BBQs

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: BBQs

Post by JonMad »

duncs500 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:07 am Stick it up Jon.
Some veg, earlier.
CB87AB24-BF27-4687-9E35-10C5A98FD99C.jpeg
CB87AB24-BF27-4687-9E35-10C5A98FD99C.jpeg (148.23 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Left over crest; tightens.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

German for tea 😎

Off the clock and round again, need it scorchio for the crackling.

Pork knuckles sous vide courtesy of Woolies.

Shit photo, sorry!

Served with mash, sauerkraut and mustard.
Need to up my crackling game but still pleased 👍
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Richard

Post by Richard »

Anyone got (and used) a BBQ pizza stone?

I’d like to see your results
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Richard wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:09 pm Anyone got (and used) a BBQ pizza stone?

Yes, I posted about it on here. Not impressed; the heat you’ve built up is let out by lifting the lid to put the pizza in.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Food nerds are moving to baking steels rather than stones for the reason Jobbo gave. Or a big cast iron pan.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We had some pizzas last night from a company called Pizza Pilgrim. They send you the ingredients (dough ready made etc) and instructions and they’re supposed to taste just like their restaurants pizza. You put the dough into a searing hot pan for a minute then another few mins in the oven. I was pretty impressed, they did taste like restaurant cooked pizza.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That looks good, Rich. I think it’s easier to maintain heat in an oven than on a bbq because it doesn’t all just disappear upwards when you open it.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 pm We had some pizzas last night from a company called Pizza Pilgrim. They send you the ingredients (dough ready made etc) and instructions and they’re supposed to taste just like their restaurants pizza. You put the dough into a searing hot pan for a minute then another few mins in the oven. I was pretty impressed, they did taste like restaurant cooked pizza.

I ordered this from them yesterday! Looking forward to trying it
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:21 am
Richard wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:09 pm Anyone got (and used) a BBQ pizza stone?

Yes, I posted about it on here. Not impressed; the heat you’ve built up is let out by lifting the lid to put the pizza in.
Interesting
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm That looks good, Rich. I think it’s easier to maintain heat in an oven than on a bbq because it doesn’t all just disappear upwards when you open it.
That's because you have the wrong shape BBQ. I have no issues with a kettle, lift the lid gently straight up then back down again- most of the heat is retained.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My wife and kids unexpectedly bought a Meater+ for me for Fathers Day 😎 Apparently bombarded with ads on Facebook but appreciative as I reminded her it could have been MILF ads 😂

Quick run tonight on a couple of big thick rumps circa 18oz for slicing and steak sandwiches and the timing was bob on for medium with a 5 minute warning to sear and rest whislt temp is still rising. Unfortunately the puppy ate a whole one whilst resting 😕

Simples to set up and frankly I thought they were nowhere near done so quite impressed so far.
Last edited by Carlos on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

unzippy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 am
Jobbo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm That looks good, Rich. I think it’s easier to maintain heat in an oven than on a bbq because it doesn’t all just disappear upwards when you open it.
That's because you have the wrong shape BBQ. I have no issues with a kettle, lift the lid gently straight up then back down again- most of the heat is retained.
Belms at ones self: Fucks sake :roll:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Yes, mixed results, some cooks you follow the instructions and others you ignore.

Conclsion: buy a pizza oven.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m doing a smoked brisket today. Must remember to take photos 😄

Had a couple of fillet steaks from the same butcher and cooked those on Tuesday night. Absolutely gorgeous; my wife won’t eat steak which is in any way pink, so I did the reverse sear one here after 40 mins in the oven at 50C. When it came out it looked aged, rather than cooked. Did mine next to hers on the Weber and got hers well done and mine nice and rare, next to each other. Tasted amazing; even the little piece of hers I tried. So much better than most supermarket steak.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Thought I was going to struggle to keep the temperature down to 225-250F (107-121C) with the bbq in the direct sun today. But it's staying happily at about 110C. Not a lot of smoke coming off the smoker box, though you can just smell it; I guess the charcoal bbq has a big advantage when it comes to smoking. Oh well, if it's not terribly smoky it'll still be a nicely cooked piece of brisket.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Carlos wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:52 pm My wife and kids unexpectedly bought a Meater+ for me for Fathers Day 😎 Apparently bombarded with ads on Facebook but appreciative as I reminded her it could have been MILF ads 😂

Quick run tonight on a couple of big thick rumps circa 18oz for slicing and steak sandwiches and the timing was bob on for medium with a 5 minute warning to sear and rest whislt temp is still rising. Unfortunately the puppy ate a whole one whilst resting 😕

Simples to set up and frankly I thought they were nowhere near done so quite impressed so far.
RIP little pup, you went with a full tummy!!

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Well the brisket looked nice but it didn't come out as I'd hoped.

The smoker didn't actually smoke until 6 hours in (I thought it was being gently aromatic at first, but that must have just been the smell of the wood itself), and I had to take it off when it started because it would have smoked the house out, with all its windows open on the hottest day of the year.

Ignoring the smoke failure, I thought the cooking was going pretty well. I kept the bbq temperature at about 230F (it said between 225-250F) all day, measured with two different thermometers so I think it was pretty accurate. By 6.30pm when it had been on for 9 hours, I checked the internal temp and it was just over 60C (140F); every recipe I'd found said it should get to 190-210F internal temperature to be done. I couldn't see how you could get the inside to 210F when cooking at 230F unless you left it a week, but I carried on, though I made sure it was running at 250F. By 9.30pm the internal temp was up to just over 160F (I switched my probe to Fahrenheit by this time), and since I didn't want to leave it on overnight, and at that temperature it's definitely safe to eat, I cut a slice. And it tasted good, but as it it was overdone.

What did I do wrong? Is 190F not the right internal temperature to aim for? Did I overcook it or was it not yet ready? I'm happy to leave the smoker for later experimentation but I'd like to do another brisket and get it right. It certainly looked pretty good at 6.30pm (I didn't take any photos after cutting into it, was too frustrated!)

ETA: a bit of further reading online tells me it was underdone, could easily be cooked at a slightly higher temperature, and could perhaps be rescued although that is going to take a while because it's in foil in the fridge :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Turns out it wasn’t cooked enough, but fairly easy to rescue it with another 5 hours wrapped in a low(ish) temp oven.

Here’s how it looked after that:

I’d sliced through it to check after the 12 hours on the bbq, hence not being in one piece. Tastes divine. I’ll be doing it again, at a slightly higher bbq temperature and getting the smoker working properly. I think the problem was the stall, which my controlled low temperature wasn’t enough to get through.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Did you go up to 210f internally?

I’d like to try another brisket with the better charcoal I have at the moment as it seems to stay hot for longer.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yes, after the further 5 hours in the oven at 150C 😄