BBQs

Swervin_Mervin

Re: BBQs

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:43 am

Oh and briquets are full of nasty crap. You want lumpwood charcoal - HTH.
This. And preferably UK charcoal, not the cheap Chinese cr4p

I ran out last weekend, and too late to do anything about it other than get some nasty briquettes from the local peccy station. Needs must, but that must be the first time in 10-15yrs I've used them and they smelt nasty. They'll be kept for the multi-fuel stove indoors.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

GG. wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:43 am
Oh and briquets are full of nasty crap. You want lumpwood charcoal - HTH.

As with most things, there are good briquettes and rubbish ones.

Depending on how you are cooking as lump wood / briquettes have their pros and cons. Different tools for different jobs (a bit like a gas vs charcoal bbq).

Briquettes, by their nature, are uniform. So for a low and slow cook where you need to be tighter with your temps they are ideal. Where as hot and fast like sausages/drumsticks/burgers, lump is great.

There is shit lump out there too, some stuff is like 5 Nov going off in the kettle, sparks everywhere that leave black gritty specks everywhere.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

OV9 The Thrill of the Science of BBQing

I found this interesting

Join us, join the Teslarati!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Me watching that video like:

By comparison to Americans, we have such lame steaks in this country. They're so tiny, thin, and expensive...
GG.

Post by GG. »

They're only tiny and thin if you buy them from a supermarket. A good butcher will cut them to your preferred thickness. Can't argue with the expensive bit though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I tend to buy a big lump from the butcher and cut them to size myself when we do steak but it's not cheap.

Supermarkets are getting better for offering cheaper cuts that are good for sandwiches or chucking on the bbq now though. I get a cut called denver steak from morrisons that's really good for a steak sandwich. They do bavette and flatiron steaks now too.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mr Pish wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:18 am OV9 The Thrill of the Science of BBQing

I found this interesting

Cook over the top of your chimney lighter for a similar job. I’ve done this a few times and its great

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Tonight, I get to try a Pit Boss 24" Kamado Grill Ceramic BBQ, that my parents have bought. Looks good and hopefully will live up to expectations.

I currently have a Broil-King gas bbq - brilliant for big parties/quick lunches/rotisserie etc, a Weber rectangular portable one - great for beach/away-from-home bbq-ing , and a Asian style table bbq that has two ceramic layers and a water insulator that sits on your table and everyone cooks their own food (a bit like a fondue, but with flames ).

As for cleaning, I set the gas one to max before and after cooking, get it up to 250-300oC and then use the wire scraping tool. Others I just wash the grill rack when finished.
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

What is a Kamado grill? I see Aldi have been doing them this week; apparently quite good quality but £349 even at Aldi which isn't quite the impulse buy their weekly specials usually are. I'd never heard of them before.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's like the big green egg, only cheaper.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Kamado are probably the most versatile, you can pretty much do anything with them: bake a pizza, bbq, fajitas, smoke, grill... My dad likes his so much he actually wipes the stainless steel off with a micro fibre and stores it IN the garage.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

One of my mates has a small green egg and it's a cool thing, he reckons he's going to splash out on a big one this year.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 pm Kamado are probably the most versatile, you can pretty much do anything with them: bake a pizza, bbq, fajitas, smoke, grill..
I can do pizzas on my Outback Flamer. I just need to find a lid big enough to fit over my cast iron skillet - might try the garden incinerator one for size - would accord with my cheapskate tendencies :D
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm What is a Kamado grill? I see Aldi have been doing them this week; apparently quite good quality but £349 even at Aldi which isn't quite the impulse buy their weekly specials usually are. I'd never heard of them before.
£640 for this one on costco :shock:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Barbecues-Smok ... /p/1143311

Think i will stick with the £2 lidl disposable specials
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 pm It's like the big green egg, only cheaper.
Cheers - but what is it? Just a slightly heavier Weber kettle?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They're made of ceramic, because of that they retain heat better than a barbeque and they are a lot more weather resistant, they can be used as a wood fired oven as well as a grill. Much better for slow cooking than a metal barbeque. They are pretty pricey but the general idea is that they'll last much longer than a barbeque.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 pm It's like the big green egg, only cheaper.
Cheers - but what is it? Just a much much heavier Weber kettle?
Weber kettles are 15kg and I think the Kamados start off at 85!!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a massive tagine pot.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:56 pm It’s a massive tagine pot.
It's a massive waste of money if you live in the UK ;)