Mmmm. Yummy.

mik

Re: BBQs

Post by mik »

That’s from Cornwall I think Si.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Some relevant Netflix I've watched recently. Don't watch hungry ;)

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80048481 - Steak from around the world, inc Argentina.

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80190990 - Argentinian BBQ and meat.

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80182274 - BBQ from around the world.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm Mmmm. Yummy.

My wife went shopping the other week and after asking her to get some corned beef she, as a vegetarian and not knowing the difference, came back saying she couldn't find it on the shelf but here's this instead - a tin of Spam.

Turns out it's surprisingly edible when fried up and put in a wrap with some mustard and gherkin (and radish) in a New York deli style.
Kids enjoyed it too.

Not sure if BBQing the stuff would add much but you never know.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

My mum used to make us Spam fritters when I was a kid. Loved them at the time. Although I suspect they'd not score well on a "healthy food" chart.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

JonMad wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:11 am
My wife went shopping the other week and after asking her to get some corned beef she, as a vegetarian and not knowing the difference, came back saying she couldn't find it on the shelf but here's this instead - a tin of Spam.

Turns out it's surprisingly edible when fried up and put in a wrap with some mustard and gherkin (and radish) in a New York deli style.
Kids enjoyed it too.

Not sure if BBQing the stuff would add much but you never know.
Grilled Spam and fried eggs is a real weekend favourite here.

Most of my Uni mates were privately educated posho's and it really confused them when I'd rock up to a BBQ with couple of tins of Spam, it always went down well unlike the lambs liver.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

:lol: excellent. maybe I'll try it then (cheap gas BBQ as well, for full effect)
Left over crest; tightens.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

mik wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am My mum used to make us Spam fritters when I was a kid. Loved them at the time. Although I suspect they'd not score well on a "healthy food" chart.
Spam Fritters was a staple at school dinners. This was SE London, not Scotland..
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:14 pm That’s from Cornwall I think Si.
Fray Bentos is owned by Baxters now, so their healthy meat-based tinned products are, perhaps unsurprisingly, Scottish :)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

New t̶o̶y̶ tool acquired 8-)

Piece of piss to use and a fantastic result.

IaFG Down Under Division
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is that an official Weber add-in or is it from a third party?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Genuine Weber. But the Onlyfire stuff is meant to be good too and a bit cheaper.

IaFG Down Under Division
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

went to a mates BBQ at the weekend - his missus cooked chicken in the oven first then let him finish them off on the gas bbq. :roll: :lol: :roll:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 am They have a long history of cattle farming so I wouldn't be surprised that you can get great beef from there.

It's also one of the global hubs for factory beef farming though so I wouldn't take it as read that just because it's from Argentina it's going to be good.

I personally wouldn't buy beef that's flown half way round the world as there are many excellent choices from here but each to their own :).
Most of it's actually very low quality crap trading off a now undeserved reputation.

John Torode had an interesting program on a couple of years ago and he was gobsmacked. It used to be prairie cattle of incredibly high quality but as demand globally soared, it couldnt be met. Plus locals could no longer afford it as the price had soared. So mega-ranches started up, like the ones in the american mid-west (I think) and started producing on a vast scale. Trouble is that nice prairie grass doesn't go far enough so it's actually all fed a grain which is packed full of hormones and other crap. He wnt to one of the ranches and the conditions they're farmed in looked pretty awful.

However, that means global demand for Argentinean beef can be met (at an unreasonably high price). In turn, a lot of the prairie cattle herds have diminished as ranchers shift to producing on a large scale.

Proper prairie raised Argentinian beef, of the quality that earned the reputation, actually comprises a very small percentage of what leaves the country and, as you might imagine, commands a very high price and is sourced specifically by those in the know.

Tl;dr don't buy it it's crap. Buy British instead
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, it's the same as Brazil. Giant ranches and stockyards that make the American ones look like homesteads. All fed on Soy grown on deforested rain forest land as it's the quickest and easiest way to get them the protein they need to bulk up.

It's a bit of a disaster if you ask me.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mmmm, I need spitroast in my life.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

This thread has just made me take the plunge and buy a decent charcoal BBQ. Just ordered a Weber Master-Touch 57cm, GBS, Limited Edition in Red for the princely sum of £209. Alos got a beer can bird roaster and some heat nuts for some longer cooking to be attempted soon!

bobnaldo

Post by bobnaldo »

I bought the blue version of this last year and was gutted to see the red one come out, wife is not happy with suggestion to buy the red one.

Great bit of kit, always cooking whole chickens on mine.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

That Weber looks great... don’t forget to update the firmware before 1st use... otherwise, the warranty will be invalid.
Cheers,

Ian
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IanF wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:20 pm That Weber looks great... don’t forget to update the firmware before 1st use... otherwise, the warranty will be invalid.
😂😂