BBQs

duncs500

Re: BBQs

Post by duncs500 »

Looks ace. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Had a go a some short rib today, it was rather good if I do say so myself. Although given it was quite small, doing the significantly bigger one out of the two in the pack must be a 10hr job! Still looking forward to doing it, it will be epic.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I did find that the Meater was under reading by a fair amount compared to some instant read probe checks. Anyone else found that?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Bacon, Eggs and Mushrooms on the barbie this morning. I wasn't organised enough to add anything but the basics. Anyone know a good way to BBQ a hash brown or equivalent?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:38 pm I did find that the Meater was under reading by a fair amount compared to some instant read probe checks. Anyone else found that?
My nerdy chemist mate takes this stuff very seriously and tested a few instant read probes and the only one that was +- 3' was a Thermapen.

He rates the Meater as it's within 5% of the Thermapen.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Carlos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:46 am
duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:38 pm I did find that the Meater was under reading by a fair amount compared to some instant read probe checks. Anyone else found that?
My nerdy chemist mate takes this stuff very seriously and tested a few instant read probes and the only one that was +- 3' was a Thermapen.

Nerd cooks would enjoy "Cooking for geeks" by Jeff Potter. Plenty of information of the chemistry behind the flavour/texture of food.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:23 am Bacon, Eggs and Mushrooms on the barbie this morning. I wasn't organised enough to add anything but the basics. Anyone know a good way to BBQ a hash brown or equivalent?
Follow any hash brown recipe, (grated potato, chopped onion, add salt, leave 30 mins, squeeze water out with a cloth, add egg, seasoning and mix) and then either cook day before and reheat on bbq, or put a small tray/pan onto bbq and fry off with heat and transfer to rack once it’s solid
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ok good to know, yeah, the instant read was pretty cheap but has seemed reliable on the whole as far as I can tell. The Meater suggested another hour to reach temp, but the meat was just about prefect IMO, although after 6hrs I'm not sure another one would really matter. :-D I was expecting it to be quicker for such a small plate.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Today whilst WFH I set about making some belly pork burnt ends. 6hr smoke with Hickory pellets. Coated cubes of BP with sweet maple rub and left them for 18hrs in the fridge. Smoked for 3hrs at 275f then coated in a glazed made from the rub, some BBQ sauce, honey and apple and mango juice and smoked for another 2.5hrs. Bloomin' lovely. 😁😁

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

damn, they look good!
Left over crest; tightens.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Dumb question, how's the "burnt" part fit in?

But yes they look great and I recon those and cold beers would be the solution to my evening. 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Making a tray of burnt ends is cheating :lol:, they're supposed to be little treats when you go to the effort of doing proper barbeque.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

RobYob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:09 am Dumb question, how's the "burnt" part fit in?

But yes they look great and I recon those and cold beers would be the solution to my evening. 8-)
The colour comes from the "bark" that colours up from the smoking, heat and the rub. They then go in a tray with the sauce/glaze to cook for longer.

They are fabulous!!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:15 am Making a tray of burnt ends is cheating :lol:, they're supposed to be little treats when you go to the effort of doing proper barbeque.
Intrigued to know why it's cheating when it's only 1 stage of the cook??
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just a little joke, burnt ends are traditionally from the fattier part of a brisket which needs longer cooking than the leaner part. They cook the whole brisket until the leaner meat is ready then take the fattier meat off and put it back in to cook some more, it's usually darker and smokier because of this hence burnt ends. It's not normally made with pork or made by itself.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'd be interested to know his opinion on the Meater ambient read, my hunch based on no real science is that the Meater internal temps are probably pretty accurate, but that the anbient is reading high.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'll get him to check with his infra red gun wahay :D

He's in hospital today having his leg broken to sort out a knee issue ! So it will be a week or 2.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:shock: Sounds unpleasant, hopefully he has a speedy recovery!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I am going to get a thermapen though next time I have some spare cash, added to your advice above I've seen a few youtubers using them, seems like the standard. That will probably solve a lot of my problems.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:34 pm I am going to get a thermapen though next time I have some spare cash, added to your advice above I've seen a few youtubers using them, seems like the standard. That will probably solve a lot of my problems.
You see them a lot on the cooking show being used by the pros.

Sign up to https://thermapen.co.uk/ they will mail when they have a "open box sale". I've had a classic for years (with silicone cover), it's fantastic for instant read. Also got a Meater too similarly fantastic but different tools for different jobs.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division