My legs and/or head and/or other limbs

Jimmy Choo

Re: My legs and/or head and/or other limbs

Post by Jimmy Choo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 am I think fear of chainsaws is healthy.
Absolutely this. If you survive, you will feel like the most manly man EVAR, though.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You could use this as a stepping stone into a career in forestry rev. You get to play with chainsaws and large diesel vehicles all day.

Would’ve been the best job I ever had if the weather wasn’t so Scottish :lol:.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 am You could use this as a stepping stone into a career in forestry rev. You get to play with chainsaws and large diesel vehicles all day.

Would’ve been the best job I ever had if the weather wasn’t so Scottish :lol:.
I’ve said this for years whenever I’ve had a bad day at work. When you cut down a tree, it falls down. You don’t have to turn it off and on again. :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am I just wear ear protection and my normal glasses to keep the sawdust from going in my eye. As long as you know basic physics such as which way
I wouldn't wear normal glasses, you want something shatterproof in case it kicks up a stone or the chain breaks. That's why most forestry hard hats have mesh visors.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My glasses have always been polycarbonate which is shatterproof (never come across any with actual glass lenses). I’ll wear the forestry helmet if I’m using the saw quite high just to avoid getting covered in sawdust and it will fire it all towards you but that’s quite rare. Not too worried about chain breaks as that’s mostly from poor technique regarding tension again and pinching the blade, overheating it and poor maintenance.
Ok there’s a freak chance that it has a manufacturing flaw and may just let go but I don’t want to live in a health and safety bubble.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am :lol: I’m surprised with the amount of fear over then on here. I just wear ear protection and my normal glasses to keep the sawdust from going in my eye. As long as you know basic physics such as which way tension works and the dangerous parts of the blade you’ll be fine doing garden work. De-limbing and working in dense areas can be dangerous because if there’s lots of crap near your blade you can inadvertently catch something on the tip and kick back so be aware of the whole length of your blade and not just the bit that’s cutting.
You’ll need to re-tension your chain after 10-15 mins of use as it’s new and will stretch - some people think it looks cool to have it dangling an inch below the bar but they probably won’t have all their fingers for long.
Don’t forget the bar oil, I worked with an idiot once who burned out his saw in 10 minutes as he didn’t realise it needed that. You can just use vegetable oil if it’s more convenient and you don’t want to buy a large bottle as you don’t use much.
I’ve seen you use a winch, I’ll take your safety advice with a pinch of salt.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

I used an extending electric chainsaw at the weekend - it gets use about once a year to remove branches n shizzle. Is pretty awkward to hold when it’s at full (around 2m?) reach. Reading this I now feel a bit foolish that I gave zero consideration to any PPE. I think I had gloves on, but certainly no hard-hat / eye protection / anything else sensible. :|
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:23 pm
I’ve seen you use a winch, I’ll take your safety advice with a pinch of salt.

Dave!
I did use a winch weight for the bigger rocks which required sitting in the car to use the brake rather than being able to hide behind the car using the long winch controller.
See, safe as a nuns bum.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:36 pm I used an extending electric chainsaw at the weekend - it gets use about once a year to remove branches n shizzle. Is pretty awkward to hold when it’s at full (around 2m?) reach. Reading this I now feel a bit foolish that I gave zero consideration to any PPE. I think I had gloves on, but certainly no hard-hat / eye protection / anything else sensible. :|
It depends on what you're using it for tbh. If I were just trimming some branches with an electric saw I probably wouldn't wear anything, If I was working with a petrol saw for any length of time I'd wear gloves, glasses and ear defenders.

I'd only get the full on suit and hard hat again if I was going back to do it as a job. You can end up spending so much on stuff it would've been cheaper to just pay a guy to do it for you :lol:.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think Mik’s on about a pole saw - you’d deserve a Darwin Award if you managed to hit yourself with one of those!
evostick

Post by evostick »

I usually default to a pole saw at work as it negates the requirement for any PPE whatsoever. You just have to close your eyes when the wind's blowing the wrong way.

Proper chainsaw means putting on a pair of shades and concentrating on the job a lot more.
mik

Post by mik »

I have just googled pole-saw.

Yes - I was referring to a pole-saw.

And no I didn’t hit myself or chop and bodily items off.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Chainsaws are fun but, as a noodle-armed shiny-arsed office dweller, quite knackering.

Stupidly, I forgot to take "before" pictures of the wilderness. Rain has stopped play for now. I've done about 1/4 of the garden in about an hour an a half, I just need to feed it all through my new shredder and turn the bigger stuff into firewood size logs. It's not the best wood but I know someone who'd gladly have it for free for his burner.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

You had your fun, and that's all that matters.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There are things that are dangerous I’m happy doing

There are things that are dangerous I’ve hurt myself doing and no longer do (Deep trying home made chips in an Saucepan of hot oil... ;) :shock:

There are things that are dangerous that I’ve filed in the “Fuck Right Off” folder - Chainsaws are in that folder... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 pm Chainsaws are fun but, as a noodle-armed shiny-arsed office dweller, quite knackering.
Wheelbarrows. Fucking evil bastards and impossible to drive.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’ve never had any issues using chainsaws - just don’t be a dick and it’s just another tool.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:37 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 pm Chainsaws are fun but, as a noodle-armed shiny-arsed office dweller, quite knackering.
Wheelbarrows. Fucking evil bastards and impossible to drive.
Richard

Post by Richard »

This sounds like an excellent project

Youll have a noticeable outcome at the end, with less horrible bushes or whatever

You’ll have the great sense of accomplishment

You’ll have saved a few quid

You’ll end up with a chainsaw

Sounds great
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Filled my 80 litre garden waste wheelie bin with chippings. They're due to empty it today, so hopefully they'll come soon so I can carry on.
Middle-aged Dirtbag