BBQs

dinny_g

Re: BBQs

Post by dinny_g »

Irish cheese and my American heritage, I’m claiming a burger as native 😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

For those that grind their own burger mix, or have a willing butcher - add in 5 to 10% bone marrow.

Thank me later ;)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Grinds your own mince you say...🤔

Heads off to Amazon...😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

unzippy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 am For those that grind their own burger mix, or have a willing butcher - add in 5 to 10% bone marrow.

Thank me later ;)
I read this in the Hawksmoor recipe book the other day. Now I wonder if my local butcher can sell me some bone marrow.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:05 am Grinds your own mince you say...🤔

Heads off to Amazon...😂
Mix, not mince...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Don’t tempt me Frodo!!! :lol:

I could eat that tub in one sitting :oops:

Except for the hearts and fried eggs...🤮
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Meater arrived - much smaller and lighter than I expected.👍🏻

Charging now, will test later today
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'm intrigued by all the different thermometer options - I have a digital probe one which I just push into the meat when I want to check its temp, and I'm not convinced I actually want to buy one of these clever bluetooth jobbies. Is there a real reason to get it? If there was a way it could feed back and control the temperature of the grill I can see the purpose, but none of them do that. And you'd basically have an oven then, anyway, so might as well not bother.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I think with a Gas grill, you have a lot more consistent heat so you can use oven timings then a basic probe to check.

Can’t see the need unless you use Charcoal where temps are less consistent and the grill WILL eventually get cooler
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm I'm intrigued by all the different thermometer options - I have a digital probe one which I just push into the meat when I want to check its temp, and I'm not convinced I actually want to buy one of these clever bluetooth jobbies. Is there a real reason to get it? If there was a way it could feed back and control the temperature of the grill I can see the purpose, but none of them do that. And you'd basically have an oven then, anyway, so might as well not bother.
There are a few out there for charcoal that feedback:

https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows
https://www.bbqguru.com/

Then there is the analogue version - https://tiptoptemp.com/ - I have one of these, it's good once it's dialed in.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm I'm intrigued by all the different thermometer options - I have a digital probe one which I just push into the meat when I want to check its temp, and I'm not convinced I actually want to buy one of these clever bluetooth jobbies. Is there a real reason to get it?
Saves opening the lid to check the temp, so keeps the heat there. Lets you monitor it (meat temp + grill temp) whilst sat (e.g. with a beer) without having to get up. Shows you how the cooking is progressing on a chart so you can roughly gauge how long is left (I think the Meater one shows you the estimated time to complete but my cheaper one doesn't).
Richard

Post by Richard »

Does it take away from the “cooking” aspect though?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JonMad wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm I'm intrigued by all the different thermometer options - I have a digital probe one which I just push into the meat when I want to check its temp, and I'm not convinced I actually want to buy one of these clever bluetooth jobbies. Is there a real reason to get it?
Saves opening the lid to check the temp, so keeps the heat there. Lets you monitor it (meat temp + grill temp) whilst sat (e.g. with a beer) without having to get up. Shows you how the cooking is progressing on a chart so you can roughly gauge how long is left (I think the Meater one shows you the estimated time to complete but my cheaper one doesn't).
So you're pretty pissed by the time the 8 hour smoking has been done, yeah? :lol:

Forgot to mention that I got a stainless steel cloche and used my Weber GBS griddle yesterday to do a burger. Asda's finest steak burger is ground much more finely than Sainsbury's, responds better to being squashed flatter (no tearing) and tastes much more like the burgers you get in Wimpy; and that's not a criticism! With swiss and American cheese and using a splash of water under the cloche it tasted stupendous. Just a shame the griddle takes away so much of the usable bbq space; I might try to find a rectangular replacement for the smaller grill that I can leave in place all the time.

ETA: that isn't going to work; the cloche is round of course, and it's wider than the rectangular smaller grill :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Had a first run out with the Meater this afternoon with a Chicken we had in the freezer

It’s an awesome bit of kit. 8-) Simple to set up and perfect timing...

Mahoooosive beef Joint next! I’ll take pics of that
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Weber pizza stone wasn’t something I’d have ordered but was free, so I tried it tonight. I’m lacking a paddle and struggled a bit to get the pizzas on and off it. Would work for a thin pizza but I don’t think it’s possible to retain heat in the hood when putting pizzas in, so it’s functionally flawed. Doubt I’ll use it much more.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

bacon and egg sarnies for breakfast done on the bbq this morning 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:50 pm Weber pizza stone wasn’t something I’d have ordered but was free, so I tried it tonight. I’m lacking a paddle and struggled a bit to get the pizzas on and off it. Would work for a thin pizza but I don’t think it’s possible to retain heat in the hood when putting pizzas in, so it’s functionally flawed. Doubt I’ll use it much more.
I think the only way of getting them to work is through a thin base, minimal toppings, shit loads of flour between the stone and pizza and filling the BBQ with wood to get it as hot as possible. I’ve done a frozen pizza on mine and it was quite good, I’d be fucked if I’m swapping multiple pizzas about though, and that’s where people just buy a proper pizza oven to go on top of the BBQ.

I can’t think of anything else the stone is good for, seems a shame really :(
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, even if it worked well you’d only be able to do one at a time. It was a freebie so it’s no loss, but it made my wife want pizza so it’s a shame it didn’t work that well 😄