Office Chairs

tim

Office Chairs

Post by tim »

I spend most of my life sat in this crappy chair at my desk, it's about time I had a new one.

I'm really tempted to go all-in with a Herman Miller Embody - just wondering if any of you lot have experience of high end office chairs.

Yes this is as "evo" as I get these days....
Beany

Re: Office Chairs

Post by Beany »

Had HM Aerons at my last place, they *are* supremely comfortable.

What we did (as a business) was to buy a job lot of damaged/incomplete chairs, then make 'good' chairs from the bits when people weren't busy.

Getting them used/missing parts and replacing any broken parts is waaay cheaper than buying them new (if dropping a grand on an office chair seems a bit much) and they are pretty bloody solid, last well, and spare parts are easily available.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Bought a 2nd hand Aeron when I started working from home full-time. Love it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I find the Aeron supremely overrated. Squab too short and wide. Back support lacking. Front of squab digs into my legs. Not worth even half the asking price.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 pm I find the Aeron supremely overrated. Squab too short and wide. Back support lacking. Front of squab digs into my legs. Not worth even half the asking price.
Pretty sure most of those parts are changeable. Certainly, in the office we had 'normal' bases and 'wideboy' bases, adjustable lumbar via elasticated addons, etc.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

We bought the Humanscale Diffrient World chairs (no, that's not a typo) at my last place. They don't have any adjustment other than arm position, but they don't need it as they move to the right position.

https://www.back2.co.uk/humanscale-diff ... black.html
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:45 pm
Simon wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 pm I find the Aeron supremely overrated. Squab too short and wide. Back support lacking. Front of squab digs into my legs. Not worth even half the asking price.
Pretty sure most of those parts are changeable. Certainly, in the office we had 'normal' bases and 'wideboy' bases, adjustable lumbar via elasticated addons, etc.
That's a 'B' sized chair. You can't make the squab both longer and narrower by changing it to a different piece, and the shape of the backrest is the same. It's the actual shape of it that's the problem. My Staples home office desk is 20 times more comfortable. I have Aeron at work. I can sit all day at home and still feel fine. At work I have to getup every hour or two.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fair enough. Most seats are very much a 'try before you buy' affair anyway, I find - but no-one at my place had any issue with them. You must have a weird shaped body ;)

I've got some ikea thing at home which isn't bad, but I have to get up from that too. This chair at work? It's a bag of shit.

Chairs are a pain in the bum.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Agree, I think the promote good posture but not comfortable.

RH400 is decent but ugly
Real-life Females
Barry

Post by Barry »

My chair is blue.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I bought a used Steelcase Leap V1 and it adjusts in all manner of ways. Just had the seat redone with new foam and fabric and it is amazing.

I can recommend it and it is cheaper than the Herman Miller ones I looked at too.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany makes a good point. No matter what you go for, make sure you try it first. One mans meat is another man's poison and all that.
Hates_

Post by Hates_ »

Had an Aeron, a Steelcase Leap and now have a Humanscale. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO. My only complaint of the Aeron is that it takes up a lot of space.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I've only ever had Aerons in the offices I've worked in - they're de facto standard issue in the city. I think they have their pros and cons but are good overall.

As mentioned above, a critical consideration is to get one in the right size. I think a lot of men using Aerons have chairs that are too small as their offices just get them all in a size two/B in the hope that will suit everybody, whereas if you're 5' 11 upwards and 85/90kgs or over, as I am, you very likely need a size three/C.

Second thing to get right is not to set the base too high - if you do it tends to dig into the underside of your legs (again as mentioned above re digging in) as it has a hard frame all around and cut off your blood supply leading to swollen ankles if you're doing stupid long hours - not good! Either set it lower or if that doesn't fit with your desk, get a footrest.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I have an impressive pile of clothes on my (stolen) aeron in the spare room.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:35 pm I have an impressive pile of clothes on my (stolen) aeron in the spare room.
It's about all they're good for...