Another mass shooting in America

ZedLeg

Re: Another mass shooting in America

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:48 pm America: Land of the Brave.

Motorcyle backfires*

No, really.

And yup, injuries from the stampede, although minor.
America in it's entirety has PTSD.
An absolute unit
Barry

Post by Barry »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:48 pm America: Land of the Brave.

Motorcyle backfires*

No, really.

And yup, injuries from the stampede, although minor.
That is amazing, for so many reasons :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jesus Christ, now will you do something about this!!! :(

27 shooing so far in Schools this year alone. It’s only May for fucks sake…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:40 am Jesus Christ, now will you do something about this!!! :(

There’s around 250 mass shootings occured in 2022 so far
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:40 am Jesus Christ, now will you do something about this!!! :(

After Sandy Hook you wouldn't have thought it possible for the US to not wake up.

But they did not. I can't even.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

jamcg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:56 am

There’s around 250 mass shootings occured in 2022 so far
And yet nothing will change…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

As long as the gun lobby has people convinced that free access to guns trump all other concerns, nothing will change. It is sickening.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Powerful stuff.
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 am As long as the gun lobby has people convinced that free access to guns trump all other concerns, nothing will change. It is sickening.
That. When COVID hit the USA and we heard reports of panic-buying of toilet rolls and small arms ammunition - I commented to a colleague in the USA that this was incredulous. I don't know her super well, but she has always come across as pretty normal and well balanced. Her response was "I'm not too worried about that - my full family is well prepared with weapons and ammo stocks, for whenever "the crazies" (air quotes over zoom call) try anything". JohnQCitizen doesn't seem to question at all the concept that the best solution is to ensure all the "good" people are armed to protect from the bad people. :?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:50 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 am As long as the gun lobby has people convinced that free access to guns trump all other concerns, nothing will change. It is sickening.
That. When COVID hit the USA and we heard reports of panic-buying of toilet rolls and small arms ammunition - I commented to a colleague in the USA that this was incredulous. I don't know her super well, but she has always come across as pretty normal and well balanced. Her response was "I'm not too worried about that - my full family is well prepared with weapons and ammo stocks, for whenever "the crazies" (air quotes over zoom call) try anything". JohnQCitizen doesn't seem to question at all the concept that the best solution is to ensure all the "good" people are armed to protect from the bad people. :?
And don’t even question where these good people are when “the crazies” start pulling the trigger, because they’re never there when you need one
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I’ve had the gun conversation with US colleagues many times. They can’t believe we’re not allowed them and think we’re BONKERS for not wanting them.

Nothing will change. Not in our lifetime, anyway.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

What I don't understand about the "good guy with a gun" and the "we need more guns" arguments is that they already have more guns

The number of guns is constantly rising

There are more guns than people (although you can only use one gun at a time)

And I doubt that there are people who want a gun but don't yet have one

So on the assumption that everyone who wants a gun probably has one

All of the above is complete bullshit

It's sick that "my" right to bear arms trumps everyone else's rights to live in a safe society (or to just be a kid, go to school, and not have to learn "active shooter" drills and worry that I might get shot in class)
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

It's the cult-like pledge of allegiance to the flag which supports the obsessive culture over the 2nd amendment and people's determination to never shift from what they see as serving their country. You can't indoctrinate people with a dedication to the flag and ergo the constitution, THEN expect them to also roll over when that dedication to liberty goes wrong. It's a contradiction.

Seriously, which other country has formal daily flag worshipping in schools? I'm not talking about the Danish loving their flag and displaying it prominently, I'm talking about actually having a national flag worship practice that's taught in schools?
Beany

Post by Beany »

DaveE wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:18 am

There are more guns than people (although you can only use one gun at a time)
John Woo would beg to disagree.

The US Constitution really badly needs rewriting - the whole point is that it protects the pale from a tyrannical government.

They just had one. They did nothing.

As far as I'm concerned, they've lost the right to have the 2nd Amendment.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

240PP wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 am I’ve had the gun conversation with US colleagues many times. They can’t believe we’re not allowed them and think we’re BONKERS for not wanting them.

Nothing will change. Not in our lifetime, anyway.
This is a common misconception. We ARE allowed to have them, it's just strictly controlled and monitored.

I worked in the US for a short period of time in the mid-90's and it staggered me that I couldn't buy a CD from Walmart that contained naughty words in the lyrics (it was all "radio edits"), but 3 aisles down I could buy enough guns and ammunition to equip a small army.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

In 2020 guns became the single biggest cause of child mortality in the USA finally overtaking automobiles. That is fucked up!!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Powerful Stuff from Steve Kerr...

This idea of Gun "Control" is a fallacy too - If you ban all types of assault rifles, high calibre machine guns but leave Hand Guns on the table then the shootings will continue.

A guy with a modern hand gun with 4 or 5 10 bullet clips in his pocket can still kill dozens of people in that close quarters sort of location
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm sure I be read before that gun sales go up after these incidents. They're all fucking mental.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How do you protect yourself from a baddie with a gun? By buying more guns.
How about not having a sig at all?