, for in your car, for when you're too cheap/idle to replace your casette based headunit with some dodgy chinese Android shite.

Anyone used one? Any recommendations? Are they any cop, or are they just cheaper chinese shite?
mik

Re: Bluetooth --> FM transmitters

Post by mik »

Used a Belkin one years ago - only do it if you have no other options. (They do work, but i found sound quality was pretty mince).
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

As per Bluetooth itself - a good idea in theory that is total shite in practice. Better off hardwiring a WiFi receiver into the AUX input and connecting over WiFi. Neet Airstream or something.

Tbh I'd be on the lookout for one of those cassette input thingies. Are they still a thing?
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm As per Bluetooth itself - a good idea in theory that is total shite in practice. Better off hardwiring a WiFi receiver into the AUX input and connecting over WiFi. Neet Airstream or something.

Tbh I'd be on the lookout for one of those cassette input thingies. Are they still a thing?
Yeah, but that involves having the phone in the cabin, not in my pocket, more wires, etc.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Sadly my post above marks the outer limit of my interest in this topic so you're on your own now :D
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

My dad has one he bought off ebay that works really well. Hard pressed to tell its not a CD/Mp3 playing.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Banal Vapid Platitudes
Beany

Post by Beany »

Quick scan of bluetooth cassette adapters is that they're noisy and not that good on some auto-reverse systems...
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Can your cassette jobby control a cd changer? If so, get summat that fits that hole.
Beany

Post by Beany »

nuttinnew wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:37 pm Can your cassette jobby control a cd changer? If so, get summat that fits that hole.
I've got a CD changer, but I'm bored of my current six CDs and my laptop doesn't have an optical drive soooooo......
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If only you could buy a USB CD writer...
I still rip CDs for my cars.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:37 pm Can your cassette jobby control a cd changer? If so, get summat that fits that hole.
I've got a CD changer, but I'm bored of my current six CDs and my laptop doesn't have an optical drive soooooo......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yatour-Bluet ... Sw8-tWZ9QA
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm
Beany’s going to buy a new laptop, isn’t he!? 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:43 pm If only you could buy a USB CD writer...
I still rip CDs for my cars.
I used to have an iPod compatible head unit in the puma so I'm used to chopping and changing the music on a daily basis. CD burning really doesn't mix with that level of indecision.

I'm so bored of the six CDs I have in there now that the head unit has been off for the last month....

£80 for that wiring harness adapter doesn't look too bad, actually. Not a 'no need to think about it' purchase but would at least mean less wires.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

It means taking the headunit out but there is a hidden Aux menu that can de activated by means of a wire. I did it on mine.
scotta

Post by scotta »

solution

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 pm sound quality was pretty mince
I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Matty wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm
mik wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 pm sound quality was Fucking Shite
I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
FTFY
Beany

Post by Beany »

scotta wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm solution

fixed yer linky
Yeah, I've been looking at those, similar to the one posted above. Installation looks painful, but if you're pulling the head unit out and wanging wires in, you might as well go for one that gives steering wheel controls.

Interesting.

Edit: earlier ebay link also has steering wheel control, now that I've read it more closely - probably same device, different shell.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You can get an aux in cable for about £5 then attach to the Bluetooth device of your choice.

On ours I connected it to a Pure DAB interface which did iPod / USB input as well as dab, although I'm sure you can get Bluetooth versions now, but I went wired to keep the phone battery topped up.

Some of the later e46 headunits will play MP3s off cd, although you need to be able to burn them 😉
Cheers, Harry