Buying cars on finance and modding them

Broccers

Buying cars on finance and modding them

Post by Broccers »

I'm sure a fair few have seen the guy with a BMW comp moaning they are not happy about him changing their vehicle.

Do people really think it's ok to modify cars that are on manufacturers finance? I've seen one or two over the years do it but they don't have YouTube channels.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Buying cars on finance and modding them

Post by IanF »

The only car I have on finance is the M4 (0% ftw*). I don’t think people of our age do shit like that, the kidz however...

*GFV - sometimes cheaper
Cheers,

Ian
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes us 45 plusses usually have more sense. But if you plan to buy the vehicle at the end it would probably be Ok to do while it's currently 'not yours'.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Why would you want to spend money upgrading something that’s not yours. I guess a remap is just about the limit, about the cheapest thing you can do for a real performance increase and easily removed.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 pm Why would you want to spend money upgrading something that’s not yours. I guess a remap is just about the limit, about the cheapest thing you can do for a real performance increase and easily removed.
Because when you finance a car you 'may' plan on keeping it at the end - fulfill the balloon / balance whatever. You can also take everything off, sell the bits for a profit if they happen to be given / cheap if you are a journo / reporter / influencer /*whatever.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But you’ll probably have to give it in for a service during that finance period won’t you? If you take it in with modifications presumably you’ll be caught?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm But you’ll probably have to give it in for a service during that finance period won’t you? If you take it in with modifications presumably you’ll be caught?
If you were doing this you may not get it serviced at the same dealer you bought it from :D

As from a lease point of view if you choose to buy your car after 2/3 years then they dont send anyone to look at it, check the miles or condition - you are given a figure and you pay. Job jobbed. The same would be expected on finance if you are paying the balloon why would anyone care?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm But you’ll probably have to give it in for a service during that finance period won’t you? If you take it in with modifications presumably you’ll be caught?
If you were doing this you may not get it serviced at the same dealer you bought it from :D

As from a lease point of view if you choose to buy your car after 2/3 years then they dont send anyone to look at it, check the miles or condition - you are given a figure and you pay. Job jobbed. The same would be expected on finance if you are paying the balloon why would anyone care?
just don’t go posting your mods on YouTube before you’ve paid the balloon!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So how can I lease and modify a car as a youtube-insta-twatafluencer?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm

just don’t go posting your mods on YouTube before you’ve paid the balloon!
Its an interesting topic if you look at TGE and the other london tubers they seem to molest all their cars on finance - I have no doubt they are paying more than 0 percent but surely the risk is based on the car being un fucked up?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

A sneaky, reversible remap is one thing. Doing engine internals, turbo, methanol injection etc. and doubling the power is taking the piss.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

What happens with general servicing ?

Say for example the car has a recall and you don’t take it in, does the manufacturer know ?

If you take it in for a service and it’s noted that you have a different exhaust, alloysbor similar do they know it’s a financed car and tell the manufacturer?

It’s a big risk and a bit silly imo. Unless you are leasing for its cost effectiveness and you are still able to pay for the car, the numbers involved must be huge because I bet the manufacturer dictates the value and you have no say ?

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Meh, everyone is free to take whatever risk they want. It is a risk though, as we’ve seen.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Oh, I have no problem with people taking risks as long as they understand the consequences, it's when they completely disregard something they have signed and probably been told about several times, and then bitch about it for all the world to see which grates.

Maybe they were going to buy it at the end, if they were then they need to understand it's not theirs to do as they please with until then.

Regarding servicing, I expect most places aren't bothered as long as it flags up ok on a quick service scan.

If it goes in for a warranty claim on a blown engine then I expect they dig a bit deeper.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am Meh, everyone is free to take whatever risk they want. It is a risk though, as we’ve seen.
I think the point is that people don't understand the risk before they take it.

(or they're taking a millennial "I should be allowed to do whatever I want and everything is somebody else's fault" view)
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 am
(or they're taking a millennial "I should be allowed to do whatever I want and everything is somebody else's fault" view)

THIS!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The guy (LLF) that sparked this thread seemed fairly resolved to the fact that he had done wrong, even if he didn’t realise it iwhen he was doing it though.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am The guy (LLF) that sparked this thread seemed fairly resolved to the fact that he had done wrong, even if he didn’t realise it iwhen he was doing it though.
Yeah it did seem more like a cautionary tale rather than a bitch/moan at BMW.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

240PP wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am The guy (LLF) that sparked this thread seemed fairly resolved to the fact that he had done wrong, even if he didn’t realise it iwhen he was doing it though.
Yeah it did seem more like a cautionary tale rather than a bitch/moan at BMW.
Yep, to be fair to him he took full responsibility other than the “no one told me” bit. Read shit before signing shit, people.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ste

Post by ste »

Apart from having a debt, this is what puts me off financing somethign most. I hate that I can't lower my Polo.