Buying cars on finance and modding them

mik

Re: Buying cars on finance and modding them

Post by mik »

ste wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 am I hate that I can't lower my Polo.
Notaeuphamism.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

This is uncanny (Emerson Cod)

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

240PP wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 pm This is uncanny (Emerson Cod)

:lol:
M235i
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

240PP wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 pm This is uncanny (Emerson Cod)

He looks sad.

Did he modify a car that was on finance and only then realise what the consequences are?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am
240PP wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am The guy (LLF) that sparked this thread seemed fairly resolved to the fact that he had done wrong, even if he didn’t realise it iwhen he was doing it though.
Yeah it did seem more like a cautionary tale rather than a bitch/moan at BMW.
Yep, to be fair to him he took full responsibility other than the “no one told me” bit. Read shit before signing shit, people.
Would seem to be a bit of simpleton if he doesn't understand the difference between HP and PCP. Either that or was caught in the shiny, shiny headlights and couldn't believe his luck about getting the price and being accepted so didn't think about what he was signing up to.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

HP would still have the same restriction - it's not yours until the finance is fully paid up.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's the 'Hire' in 'Hire Purchase'.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:27 pm It's the 'Hire' in 'Hire Purchase'.
#explaininGG
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Would you like some Hire Purchase sauce on that mansplaining?
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

LOL. Ok, but some people need the obvious pointing out to them ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:12 pm HP would still have the same restriction - it's not yours until the finance is fully paid up.
Maybe I’m thinking old skool hp where there was never a balloon payment at the end or hand back with an agreed value but the finance companies never seemed to give a shit as you were always keeping the car at the end of the agreement. I’ve only hp’d a car once and it was over 20 years ago so I can’t remember any restrictions. I know you don’t own it until final payment is made but you weren’t trying to give back something markedly different and possibly devalued at the end. You were always responsible for settling the finance in full by any means. With so many these days opting to hand back based on agreed value and use it as deposit or walk away I’m sure the conditions have probably changed over the years to suit this.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

In mine a lot of friends experience the main stealer techs don’t have the time to trawl through a car looking at modifications, nor are they actually well trained enough to properly understand what they’re looking. They barely have time to do a service properly, mostly cut corners where possible, so a remap and back box isn’t even registered by them. It’s not until you get a warranty claim on a specific modified area that you get into trouble, so a fuel pump failure on a car with a modified exhaust still wouldn’t register on the techs radar because they just want to diagnose the issue and change the part as fast as possible to get their managers off their backs. An engine going bang and a different turbo would be obvious but the bonnet vents, lowering springs, different alloys, “all mods” stickers and massive wing wouldn’t even get mentioned. Bunging your modified car in for an annual service for a stamp in the book will be just fine so long as the tech can still actually service the car without engaging more than half a brain cell in the process. Don’t forget if you modified a car and something failed under warranty then the OEM is still obliged to honour the warranty on the unrelated standard parts I.e. a door hung failing on something with an engine swap would still legally be covered.

It’s very clearly been BMW taking the hump with the YouTube guy and sticking a head on a stick, so to speak.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 pmDon’t forget if you modified a car and something failed under warranty then the OEM is still obliged to honour the warranty on the unrelated standard parts I.e. a door hung failing on something with an engine swap would still legally be covered.
Indeed they will...

Then the finance company will call in the debt...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:56 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 pmDon’t forget if you modified a car and something failed under warranty then the OEM is still obliged to honour the warranty on the unrelated standard parts I.e. a door hung failing on something with an engine swap would still legally be covered.
Indeed they will...

Then the finance company will call in the debt...
I was ignoring the finance bit for that example, but technically all you need is written permission from the finance company and you can modify the car.

I think this is why a lot of OEMs are offering dealer fit modifications, such as re-maps or lowering kits, because people can fit them without affecting the warranty and they can be added to the finance deal. Some of them even have ABI codes for insurance (I know certain Ford Mountune upgrades do)

For those who don’t want to read any more don’t bother with the rest o this post but I’m going to have a bit of a rant the other way on this topic.

For the Mustang Ford will sell you, for eight grand plus fitting, a fully warranted supercharger system to take the car up to 670bhp. It’s proper kit too, the charger is made by Whipple for example. Ford also sell their own brand insurance which they push at the point of sale, their own insurance won’t cover a bog standard dealer forecourt spec Mustang unless you have a third party tracker fitted, which could void the warranty on that particular aspect of the car :roll: I mean, fucking really???

Extreme example listed here

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... t-16378341
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I actually can't read any of that.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I’m glad I don’t have to navigate through any of this shit to be honest. I think I’ll keep playing at the cheap end of the market where these deals aren’t an option as there’s plenty of fun stuff around there.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:29 pm I’m glad I don’t have to navigate through any of this shit to be honest. I think I’ll keep playing at the cheap end of the market where these deals aren’t an option as there’s plenty of fun stuff around there.
You mean - actually owning your possessions?!! :shock:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’ll never catch on.
An absolute unit